• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Dark Knight Returns" #2 cover to be auctioned (Yahoo article)

46 posts in this topic

Not me 2c but I could see the cover going for less if the buyer of the splash isn't interested in it

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have no idea whether the buyer of the splash will be interested in it, and, if so, whether he'll be as aggressive/motivated as he was for the splash. I know the underbidder on the splash has largely retired from the hobby, so he's probably out this time around. But, maybe The Vacuum will take his place. hm

Not me 2c but I could see the cover going for less if the buyer of the splash isn't interested in it

So could I...if this was a no reserve auction. Given the offers that were made for this cover prior to it being consigned, I would expect there to be a reserve that exceeds what the splash sold for. Even if there isn't a stated reserve, the auction house could have guaranteed a minimum to the consignor and will act accordingly to make sure that minimum is met. Just speculation, of course...but my best guess is that the final hammer here will beat the splash.

I agree with all of the above, except for your conclusion. I predict the cover will have a reserve that is higher than the final price of the splash, but will fail to meet the reserve.

Scott

That's definitely a possibility. However, how many of their lots that get the pre-auction marketing blitz fail to meet the estimate? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. The previous splash, C&H, ASM #121...all of them made their estimates and "sold". As we all know, Heritage is able to bid on their own auctions and (theoretically) in a worst case scenario, they can afford to spend $500K on it themselves. It may well be worth it to them if there are no bidders at that level, both to avoid having egg on their face as well as the resultant publicity of a big "sale".

Having said that, the lots that Frank Miller personally consigned underperformed last year. Both hammered below the $50K+ estimates, with the ABSOLUTE DKR coming in at $21K. I would have thought Heritage would have helped to prop those up, if for no other reason than to keep Miller happy and secure more consignments from him. But that's not what happened.

We'll just have to wait and see, as usual.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I have no idea whether the buyer of the splash will be interested in it, and, if so, whether he'll be as aggressive/motivated as he was for the splash. I know the underbidder on the splash has largely retired from the hobby, so he's probably out this time around. But, maybe The Vacuum will take his place. hm

The presumed underbidder may not have been the underbidder. The real underbidder remains a mystery. Seems like most of the stories behind the big lots are eventually revealed, but there will always be those where the players remain in the dark (including the winner of the $155K Kirby FF page from last year...does anyone know for sure who won that?).

Sure. I can't imagine anyone showing their hand early in a half million dollar game of poker.

With the bid increments where they are, there are only going to be so many more bids on that piece. If that's you're top, no reason to let someone else beat you to the bidding.

that's a good point about the bid increments, but if you're willing to go to 500 not 400 then why bid early? If 400 happens to be your exact top then yeah you want to camp out there first, although doing it this early might embolden others too.

So could I...if this was a no reserve auction. Given the offers that were made for this cover prior to it being consigned, I would expect there to be a reserve that exceeds what the splash sold for. Even if there isn't a stated reserve, the auction house could have guaranteed a minimum to the consignor and will act accordingly to make sure that minimum is met. Just speculation, of course...but my best guess is that the final hammer here will beat the splash.

I agree with all of the above, except for your conclusion. I predict the cover will have a reserve that is higher than the final price of the splash, but will fail to meet the reserve.

Scott

That's definitely a possibility. However, how many of their lots that get the pre-auction marketing blitz fail to meet the estimate? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. The previous splash, C&H, ASM #121...all of them made their estimates and "sold". As we all know, Heritage is able to bid on their own auctions and (theoretically) in a worst case scenario, they can afford to spend $500K on it themselves. It may well be worth it to them if there are no bidders at that level, both to avoid having egg on their face as well as the resultant publicity of a big "sale".

Having said that, the lots that Frank Miller personally consigned underperformed last year. Both hammered below the $50K+ estimates, with the ABSOLUTE DKR coming in at $21K. I would have thought Heritage would have helped to prop those up, if for no other reason than to keep Miller happy and secure more consignments from him. But that's not what happened.

We'll just have to wait and see, as usual.

:acclaim:

Is that the standard wording when you opt in to having it be OK for people to send you offers, or is that something else?

The way that's worded it sounds like.... OMFG hot potato please save me lol

Yes, "make an offer" by itself isn't unusual. But it's not a default setting and is rarely attached to the big lots immediately following the auction.

I watched the auction from my phone. It appeared that the winning bid (the one single bid that tripped the reserve) came from "Heritage Live" (meaning a computer bidder) and not "Phone" or "Floor". From memory, it seems like marquee lots are won by either "Phone" or "Floor".

That and the pre-live auction bidding (just shy of the reserve) makes me go hm

Yes, "make an offer" by itself isn't unusual. But it's not a default setting and is rarely attached to the big lots immediately following the auction.

I watched the auction from my phone. It appeared that the winning bid (the one single bid that tripped the reserve) came from "Heritage Live" (meaning a computer bidder) and not "Phone" or "Floor". From memory, it seems like marquee lots are won by either "Phone" or "Floor".

Trust me. It was won and it's not for sale!

(hell no, it wasn't me)

Scott

Trust me. It was won and it's not for sale!

(hell no, it wasn't me)

Scott

Cool! Too bad there wasn't another bidder to make things more interesting

I just checked. It might be a default setting, the higher value stuff (which is still low in the context of this piece) all have make an offer turned on and I don't recall selecting that option before.

Malvin