• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, RICK STARR said:

I am having heart palpitations looking at these. A 9.6 TOS 10 and the 9.0 JIM 60 (impossible issue in grade).  (worship)

They looked pretty sweet raw.

TOS10.jpg

JIM60new.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, adamstrange said:

Got some White Mountains back from CGC.

PreHeroWMcgc.jpg

Holy Granola! I'd pay admission to see your collection:cloud9:

Hoping there's more to come...

Been playing around with the new Gallery feature :

Has some issues with sort ordering but it was a fun exercise!

If you are going to make a gallery, it sorts by the text string not the actual number. So I had to label my issues that were #1's as "01" and the #2's as "02" in the caption text for them to show in a numeric sequence. Also the in-picture Comment editing seems to fail, so you need to edit each one individually. Think it allows 500 images per gallery.

-bc

7 hours ago, mysterio said:

Great pickups bc! I got this one, and also went after the #33 that Bomber-Bob ultimately walked away with (it's the last pre-hero TOS I need now).

00082441580000111215318006.jpg

(thumbsu Too funny that you & Bob targeted the other two on my list ! Glad everyone got something they needed !

Seems like several of us are near completion - I'm down to needing a ToS #8 to complete the run (but not all in the grade I'm hunting for, so there will be some upgrading as they pop up in the wild).

Also picked up a JIM79 in an eBay auction that was in MUCH nicer condition than I expected. Will try to post that this weekend.

Down to 18 to complete the set ! Gotta make some progress on BAF :)

-bc

I haven't been picking these up much lately, but as a teenager there were very few comics that packed the punch for me that these PHM books did. I just couldn't resist this one when Bill posted it for sale..... in my experience, it was always one of the hardest to find in grade and also has one of the few Ditko covers. This is the first copy I ever owned and while the Kirby and Ditko offerings were their usual awesome, I was especially impressed by this issue's Don Heck story....which also happens to be the cover story. Oddly enough, Kirby did the splash for the story which Heck inked.... it then segues into pure Heck inked by Heck. My pal Richard and I are both Heck fans...especially the early stuff before Marvel started trying to pigeonhole him into a house style..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

FFh5ieH.jpg

ITm5BnD.jpg

6P1P41g.jpg

8XxECKp.jpg

Edited by jimjum12

4 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I haven't been picking these up much lately, but as a teenager there were very few comics that packed the punch for me that these PHM books did. I just couldn't resist this one when Bill posted it for sale..... in my experience, it was always one of the hardest to find in grade and also has one of the few Ditko covers. This is the first copy I ever owned and while the Kirby and Ditko offerings were their usual awesome, I was especially impressed by this issue's Don Heck story....which also happens to be the cover story. Oddly enough, Kirby did the splash for the story which Heck inked.... it then segues into pure Heck inked by Heck. My pal Richard and I are both Heck fans...especially the early stuff before Marvel started trying to pigeonhole him into a house style..... GOD BLESS...

FFh5ieH.jpg

ITm5BnD.jpg

6P1P41g.jpg

8XxECKp.jpg

:headbang:  Beautiful copy jimbo - glad it found a great home !

If I wasn't eyeballing something in a current auction - would have picked that one up from the sales thread. 

-bc

17 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I'd forgotten how cool that Kirby splash was! :cloud9:

Just picked up a book that I am really excited about, and will post it here when I get it in hand! (Admittedly it was kind of a preemptive strike against the sorrow I would inevitably get from tonight's Clink losses going after some of those pre-hero beauties.)

11 hours ago, mysterio said:

Ok, so I got this too (somehow, that Clink auction got pricey), but this isn't the book I was talking about a couple of posts ago. Now I really need to sell some stuff to plug the hole in my budget!

RAD180D82017823_123029.jpg

I hope BC came away with one of those like the #42 or the #67...

Great pickup @mysterio ! Really bright colors on that one & love the Everett sig below the guys knee that sorta looks like a skull.

No Strange Tales for me this Clink auction, solely focused on the Tales of Suspense 8 (an 8.0 OW/W from the other guys). That completes my ToS 1-38 run! Will try to post a group shot when it arrives.

BTW - gorgeous books in your sales thread @adamstrange - very, very tempting !

-bc

38 minutes ago, bc said:

Great pickup @mysterio ! Really bright colors on that one & love the Everett sig below the guys knee that sorta looks like a skull.

No Strange Tales for me this Clink auction, solely focused on the Tales of Suspense 8 (an 8.0 OW/W from the other guys). That completes my ToS 1-38 run! Will try to post a group shot when it arrives.

BTW - gorgeous books in your sales thread @adamstrange - very, very tempting !

-bc

I suspected that the TOS #8 might be in your sights as well. Congrats!! I need to go back and see what the #6 sold for, it seemed cheap last I saw it but I didn't see it as a huge upgrade over my 7.5.

I also went after the 8.5 TOS #34 a bit. It would have been a solid upgrade over the 7.5 White I currently own, and it also went for a very fair price I thought. But after buying this #13 plus the purchase I made yesterday morning I would have felt even more irresponsible if I had bought the #34...

I could have spent a lot more on those early Strange Tales if I had the budget at the moment. You just don't see those books very often, and 5.0-5.5 is right in my wheelhouse for the eye appeal/price combo on those.

Edited by mysterio

4 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I suspected that the TOS #8 might be in your sights as well. Congrats!! I need to go back and see what the #6 sold for, it seemed cheap last I saw it but I didn't see it as a huge upgrade over my 7.5.

I also went after the 8.5 TOS #34 a bit. It was a solid upgrade over the 7.5 White I currently own, and it also went for a very fair price I thought. But after buying this #13 plus the purchase I made yesterday morning I would have felt even more irresponsible if I had bought the #34...

I could have spent a lot more on those early Strange Tales if I had the budget at the moment. You just don't see those books very often, and 5.0-5.5 is right in my wheelhouse for the eye appeal/price combo on those.

Thanks! The ToS 6 CGC8.0 went for $756 (which is a pretty good value). Have an old label 8.5 that will stay in the vault for a long time :cloud9:

Understand the fiscal limits :) With all the quality books up for sale this year, hard to keep within the budget.

-bc