• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Mucheee1 said:

Just got this in the mail today, so I can cross another off the list.

TTA16.jpg

:headbang:  Real sharp looking copy man!

Wonder if "Dennis Klebs" looked like Thorr?

-bc

As if January isn't already the longest month, at least in my neck of the woods, add in a long wait for books won on Comic Connect. This is a book that I won back on December 19, but it seems like a full two month wait. This book is one I have wanted for a long time. The Stone Men has an iconic appeal for me. Perhaps it's the Easter Island like cover, or the great art I'm not sure.

TTA_16_RAW.JPG

This is my other recent Comic Connect win. I wasn't even aware of this title until 5 or 6 years ago when I stumbled across issue #6 at a flea market.

Spoiler

Issue #6 World of Mystery

image.jpeg.ae50062d8492fc23ce4fa666e046f153.jpeg

Careful this issue could be addictive. :whatthe:  I'm not 100% sure if this qualifies as a pre-hero Marvel, but it has to be close.

image.jpeg.089035589115ec64268f1e334b7aa38f.jpeg

Edited by frozentundraguy

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

This is my other recent Comic Connect win. I wasn't even aware of this title until 5 or 6 years ago when I stumbled across issue #6 at a flea market.

Reveal hidden contents

Careful this issue could be addictive. :whatthe:  I'm not 100% sure if this qualifies as a pre-hero Marvel, but it has to be close.

It qualifies in my book.  There’s another Everett robot cover I saw recently that I wanted really bad.  I can’t remember what title though.  Maybe Journey into Mystery?  Can someone can jog my memory?  The robot’s boots look exactly the same on the other one.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's a really nice book.

I'm not an expert on what counts as PHM ... I have focused on collecting the titles that continued into the Silver Age (AA/AAF, JIM, ST, TOS, TTA) but I also decided to try to complete a WOF run and I have picked up an occasional book from other titles if I really like the cover (like Mystic #57).  Oh, and like everyone else I recently felt compelled to put together a Black Knight run.  But I keep finding out about titles I've never heard of before ... for example I recently grabbed Strange Tales of the Unusual #1 after seeing it on Bob Storms' web site.  And now you've shown me another one that I've never seen before.

What's the best source for a definitive list of all the Atlas titles of the 1950s?

19 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's a really nice book.

I'm not an expert on what counts as PHM ... I have focused on collecting the titles that continued into the Silver Age (AA/AAF, JIM, ST, TOS, TTA) but I also decided to try to complete a WOF run and I have picked up an occasional book from other titles if I really like the cover (like Mystic #57).  Oh, and like everyone else I recently felt compelled to put together a Black Knight run.  But I keep finding out about titles I've never heard of before ... for example I recently grabbed Strange Tales of the Unusual #1 after seeing it on Bob Storms' web site.  And now you've shown me another one that I've never seen before.

What's the best source for a definitive list of all the Atlas titles of the 1950s?

I just checked on Strange Tales of the Unusual #1, that's is a really cool cover. A few months ago I picked up a couple of other Atlas books, and that got me looking and I discovered that issue 49 of Journey into Unknown Worlds also has an awesome robot cover, the invasion of the metal men

Not my copy

journeyintounk_worlds_49.jpg

When I was putting together a box of comics for Sarasota I looked at all my Marvel Kirby, Ditko monster and fantasy stuff to see if anything was worth sending in.  My TOS #31 looks nice except for the chipping.  Does anyone know how much CGC takes off for that?  I also agree with bc about misusing the word "prototype"  This monster is nothing like Dr. Doom, but CGC would probably put "prototype" on the label.  Could a customer request the following on the label instead:  "Space alien tries to take over the planet and has a face that looks like Dr. Doom's mask."  Think they'd go for it?  Ha. Ha.

Tales of Suspense #31.jpg