• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Very glad you liked it!

You know,before joining up here,I wasn't too net savvy,and locally,PHM or anything pre SA was pretty scarce.TTA and ST #1 were my long time grails,and it'd been about a decade since I'd really collected comics-girls,drink and other troubles came around fourteen,fifteen.I was determined to get those two books-they were mythical to me,I NEVER as a teen thought I'd get them.(I barely had ANY pre code Marvel monster books).I must say,I was delighted to get copies,but I'm STILL a little disappointed in the cover to Strange Tales #1,the TTA has grown on me.I'm also really grateful that I got them,and mostly finished the runs of the tales and JIM by 2010.So many of those books have went crazy price wise,especially the Journey,ST and Menace...

I've told this story before, but I was extremely lucky to have Nelson Dodds mentor me as a teenager in early Marvel SA & PHMs back in the mid '80s. Nelson had just brought the Ohio pedigree to market back in 1984 or so - I probably owned several of them before my big sell-off for my wedding in '91. I was buying a lot of early Avengers & FF regularly from him and he asked if I wanted to check out something even earlier. He handed me my first PHM I ever owned, which was an Amazing Adult Fantasy 11 and I was hooked.

I just talked with him & his son a month ago at a local convention to thank him for expanding my world of superheroes. Like a fool, I didn't get a picture.

We've likely all been there with girls, drink and other troubles - am thankful that I grew up before social media and smartphones (or I probably would have had even MORE issues with the local law enforcement community).

The ST1 cover has grown on me as I venture farther into the Atlas PCH titles and I am really liking the Menace books which are still fun to hunt even in reader grade.

I'm jealous, don't have an ST1 (or a JIM1) yet in the Vault!

1 hour ago, bc said:

I've told this story before, but I was extremely lucky to have Nelson Dodds mentor me as a teenager in early Marvel SA & PHMs back in the mid '80s. Nelson had just brought the Ohio pedigree to market back in 1984 or so - I probably owned several of them before my big sell-off for my wedding in '91. I was buying a lot of early Avengers & FF regularly from him and he asked if I wanted to check out something even earlier. He handed me my first PHM I ever owned, which was an Amazing Adult Fantasy 11 and I was hooked.

I just talked with him & his son a month ago at a local convention to thank him for expanding my world of superheroes. Like a fool, I didn't get a picture.

We've likely all been there with girls, drink and other troubles - am thankful that I grew up before social media and smartphones (or I probably would have had even MORE issues with the local law enforcement community).

The ST1 cover has grown on me as I venture farther into the Atlas PCH titles and I am really liking the Menace books which are still fun to hunt even in reader grade.

I'm jealous, don't have an ST1 (or a JIM1) yet in the Vault!

Great memories!My first PHM was TTA 26,will keep it forever!I was already hooked by the little shorts at the end of the early hero books I was so crazy over,they led me backwards.

We didn't get our first PC in the house till 2008,right around thirty so social media's still pretty new to me,and I stayed away.Seeing the troubles my friends kids have-ugh.Stuck between not quite boomer,but sure not millenial here.

If it's any consolation,my JIM 1 and 2 are remainders,came in a big pile of what a dealer friend called junk I paid maybe ten bucks for.This was about ten years back.Lots of ruined,cut up stuff,but some great covers and those gems.He was happy and it was worth the price just sorting. :cloud9:

Going to a local con tomorrow where there is likely some PHMs to be found.

Anybody else looking for anything? No guarantees, but I'll keep my eyes open for these.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:06 AM, *Bronze age fan* said:

I need World of Fantasy #7 for the set now. That’s a hard comic to find a nice VG or better copy.  

On 7/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, Getoutandstayout said:

Would you happen to have a World Of Fantasy #16 4.0 or higher? Hard to find.

4 hours ago, bc said:

Going to a local con tomorrow where there is likely some PHMs to be found.

Anybody else looking for anything? No guarantees, but I'll keep my eyes open for these.

I was talking to Jack it and got me looking at my Strange Tales-seems I'm woefully short of #47.Also,still looking for a World of Suspense #6 :cloud9: Money IS a factor lol so if you happen across some good,good plus...I'm just a PM away.

I just saw your post of that FLAMING SCORCHER red Uncanny Tales-good grief man,well done!My eyes still have spots! (worship)