• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When Death Claims Me

2 posts in this topic

Or is it simply an Innovation

The first Novel that I read that had me forget about time was from Dr. Who (go figure). Although I had all the privacy I could muster in the confines of my own room, I went to the library to read and my father had to come get me. I didn't understand since I was only there for an hour, I mean seriously how paranoid could a parent get. As I tried to point out that I just had breakfast, my father told me it was time for dinner, and corrected me that I was there for eight hours not the sixty minutes I swore by.

Then there was Stephen King's The Stand. This immediately became my favorite book from the short list of books I conquered. I read the first one in paper back and then read the unabridged hardcover as soon as it came out. I thought there coukd be mo better novel. That was before On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony was recommended to me. Coincidently, soon after I finished this book, I found issue one on the comic book racks. Even at $4.95, the fully painted comic book had me part with my cash, which came out a few years before Marvels illustrated by Alex Ross.

Innovation was battling against Marvel and DC for their corner of the market, possibly trying to follow in the footsteps of Dark Horse by attempting to publish licensed work along the lines of Queen of the Damned, Quantum Leap, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and of course On A Pale Horse.

I remember purchasing a few, but they were never good enough for me to collect. It was, after all, not Marvel. On A Pale Horse was different, this was an attempt to see how someone else envisioned the world I wanted to learn more about. I patiently waited for the next issue, which was long in coming. The series was slated to be a six issue limited series followed by the second book, Bearing an Hourglass. Dark Horse was becoming stronger and the start of Image had the strength of multiple known talented artists place Innovation on the struggling end of paying rent, bills, and staff. Eventually the company folded in late 93' or early 94'.

At one point it took a full year between issues, which might not be long considering how long it took for Epic to publish the final issue of Akira, an issue that never happened for On A Pale Horse. I decided to get the five I had graded. A 9.8 of this series is not necessary, especially since I would have to find them and submit myself. I am happy with what I got and finally proud I can place them in a set. Thank you Gemma.

I hope that at the very least the next time you are in your LCS, or a comic con you might pick up a copy and leaf through what might have given the idea to Marvel to publish a fully painted comic book and charge almost five dollars, but if you need to get the whole story pick up the book, I don't think you'll regret it. To date, I have read this book eight or nine times.

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

14143.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

Very cool!

I too was and am a rabid SF and Fantasy reader. I have read a number of Anthony, Aspirin, Lackey, Martin, Jordan and many other novels.

That is a cool issue you have there! 9.6 is a GREAT grade on it!!

Congrats!