• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The World's Finest Copy of Incredible Hulk #180!!

17 posts in this topic

The first "true" appearance of Wolverine in top CGC grade is vaulted in the Professor's collection!

Although I actually acquired this one-of-a-kind specimen in July of 2012, I recently revamped my entire commentary in my CGC Competitive Set, and decided to document it along with all of my recent CGC journal acquisitions!

As usual, please enjoy the following commentary and the high-resolution front cover scan of this Bronze Age KEY! :-)

-Professor Pecora

[AND THE WIND HOWLED...WENDIGO!]

Incredible Hulk #180 showcases the very "1st" appearance of Wolverine, who is featured in a single panel cameo on the last page!

Aside from Incredible Hulk #181, in which Wolverine makes his 1st "full appearance," in my personal opinion, this book is the second most important KEY Issue of the Bronze Age! We are talking about the very first time "Wolverine" was brought into existence!

Moreover, not only is this copy the highest-graded example currently attainable, but it is arguably the finest copy in the world! By analyzing the front and back scans, it's hard to believe that it was not previously graded as a MINT CGC 9.9! Further, this pristine example originates from the Suscha News Pedigree Collection; out of Sheboygan, Wisconsin!

For a deeper insight, the following is an excerpt taken from the original owner's detailed explanation as to how he amassed his world-class collection, which can be read in its entirety at:

Metropolis Comics - Suscha News Pedigree Collection

"Although comic books were only 15 to 25 cents each at the time, buying more than a hundred a month represented a big chunk of my tiny, $3-per-hour paycheck. The books were mainly purchased at newsstands and drug stores. It was about this time that I got the idea to go directly to the local magazine and comic distributor, Suscha News (founded in November 1937), and propose a deal.

I explained to them how many comic books I bought on a regular basis, and how I'd buy a lot more if the prices were lower. To my surprise, they agreed to sell me newly arrived comics at half price off the pallets in their back room. This gave me access to the books as soon as they arrived in Sheboygan, so l was more likely to get certain low-distribution titles. I also got to "cherry-pick" books, and my comics from then on were free of shelf wear from browsers. I would carefully go through distributor boxes filled with the same issue of a book. I'd get it down to around a dozen or so mint copies of a given book to try to find the MOST mint copies in the group. I was looking for books with the best centering, the shiniest staples, the flattest covers and the sharpest top and bottom of the spine.

Now that the cost of buying comic books was cut in half, I also was able to buy multiple copies of each. Sometimes, I'd get a half-dozen or more copies of Number One or milestone issues, such as Thing vs. Hulk matchups.

My arrangement with the distributor lasted until 1976, when I decided to give up the comic book buying and boxing grind, and "lock" the collection. I bought very few comics after that -- a few hundred at most."

From this background information, I want to personally thank the original owner for the impeccable job he has done in hand-selecting some of the finest KEY issues in the world!

Another interesting fact to add to this wonderful acquisition is that out of all the known CGC-recognized pedigree collections to date; the Suscha News Pedigree is the only one that contains a copy of Incredible Hulk #180 in CGC 9.8! Further, there are actually two (2) CGC 9.8 Suscha News Pedigree copies of Incredible Hulk #180. However, according to the CGC certification numbers on the CGC labels, this copy was graded first, which happens to be the better-looking of the two as it displays razor-sharp edges, perfect centering, and extremely bold and vivid ink-color saturation! With that said, I challenge you to locate a more perfect-looking specimen of this historic issue! :-)

In closing, I am sending a BIG SHOUT-OUT to Darren of "Pristine Comics" for selling me this rare gem!

14156.jpg

See more journals by Professor Pecora

Ok, I bought copies of this issue off the racks and it really was hard to find decent mint books at a 7-11 (spinner rack) of this and any other comic during those times. So I made a deal with my local store owner to allow me to look through all of the books when they came I prior to placing them on the racks and I would purchase one of every book that came in and in some case multiples on books I really liked. I didn't get to pick them up for half price though :( All in all it helped me pick out the best of what was available at the time and this was long before I had heard of a comic book store.

That withstanding I still never found a copy as nice as the one you have. Also these issues had the dreaded Marvel Value Stamps that some kids love to clip and collect Arrrrgh!

Thank you for sharing!

Wow! Now you just need to get that thing signed by Herb Trimpe and retaining its Pedigree, and there will definitely be none better!

You read my mind bagofleas!

I had initial plans to have this bad-boy signed since the day I acquired it!

I even have the "perfect" location in mind, which when signed, will not take away from the aesthetic beauty of the cover art!

The signature is going to be meticulously placed right inside the dark brown area of the cliff in which the Hulk is crouching on! It will also be written in "silver" ink, so that it really pops against the dark brown color!

Although Herb Trimpe's signature would be great, I was actually thinking of having Len Wein sign it instead, as he is the original "creator" of Wolverine and the writer of the story!

Moreover, Len Wein has a really clean, small and fluid signature, that when directed with a custom signing template - will look phenomenal!! It is also more difficult to acquire a Len Wein signature compared to Herb's signature, as he does not attend many signing events!

I also think it would be pretty cool to acquire Len Wein's signature, just for the simple fact that he was the original creator of "W"olverine, and his last name begins with a "W" as well! Now that I think of it, I wonder if that was intentional on his end...? I guess that would be an interesting question to ask him in person one of these days!

-Professor Pecora

Ah Yes. Len Wein WOULD be a better signature of the two.

The placement and color sounds perfect as well! GOOD LUCK with that and when the day comes that you've had it done and get it back, PLEASE post the pic of it!

I have become an SS nut over the last year and have begun meticulously going through my issues and getting as many signed at a time as I can manage!

It is a thrill to get them back, especially when they are the ONLY SS copies out there!

Again, good luck Professor!

Ah Yes. Len Wein WOULD be a better signature of the two.

The placement and color sounds perfect as well! GOOD LUCK with that and when the day comes that you've had it done and get it back, PLEASE post the pic of it!

I have become an SS nut over the last year and have begun meticulously going through my issues and getting as many signed at a time as I can manage!

It is a thrill to get them back, especially when they are the ONLY SS copies out there!

Again, good luck Professor!

Thank You!!

No doubt! After I receive the final product in hand in the near future - the pic and commentary will be posted immediately!! (thumbs u

I am totally with you on the joyous feeling after receiving the SS books, especially when yours is the only SS copy in existence...OR, the 2nd SS copy in existence and knowing that your signature placement/color looks superior over the other SS version!

-Professor Pecora

Great books you have been sharing. As Bagofleas stated, I opened and submitted my 9.6 at NY Comics for Stan and Herb earlier this year. it retained its 9.6 and I am happy with that,

I have not, to this day, gotten a Wein Sig....I would so love to meet him someday

You could mail it to the NY Masters signing in October and let them crack it and have it signed for you, since Herb will be there as well. That way it would retain its pedigree as well.

Please DO NOT get it signed if it's a pedigree.

You could mail it to the NY Masters signing in October and let them crack it and have it signed for you, since Herb will be there as well. That way it would retain its pedigree as well.

His book, his call. 2c

His book, his call. 2c

I absolutely agree. Just giving my 2 cents as well.

Dear Professor,

First off, good luck with the move to Atlanta. I hope all goes well with your transition. I can only imagine how much work goes into relocating to a new city.

Secondly: gorgeous copy of Hulk 180. I can't say I ever beheld a finer example.

Thirdly: thank you so very much for sharing the Suscha News pedigree story. I own a few copies of Suscha News pedigrees and took notice that multiple copies of issues existed. At first I thought something fishy was going on, but after reading the history about the collection you so graciously provided, I am 1000 percent delighted and pleased I made those purchases.

Question, where can one view/reference the entire list of the Suscha News Pedigree books? I am curious to know how many copies exist for my favorite Bronze Age comics.

SW3D

Dear Professor,

First off, good luck with the move to Atlanta. I hope all goes well with your transition. I can only imagine how much work goes into relocating to a new city.

Secondly: gorgeous copy of Hulk 180. I can't say I ever beheld a finer example.

Thirdly: thank you so very much for sharing the Suscha News pedigree story. I own a few copies of Suscha News pedigrees and took notice that multiple copies of issues existed. At first I thought something fishy was going on, but after reading the history about the collection you so graciously provided, I am 1000 percent delighted and pleased I made those purchases.

Question, where can one view/reference the entire list of the Suscha News Pedigree books? I am curious to know how many copies exist for my favorite Bronze Age comics.

SW3D

Dear SW3D,

Thank you for the best-wishes! I appreciate it!!

I am not 100% sure as to where we can locate a complete list of "all" the issues that were considered worthy to be branded as a Suscha News Pedigree...? From what I have researched, there are still "more" issues from that amazing collection that have yet to be graded!

However, since Metropolis Collectibles (Vinnie) was the person who bought-out the original collection, I would suspect that he would be the prime source of contact in order to acquire this info! :-)

-Professor Pecora

I have one Suscha News book - Hulk 117 my favorite cover.

e7c9be18-b14b-4649-9573-c0d03c308e3a_zps1b0df257.jpg

What's up Johnny545!

You're Suscha News Pedigree of Hulk #117 is "all-the-way LIVE!!"

This is the first time I have seen this particular cover, and there is no doubt why I understand this is your personal favorite!

Thanks for sharing!

I wouldn't mind owning one of these in a CGC 9.8! :grin:

-Professor Pecora