• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the "key" horror and science fiction 1950s comics?

67 posts in this topic

Really? Wow did not know that
The covers are not exceptional, but they were the first two EC horror comics. Haunt of Fear #15 followed about a month later and is also considered a key. (PS - there are 2 Haunt of Fear #15's due to some funky numbering.)

i flat fell in love with one book from each of the subject genres over my years of board-watching, and had to get 'em. they are my favorite 50's horror and sci-fi books. i exclude here s/h books with a sci-fi bent.

wcraft5.jpg

sa50.jpg

Strange Adventures 50 = great cover!
and great interior! (thumbs u

That's pretty cool actually, I also heard Venus #19 is scarce

Unfortunately most of these are scarce thanks to well meaning parents who trashed and burned them. Some of the issues named I have not seen for sale in the last few years. You might consider acclimating yourself by picking up reprints or finding online reprints. You can enjoy them until you find original copies. I only focus on ECs which are a bit easier to locate in nicer mid-grades, but many titles you will be hard pressed to find certain issues in any grade. Unlike Silver age, you will need patience in this arena. Many folks buy what they find, then upgrade as opportunity presents itself. You can use the WTB section and scan the classifieds for books offered by other boardies.

That's pretty cool actually, I also heard Venus #19 is scarce

Unfortunately most of these are scarce thanks to well meaning parents who trashed and burned them. Some of the issues named I have not seen for sale in the last few years. You might consider acclimating yourself by picking up reprints or finding online reprints. You can enjoy them until you find original copies. I only focus on ECs which are a bit easier to locate in nicer mid-grades, but many titles you will be hard pressed to find certain issues in any grade. Unlike Silver age, you will need patience in this arena. Many folks buy what they find, then upgrade as opportunity presents itself. You can use the WTB section and scan the classifieds for books offered by other boardies.

....... Plus, most of your oppurtunities will occur at auction, where you will compete with a couple dozen others for the prize. Some of the more notable examples are very rarely available. I can't remember EVER seeing a Menace 1 in true high grade for sale. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. The advice about reprints is good..... you can determine, cheaply, if a specific book is really for you. If you don't like Everett for example, a Venus 19 may not be a good fit for you. These are the kind of books that you will have to pay absolute TOP dollar for and you may take a loss when selling should you get buyer's remorse.