• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

post your favorite romance covers
4 4

636 posts in this topic

Scan-130822-0008_zps3a12ef95.jpg

So many killer covers in this thread! I'll have to take a few pics of what I've got. I don't recall this one though! Very cool!

It's like the "romance" version of a Morisi crime cover.

There are a number of dealers who lump their teen humor books with their pure romance books, so this one works for me! (thumbs u

The Simon & Kirby books in 1947 that started the Great Transition from teen humor to romance. Some used to say that My Date 1 was the first romance comic. It wasn't.

Win a No-Prize if you can name the pedigree collection the My Date 3 came from.

MyDate1fc100_zps999ee4c1.jpg

MyDate02fc101_zps971783c0.jpg

MyDate03fc100_zpscb13a777.jpg

here's another couple of Love Journals, 11 & 16. The 16 is signed by John Buscema. A few years in the business and he's signing his work - not too shabby. Catch the title on that book - "IS PETTING DANGEROUS?" You can't make this sh*t up...

LoveJournal11fc100_zps368ba4ff.jpg

Looks like Harry Anderson again...

Want list expanding :frustrated:

Some used to make a case for this book as the first romance comic. But that hasn't held up either.

RomanticPictureNovelettesfc100_zps9f9e2cab.jpg

Tough book I believe.

Cant wait for the next hundred posts or so Andy! Keep 'em coming! :popcorn:

+1

Since we're discussing the first romance book

yr1_zpsadf6f868.jpg

Steve! (thumbs u

Indeed, Young Romance #1 is where it all began for this genre. This 8.5 is the second highest graded, behind two 9.4's (one of which is the Church copy) in private hands. Davis Crippen didn't get into this until issue #8, Crowley much later. There are Rockford early Young Romance copies - starting with #2. There's an Ohio #2. To the best of my knowledge, none of the other Golden Age pedigree/collections have copies of this title.

After all this time, the odds are the market has seen the existing #1's. It is a grail book for romance collectors.

yr1_zpsadf6f868.jpg

Steve! (thumbs u

Indeed, Young Romance #1 is where it all began for this genre. This 8.5 is the second highest graded, behind two 9.4's (one of which is the Church copy) in private hands. Davis Crippen didn't get into this until issue #8, Crowley much later. There are Rockford early Young Romance copies - starting with #2. There's an Ohio #2. To the best of my knowledge, none of the other Golden Age pedigree/collections have copies of this title.

After all this time, the odds are the market has seen the existing #1's. It is a grail book for romance collectors.

I appreciate the role of Young Romance in beginning the romance genre and I'm a big fan of S&K. But looking through the covers of the first 10 issues or so, they are uniformly pretty weak. No. 1 is probably the best of the lot and compare it to:

truelove11_zps9c5aed0d.jpg

Was the work on Young Romance actually by S&K or by lesser hands in their studio? hm

yr1_zpsadf6f868.jpg

Steve! (thumbs u

I appreciate the role of Young Romance in beginning the romance genre and I'm a big fan of S&K. But looking through the covers of the first 10 issues or so, they are uniformly pretty weak. No. 1 is probably the best of the lot and compare it to:

truelove11_zps9c5aed0d.jpg

Was the work on Young Romance actually by S&K or by lesser hands in their studio? hm

The theme of artists and models is prevelant in comics, movies and literature.

Of course Baker hit it out of the park with this one.

Great copy BTW.