• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

624 posts in this topic

The problem with Ben Affleck isn't so much his acting, nor his bad choices in bad movies. It's more of an instant recoginizable face, smirk and mannerisms. ". When someone has reached A list status, it's more and more difficult for the audience to ignore "Oh, this is Julia Roberts acting like a serial killer"....or this is "Morgan Freeman prentending to be the elder, graceful statesman."....It's impossible for the actor to disappear into the role....

This is spot on, and the reason I can't watch the original X-Men movies.

I'll reserve judgement on Affleck as Batman until the movie is actually made and in theaters, but can't say he would have been my first choice...or second...or one hundred and fourteenth.

The problem with Ben Affleck isn't so much his acting, nor his bad choices in bad movies. It's more of an instant recoginizable face, smirk and mannerisms. ". When someone has reached A list status, it's more and more difficult for the audience to ignore "Oh, this is Julia Roberts acting like a serial killer"....or this is "Morgan Freeman prentending to be the elder, graceful statesman."....It's impossible for the actor to disappear into the role....

That being said, I am :facepalm: over the choice as most people. But, you better believe I will be there opening night when the movie opens no matter what happens. :banana:

THIS!! :golfclap:

That's what I was saying earlier. Instead of always finding a big name actor, why not find a relative unknown to fill the role? (shrug) Seems to make the whole suspension of disbelief a little easier rather than focusing on how Ben Affleck or George Clooney or A List Actor is doing as Batman.

Then again, sometimes there are definitely exceptions - Heath Ledger and Robert Downey Jr. So I may be just :blahblah:

My first reaction was :sick: but I think that is a matter of hating change more than anything. DD was just a pretty terrible movie and Kingpin, Elektra, Bullseye, Foggy, Ben Urich I think were all much worse casting choices than Affleck. You can only work with what you're given. (shrug) Good -script, good directing, etc - he can succeed. Let's all just hope to be pleasantly surprised like Ledger! :cloud9:

@HarveySwick A very good post! (thumbs u

Now to all the naysayers.

Batman vs. Superman will be better then this

movies_best_worst_superhero_costumes_gallery_7.jpg

People are forgetting that Nolan will produce,Zack Snyder will direct,and David S. Goyer will write Batman vs. Superman.

If Batman could survive this

batman-nipples.jpg

then expect Batman to do better with Oscar winner Ben Affleck in the role.

People are forgetting that Nolan will produce,Zack Snyder will direct,and David S. Goyer will write Batman vs. Superman.

batman-nipples.jpg

:acclaim:

And we just have to hope that DC/Producers/Directors have all learned from that atrocity - Batman & Robin - that no matter how many McDonald's plastic cups you can sell and over commercialization of the product, it can still be such a piece of junk when you try to make it too "family friendly" and over the top tongue in cheek. I would hope that they learned this with the success of Nolan's Trilogy, but :wishluck:

Affleck will be fine. If not, that just means a reboot and it won't be the end of the world. I think we needed Batman & Robin to happen to result in the Nolan trilogy. So let's hope Affleck :headbang: as Batman and if he doesn't "NEXT!"

I just hope Ben can prove me wrong. Daredevil stinked but I blame the writing on that.

And we really have to keep Affleck's role in Daredevil in perspective. The movie was atrocious so he could have done the best acting job in the world and it might have been missed. And at the time, I kind of dug the DD movie. I admit it. I saw it three times in the theater because I was so excited about a Daredevil movie! lol

But a point to remember - that movie was created by Fox right? Were the people in charge of it even comic fans or just Hollywood producers trying to make a quick buck and filling roles with big time actors to capitalize on the names to draw crowds rather than actually staying true to the comic. Batman is much more of a mainstream super hero than Daredevil so you'd think they "had to" do that with the casting of DD. They struck big time gold with Nolan's Batman. Unless they really thought Affleck could fill the role, I don't think they'd focus on his celebrity rather than him doing a great job.

Let's all have faith and :banana: to see how he does. :gossip: If you go back to my original posts, you can seem my initial reaction.

batman-nipples.jpg

You are of course right about this, but Batman and Robin was the bat dung at the bottom of the Bat Cave. The next movie could not be worse if they tried. My worry is that it will not be much better and they should aim much, much higher.

Affleck won his Oscars for writing and directing, something I will admit he is quite good at. He's a serviceable actor, but it's kind of like saying "he runs well for a catcher" to use a baseball analogy.

Ysd50zb_zps6911b4c9.jpg

We should really count our blessings. We got off light.

That's almost bad enough for me to wish that movie had actually been made! :roflmao:

What the hell is that abortion of common sense!!!!