• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mcfarlane's ASM Run

89 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed the resurgence of this run? I remember shortly after Spider-man 3, ASM 300 9.8 was hitting a low between $500-600. Now it's in the $800. Even a 316 9.8 (favorite cover btw) recently went for $230 when it was a $90-130 book. Additionally, 301 in 9.8 is pretty rare, but $600 rare? I remember being hesitant to buy one for $185 a couple years back.

Is it just a popular character plus Mcfarlane's loyal fan base? Or am I missing something?

Yeah I've been trying to put together a 9.8 run of it and it keeps going up. A lot of the books that were $60 a year or two ago are up in the $80 - $100 range. I wonder if some of the popularity was the sale of some of the OA Covers. You see a cover break some records it brings the spotlight on the whole run?

I think some of the lapsed collectors who left the hobby in the 90s, and have now returned, are choosing this run as one of the first things they re-acquire, and driving up the demand.

Spot on. First thing I did when I came back a couple of years ago was pick up the McSpidey run.

IMO it is the quintessential run of the copper age. With the copper age gaining some spotlight/rule of 25 you are seeing increased demand for the books.

Oh god, I hope not. No offense to your personal taste, but that's about the last thing I would show someone as representational of that era.

IMO it is the quintessential run of the copper age. With the copper age gaining some spotlight/rule of 25 you are seeing increased demand for the books.

Oh god, I hope not. No offense to your personal taste, but that's about the last thing I would show someone as representational of that era.

True enough. The Leifeld New Mutants run is a much better example of the best of the Copper Age. :devil:

True enough. The Leifeld New Mutants run is a much better example of the best of the Copper Age. :devil:

It's about the same IMHO...though to be fair I would say McFarlane is probably a better artist than Liefeld.

Late copper, it probably is the quintessential run. 2c

Prior to that, though, there were numerous key copper runs and issues that are equally essential.

I loved the McFarlane stuff, and I think the majority of collectors at the time did as well.

There's an odd grain of truth here, if you use the phrase 'representational of that era'.

Marvel's house style from about 1991-1995 was very Liefeld influenced. Pouches, big guns, compound character names, jagged line detailing were commonplace.

It's about the same IMHO...though to be fair I would say McFarlane is probably a better artist than Liefeld.

I was being sarcastic. I could not stand the Leifeld stuff, but I am happy to buy NM #87 and #98 cheap and flip them for decent $$$.

If you are looking at quintessential copper runs, it depends on the genre and publisher. Most important Copper Age book/run overall is likely TMNT. For DC, would it be Watchmen, Batman TDKR, Batman Year One, Death of Superman, Batman Death in the Family, Sandman or something else (e.g. Moore Swamp Thing)? From the Marvel perspective, I prefer the X-Men Claremont/Silvestri run from #200 until they started to lose it around #240 or so to either McSpidey or Leifeld's NM run, but there are other potential candidates as well (Kraven's Last hunt story arc?).

Most important Copper Age book/run overall is likely TMNT.

Pencil me in for the DKR/Watchmen duo. They influenced the whole tone of storytelling in the hobby going forward. 2c

Unfortunately.

I was being sarcastic. I could not stand the Leifeld stuff, but I am happy to buy NM #87 and #98 cheap and flip them for decent $$$.

If you are looking at quintessential copper runs, it depends on the genre and publisher. Most important Copper Age book/run overall is likely TMNT. For DC, would it be Watchmen, Batman TDKR, Batman Year One, Death of Superman, Batman Death in the Family, Sandman or something else (e.g. Moore Swamp Thing)? From the Marvel perspective, I prefer the X-Men Claremont/Silvestri run from #200 until they started to lose it around #240 or so to either McSpidey or Leifeld's NM run, but there are other potential candidates as well (Kraven's Last hunt story arc?).

What about Byrne's FF, Claremont & Smith's X-MEN, Wolfman & Perez's New Teen Titans. Miller's Daredevil or Simonson's Thor? Those are the books that I would show people as the creme de la creme of the copper era.