• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Books/Comic Culture Documentaries...

20 posts in this topic

I'm on a bit of a doco binge at the moment.... last month I posted about the Artscape episodes that were available on the Aussie ABC iView service.

Since then I've watched

- With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story;

- Batman Begins: Behind the Mask; and

- Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope

Does anyone have any others to recommend? :wishluck:

Comic Book Confidential is my favorite one so far. I've also seen Crumb, American Splendor (a movie, but a weird docudrama that is half movie and half actual interviews it seems, or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with a Pekar documentary I've seen? It's been a while), Confessions Of Robert Crumb, and Frank Frazetta: Painting With Fire. Crumb was actually also pretty good, and if you don't know much about him it's kind of shocking how personal the documentary is, it's about so much more than comics.

And then there is Alan Moore on Stan Lee creating all the Marvel characters.

lol

One egomaniacal blowhard criticizing another. Can anyone find where Stan Lee claims to have co-created Captain America in "Origins of Marvel Comics"? I'm not putting it past him, mind you, but given that Moore was unaware that Lee was already working at Timely when Simon & Kirby were hired, and 18, not 12 when the first issue came out, I'm not trusting Moore's recollection of what Stan has actually said.

A bit skewed, but there is "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters and Marvels" with Kevin Smith. It strongly favors the Stan Lee view of Marvel History.

There is also "Marvel: Then and Now A Night With Stan Lee and Joe Quesada Hosted by Kevin Smith" which is more entertaining than enlightening.

Another good one, albeit a bit basic for most boardies is "Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked" that was aired on the History Channel.

A fun look at SDCC is the mockumentary "Comic Book The Movie"

I enjoyed "WIll Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist" too.

If you're willing to broaden your horizons a bit, I also recommend "The Sci Fi Boys" which is about various sci fi writers and movie makers.

And then there is Alan Moore on Stan Lee creating all the Marvel characters.

lol

One egomaniacal blowhard criticizing another. Can anyone find where Stan Lee claims to have co-created Captain America in "Origins of Marvel Comics"? I'm not putting it past him, mind you, but given that Moore was unaware that Lee was already working at Timely when Simon & Kirby were hired, and 18, not 12 when the first issue came out, I'm not trusting Moore's recollection of what Stan has actually said.

I'd like to see where Stan has "not" given credit to the people he worked with.

On 9/15/2013 at 0:18 PM, MedicAR said:

A bit skewed, but there is "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monsters and Marvels" with Kevin Smith. It strongly favors the Stan Lee view of Marvel History.

There is also "Marvel: Then and Now A Night With Stan Lee and Joe Quesada Hosted by Kevin Smith" which is more entertaining than enlightening.

Another good one, albeit a bit basic for most boardies is "Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked" that was aired on the History Channel.

A fun look at SDCC is the mockumentary "Comic Book The Movie"

I enjoyed "WIll Eisner: Portrait of a Sequential Artist" too.

If you're willing to broaden your horizons a bit, I also recommend "The Sci Fi Boys" which is about various sci fi writers and movie makers.

I just watched it this morning "Comic Book Superheroes Unmasked" It was great!  :headbang:

I believe there is another Comic Book documentary later this evening too