• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you guys seen the Phillippine variants?
5 5

419 posts in this topic

Been reading the bronze/copper/modern comics that are heating up threads for almost a year now and hardly explored the other threads. So when I googled about the possible value of the Philippine reprint of the comic below, I stumbled upon this thread. I didn't know that National also produced their own version of this.

Star Wars 1 Philippine/Alemar's edition. Wonder which is rarer: this or the National Bookstore version.

2iurwwz.jpg

2eeybtz.jpg

29yh6s7.jpg

1zck60p.jpg

f37rza.jpg

Been reading the bronze/copper/modern comics that are heating up threads for almost a year now and hardly explored the other threads. So when I googled about the possible value of the Philippine reprint of the comic below, I stumbled upon this thread. I didn't know that National also produced their own version of this.

Star Wars 1 Philippine/Alemar's edition. Wonder which is rarer: this or the National Bookstore version.

2iurwwz.jpg

2eeybtz.jpg

29yh6s7.jpg

1zck60p.jpg

f37rza.jpg

Wow! Just wow! (worship)

2iurwwz.jpg

2eeybtz.jpg

29yh6s7.jpg

1zck60p.jpg

f37rza.jpg

Wow! Just wow! (worship)

I concur with RJRJR! WOW!!!!!!! (worship)(worship)

Personally I believe the Alamar is rarer.... smaller store fronts, fewer bookstores than NB... and some peoples belief the Alamar stuff might have been unlicensed.... (shrug)

Stunning book, thanks soooo much for sharing and also welcome to the boards! (thumbs u

Wasn't there a Star Wars #1 from the Phillipines? If I recall the cover looked almost identical to the US version, but the box that reads "Enter: Luke Skywalker! Will He Save the Galaxy-- Or Destroy It?" was a different color. (I'm thinking yellow, but it has been a few years since I've seen the picture of this comic.) I thought at the time there was mention of these issues being printed for the US servicemen.

there is. i still have to check our garage for it.

though i quite remember i wrote on the pages when i was a kid :screwy:

now i have seen this thread i'm getting excited :banana:

Are you in the Philippines or the states? hm

I'm from the Philippines. How do I make the location appear?

I understand you collect foreign reprints with a special fondness for Philippine reprints. Are you by any chance a Filipino?

More info about the bookstores:

Alemar's had closed shop about 10 or more years ago. The reprints I bought from them were only Archies at 1.75 pesos, just like National's price. Though they were stamped as P1.75, I actually bought National reprints at 1 peso each. I don't think Alemar's followed suit price-wise but kept buying their Archies anyway (you could see which publisher I actually I preferred then.)

Goodwill now goes by the name of Bridges. There's one in Glorietta, Makati. I don't know if they still have other branches because the ones that I used to go to have closed.

In any case, these reprints are almost impossible to find these days. Your best bet are fellow collectors, if they bothered to keep their copies --because I never did. :( I think I left them behind when we moved. Probably thinking they being reprints on low quality paper, they were worthless. I did buy continuous runs of Avengers (#140+) and Daredevil (#130+) of about 7 issues each. But I did keep X-Men 96-99 ( I'm sure I have a double of 99) because it was the title I continued to collect when I eventually bought the originals of the latter issues. Note that I didn't get X-Men from National itself but from fellow collectors much later so I failed to get #100-101.

So among the keys that National reprinted are Daredevil 131 (first Bullseye) and X-Men 101 (first Phoenix). The ones I bought before were from 1975-76 but I did just receive a Phantom Stranger 18 (1972). I don't they printed Hulk 180/181 (1974). They also stopped reprinting by 1977 so there's no Iron Fist 14. Alemar's is another story because prior to getting SW 1 recently, I don't recall them producing superhero comics. There must have been so few on display that I've failed to notice them altogether.

I'll picture the X-Men, plus the Batman movie adaptation (1989; cardboard cover with slick paper for 20 pesos, I think; Garcia-Lopez's inks made the unknown penciller standout. I'm not that familiar with Steve Erwin. But I digress...)---if I can find them. I found a Kid Colt 202 here. Covers and first page are detached. Front cover has another large piece of paper stuck to it. Not a pretty sight. PS's chewed out front cover and lack of a back cover is bad enough. Also a B&W Richie Rich. Anyone wants to see them? Here are 2 in the meantime.

Btw, I think I can still get Amazing Spiderman 300 (Atlas reprint) but think it was covered in bookcover plastic yet already worn out. Plus low quality newsprint and in B/W so I passed it on even though I haven't seen it in a decade or so. But I saw it the first and last time was July. :( Buy or pass? I remember Solarcadet saying in another thread that there's such one in CGC's census. But when I clicked the link it said thast I needed to be a (paying?) member or something to see it.

Batman 252-NB

t7cos3.jpg

fy349x.jpg

2guljxx.jpg

Phantom Stranger 40-NB

2198h9g.jpg

29f2g0g.jpg

Hi archer, welcome to the boards! (thumbs u

Your informations are very interesting, but I am wondering why they are so hard to get even in the Philippines? Did they have small print runs, or maybe most people just did not pick them back then, and most got trashed?

Define is not filipino, but he collects mostly foreign editions, and Star Wars #1 is one of his favorite books, so I guess he would love to have your copy. :)

Holy smokes sir! Your voice is needed in this thread for sure! No not FIlipino..... just a crazy American who is very very sick with the foreign bug... lol

Vaillant this quote right here is my belief why these books are so darn hard to find even in the Philippines themselves....

--because I never did. \:\( I think I left them behind when we moved. Probably thinking they being reprints on low quality paper, they were worthless.

This seems to be a prevailing theme amongst many collectors over there.... it just seems like their was an attitude that the bookstore books were barely worth the cheap paper they were printed on... And lets be clear... I am not judging you or any foreign collector.... I can understand this Archer... many countries all over the world had this same exact attitude about their own countries indigenous output. It is something you see over and over again. Its one of the reasons foreign collecting is so difficult. But who backs down from a challenge.... certainly not I! And with new awareness and spotlights being directed at foreign books I think the time is ripe for a newfound appreciation for books just like these. My friends and I are doing our part for sure! FCC magazine was created by us just for this purpose.....

Eventually a Filipino article needs to be written for the FCC magazine. Please check it out.... I might have found my Filipino author? hm

http://foreigncomiccollector.webs.com/

I would love to own this book sir! I sent you a PM. Let me know what you are thinking price wise if you haven't already gotten your PM blown up by other interested parties..... remember though.... your book might like to live with one of the larger SW1 foreign set collections around..... lol

StarWars_foreign_issue1.jpg

I just purchased about 12 long boxes of comics and going through them. I found a Worlds Finest 207 from Goodwill Trading, Inc. I'm just to adding it to your list if you were still looking to make one.

Yes please list the issue numbers and scans if you can... (thumbs u

Your voice is needed in this thread for sure!

And so I just had to backread again (15 pages, no biggie). I just had to give my insight because I was a first-hand collector.

Just the other day I contacted National Bookstore customer service to see if they could put me in contact with their records dept. or anyone that could possibly shed light on their publishing and licensing in the seventies? Run around and blew me off... im pushing harder but geeze.... :pullhair:

You went that far! Too funny! Most of the employees might not have been born yet when these came out! They might have some data somewhere...they certainly won't go as far as to dig them up for you, assuming they even know where the pertinent records are. Even if they were only recently printed, I don't think they would know either.

The Philippines is like an archipelago full of white buffalos.... If I had the money, I would travel to the islands for a vacation whose sole purpose was finding these rare books!

I probably can accomodate you for a night or two on the couch. Then you're on your own. How do you propose to find these? Knock on every door you see? Haven't tried this!

many of these books could be sitting in longboxes anywhere in the world being passed over because they look so similar to their American counterparts in many ways. hm

Always wondered how some ended up in the States. Local collectors migrating there, and taking a few of these babies with them. Then LCS's buying up their collections when they quit.

How many ultra rare Filipino books are sitting in longbox's here in the states with owners that don't relize what they have?

Highly doubtful. When the price variants became widely-known, most of these must've been sifted thru. If subtler price differences are sought, blank prices and blank UPCs are just too obvious to ignore.

Yea, its (Joker 5) a great copy! (thumbs u And its existence means a #1 could exist as well which also be very cool! hm

I had #8 before, and #1, I think. I believe I got the #1 from a real newsstand! I know I got 2 issues of that title and distinctly remember the scarecrow cover. They're gone now so I can't prove to you their existence. Add these to the (unverifiable) checklist.

Has more than one copy of any of these issues been found? For example, is there more than one Star Wars 1 known to exist?
There are maybe four or five books at the most that we've seen more than a single copy. They are proving to be rare beyond belief. Just based on the climate conditions and lack of storage supplies I'm willing to bet there are quite a few that were printed of which not a single copy remains in existence.

I certainly hope not!

The PS 40 above is my 2nd copy. I think I've lost my original copy but I think it's here somewhere so that when my source presented the new copy to me, I correctly said that it had Black orchid in it by Filipino artist Rico Rival. I won't remember that far back if I lost my original copy along with the rest of my original collection. I must have seen it more recently to remember that much about the issue.

GL/GA 89 I think I still have, betting it's GWB (LSC has it among his collection). It was a part of trade maybe 15 years ago. (Hello, Simon Tan!) I think it had thread instead of staples holding the book together, crazy as it sounds. Or maybe both. I think it was square-bound with the cover detached.

I did say I have 2 copies of X-Men 99...somewhere.

Another interesting element is on the indicia... unlike Goodwill and National Bookstore, it appears Alemar did not print any additional info in the indicia? No reprint, or licensing info.... nothing? Could these have been counterfeits of some sort? un-licensed? ummmm interesting.... Could their be a NB version of these books? Could the printer have been doing unlicensed books on the side for another bookstore?

Being the #1 bookstore at the time, I don't think they'd risk their reputation by doing bootlegs. But look where this apparent integrity led them.

Edited by archer

Probably thinking they being reprints on low quality paper, they were worthless.

many countries all over the world had this same exact attitude about their own countries indigenous output

The prevailing attitude was (and still is?): Imported is superior. Whereas local is inferior.

I bought the original Daredevil 131 with an extra staple I think. I also had the NB reprint bought earlier. Guess which I took with me when we moved? ;) The mentality rubbed off on me!

I might have found my Filipino author?

http://foreigncomiccollector.webs.com

Quite honored but my English is a bit crude. Besides, I'm no authority on the subject. I think my current collection is 15 or less. Your collection is already impressive. But I have a used book/mag dealer/friend who got me the 2 Phantom Strangers, Batman 252 and Richie Rich Funtime Comics (nn) so my collection might grow again.

So do I get paid...with peanuts? Or just earn the distinction of being a non-professional author?

I did sign up. I'm the 9th member. What a large club :( There are more posters in this thread than those who eventually signed up there.

your book might like to live with one of the larger SW1 foreign set collections around

It definitely would look good with more international cousins surrounding it. You mean there is a larger set?! :o

More important, since no one spoke about it, I’d love to hear from our Philippine colleagues if they have had, or have, some relative in the typhoon-ravaged parts of the state.

Haiyan hit the central part of the country (Visayas), I'm in the northern part (Luzon). Don't know anyone in particular in that part of the country. I have a co-worker whose grandmother's house's roof was blown off by the typhoon back in Iloilo. Someone did ask in the bronze heating up thread (being my first post) if I was safe.

Might sound insensitive but...has the local printings' population just been reduced by a third?

Might sound insensitive but...has the local printings' population just been reduced by a third?

May be, but juding from what we have seen of the affected areas, many people do not even have an house anymore, so they wouldn’t be concerned about any possession which is not essential to survival – I don’t know the mileage of the Philippines, but I wouldn’t feel much calm if it was so close to Italy…

In fact I have had my blood pressure altered because of the earthquake last year, and it never settled back to its normal value, so I can’t even imagine how those poor people are feeling now. :(

Here are more information regarding the bookstores and their respective editions. I'll be quoting some excerpts from the pm between Define and me.

Re: Alemar's Bookstore

they are the minority here since they only have very few stores in the country. Alemars also closed shop years ago. Of the three reprints, I consider Alemar's the rarest.

On the other hand (ad from SW1 back page)

21986yd.jpg

This means at some earlier point, National had less than 12 branches and was thus less popular.

this whole time we thought Alemars were rarer and from what you are saying there were more Alemar bookstores than NB.

Just because Alemar's had more customers/stores doesn't mean they've invested a lot on the reprints.

unlike Goodwill and National Bookstore, it appears Alemar did not print any additional info in the indicia? No reprint, or licensing info.... nothing? Could these have been counterfeits of some sort? un-licensed? ummmm interesting.... Could their be a NB version of these books? Could the printer have been doing unlicensed books on the side for another bookstore?

You could be right about the printer printing unlicensed extras for Alemar's. That would explain why their products seem identical. But then NB could sue for unfair competition. They are paying for license after all.

Bootlegs or not, Alemar's was a big and established name adding to their product's desirability (i.e. to a previous generation of collectors :grin:). And due to their apparent greater scarcity than nb's, they should be more valuable should 2 versions exist. Imagine: national could resume printing these while alemars obviously can't. I'm not saying this to jack up my sw 1's value.

Now on the insides of the Alemar books I have their are no ads for anything but this funstuff inc/famous etc. company?

alemarinsideshogunfunstuffa.jpg

alemarinsideshogunfunstuff4.jpg

As I remember, Funstuff is a licensing agency. If I'm correct, this only proves that Alemar's reprints are indeed legit. The lack of indication of printing permit could be a simple omission as they deemed it unnecessary. Like maybe Alemar's didn't want the printer to advertise itself. :shrug:

Re: National Bookstore

I don't really remember how long I've been going to National by myself when I finally noticed the locally-printed US comics but back in 1980 or 1981 I found in Alemar's and National bookstores that printed their own versions.

Alemar's Book Store reprinted Archies which cost 1.75 pesos while their less distinguished rival National Book Store reprinted super heroes by Marvel and DC mostly from 1975-76. I don't know how long they were on the shelves but the original stamped price was 1.75 pesos yet they sold them for 1 peso only. So maybe they've been on the shelves for a while to justify the mark down. Or maybe they were new but National decided to sell them at a lower price.

Re: Goodwill Bookstore

rawhidekidfront.jpg

I've noticed a pattern: they're all from 1972! NB also covered that year (or that period). I've also noticed that during those years NB's back cover ad has a building while the 1975-76 (or so) had the boring text-only list of their "children's classics." An exception could be Batman 252 above, from 1972 but with the recent back cover ad. So it moct probably belonged to the latter batch.

I did say in the SW1 thread that I never saw any comic at the Goodwill branches I frequented so it is their editions I know least about. So GW probably sold out their stocks by ther time I collected their rivals' reprints but didn't find them profitable so didn't continue the venture. But for National it was a success so they continued it with Alemar's filling the vacuum with GW's withdrawal.

I did find GW reprints much later but not from their own stores. I continued to avoid them because of the usual local reprint stigma.

What do you think? This could greatly narrow down the list of which titles and issues all those bookstores printed. Or am I jumping to conclusions?

Edited by archer

Here're a couple more frpm National Bookstore, from DC this time. Including the somewhat better copy of the PS 40.

How come no one's putting more scans here? No one else is posting either. *sigh*

Green Lantern/Green Arrow 89

kb29p5.jpg

xqao2r.jpg

2nggcwi.jpg

House of Mystery 107

2mnocrc.jpg

nxt0l2.jpg

2zisbye.jpg

Justice Inc. 1

idsjuc.jpg

ztdnc4.jpg

30holzc.jpg

Phantom Stranger 40

qqsjg0.jpg

k42ee.jpg

Early in this thread, I listed my copies so people would know

what exists. (I do not have picture equipment.) I have found a few

more so I will list my holdings here including grades.

National Book Store (full size)

Action 441 VG/F

Detective 422 G+ (cover red is printed about 1/8 inch low)

GI Combat 158 G

Korak 48 VF

Tarzan 228 F

Unexpected 174 G+

South-East Asia Edition (full size)

Batman 32 coverless and extra staples - poor

Detective 28 No back cover & extra staples - poor

Superman 20 coverless

Manila Chronicle (small size)

Adventure 22 Cover loose and split at spine - poor/fair

Detective 293 poor/fair

These are not part of what I collect so if you are interested in some