• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore 2005

43 posts in this topic

Planning to attend the Baltimore Comic-Con to see such recently announced guests legendary Amazing Spider-Man artist John Romita, Sr., longtime Batman editor and writer Denny O'Neil, or Grendel creator Matt Wagner this September 17-18 at the Baltimore Convention Center? It just got easier.

Tickets are now available online through Ticketmaster.

Last week the show announced that the recently announced Teen Titans fill-in artist and Cable creator Rob Liefeld would be attending the show and that the first 2,000 fans through the door will get a free copy of his first Teen Titans issue.

DC Comics, Image Comics and Gemstone Publishing head of the list of publishers thus far announced, with more pending.

ACTOR (A Commitment To Our Roots), the charity created to assist comic creators in need, is sponsoring the appearances of Romita, Sr. and Silver Age legend Ayers, who is currently releasing his autobiography in comic book form from Mecca Comics.

Among the previously announced guests are writer Geoff Johns (Green Lantern, Infinite Crisis), Image Comics publisher and Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen, and Terry Moore, creator of Strangers in Paradise.

Blade creator and Marv Wolfman, who is celebrating the 25th anniversary of New Teen Titans #1 and the 20th anniversary of Crisis on Infinite Earths, will be on hand, as will current Donna Troy writer Phil Jimenez.

The Luna Brothers (Ultra, Girls), Frank Cho (Liberty Meadows, Zombie King), Robert Kirkman (Invincible), Robert Tinnell (The Black Forest), Neil Vokes (The Wicked West), Bo Hampton (The Legend of Sleepy Hollow), Scott Kurtz (PvP), and Joe Linsner (Dawn), will be among the Image Comics creators present.

Mark Waid (Legion of Super-Heroes), Adam Hughes (Wonder Woman), Amanda Conner (JSA Classified), Jimmy Palmiotti (Jonah Hex, Hawkman), Howard Chaykin (City of Tomorrow), J.G. Jones (Wonder Woman), Howard Porter (Flash), and Phil Noto (Danger Girl) are among the DC creators scheduled to appear.

Editor Tom Brevoort (Avengers), artist Michael Avon Oeming (Powers), Brandon Peterson (Strange) and cover artist Greg Horn (Emma Frost) are among the Marvel contributors lined-up in addition to Romita, Sr. and Ayers.

Gemstone Publishing is sponsoring Don Rosa, writer-artist of the recently released collection The Life & Times of Scrooge McDuck, and John K. Sndyer III (Green Lantern: Brightest Day/Darkest Night), who has illustrated numerous covers for The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, will also be on hand.

Other creators set to attend include artist Michael William Kaluta (The Shadow), Mike Wieringo (Fantastic Four), Billy Tucci (Shi), Jimmy Gownley (Amelia Rules!), Andy Runton (Owly), Mike Manley (Draw!), Pop Mhan (Spy Boy), Mark Wheatley (Frankenstein Mobster), Marc Hempel (MAD), Karl Story (Fantastic Four), Cully Hamner (Batman), Brian Stelfreeze (Domino), Steve Conley (Astounding Space Thrills), Todd Dezago (Tellos), John Gallagher (Buzzboy), Rich Faber (Roboy Red), Ron Garney (Captain America), Ron Marz (Samurai: Heaven & Earth), Dean Haspiel (Opposable Thumbs), Alex Saviuk (The Spirit, Feast of the Seven Fishes), Jim Califiore (Exiles), and others.

Diamond Comic Distributors will be holding one their retailer summits for its clients the day after the show.

For more information about the Baltimore Comic-Con, visit their web page, email cardscomicscollectibles@yahoo.com, or call (410) 526-7410.

some great guests there... absolutely great!!!!! One thing that I may actually do at this show that I have not previously done is go around and get sketches... the thing that I think is so great about Baltimore is that the guests just seem so damn accessible compared to other shows. Maybe this isn't true in reality... but sure feels that way to me there. Really looking forward to meeting Phil Jimenez as well... !

From Heidi MacDonald (Posted by THE BEAT at August 9, 2005 10:16 AM)

"I think the biggest winner coming out of Chicago was Marc Nathan. Everyone I talked to was looking forward to the Baltimore Comic-con. A manageable guest list, an organizer who makes things feel intimate, and the proximity of both water and fine dining make it a pleasant, relaxing experience, not the death march to Bataan. I know I can't wait. "

thumbsup2.gif

Hey donut I am trying to go to the show but hotels are expensive. I could use some help finding a hotle or motel close by that is between 50 and 100 dollars a night nothing nice maybe a 1 or 2 star hotel.

I just checked travelocity today and saw that the lowest price for the dates of 9/16-9/18 for a hotel in the Inner harbor/downtown Balto area near the con is $136 at the Wyndham. When my family and I stay in Balto, we like the MArriott @ Camden Yards on Eutaw @ $189/night - maybe you can combo with the airline ticket and get a better deal? There are some places by BWI airport (days inn baltimore, Holiday inn express bwi airport west, best western bwi, holiday inn bwi) for $70- $100 a night but you'd have to get a cab to and from the con?

...I can't handle the airport Hotels anymore,.....taking a cab back and forth to the city drives me up a wall,.... and I'm not going to drive back in forth in case I get slightly inebriated,...which to be honest only takes 2 drinks,...I booked Friday and Saturday at the Marriott Inner Harbour,....I want to see a bit more nightlife this year,....

Hey donut I am trying to go to the show but hotels are expensive. I could use some help finding a hotle or motel close by that is between 50 and 100 dollars a night nothing nice maybe a 1 or 2 star hotel.

I just checked travelocity today and saw that the lowest price for the dates of 9/16-9/18 for a hotel in the Inner harbor/downtown Balto area near the con is $136 at the Wyndham. When my family and I stay in Balto, we like the MArriott @ Camden Yards on Eutaw @ $189/night - maybe you can combo with the airline ticket and get a better deal? There are some places by BWI airport (days inn baltimore, Holiday inn express bwi airport west, best western bwi, holiday inn bwi) for $70- $100 a night but you'd have to get a cab to and from the con?

Who else has any hotel recommendations by the harbor. I'm just getting my act together to make plans and would love to know what others have chosen for downtown.

Who else has any hotel recommendations by the harbor. I'm just getting my act together to make plans and would love to know what others have chosen for downtown.

As others have said, there are a few Marriott's in that area (I can think of 2 that are basicall right on the water and there may be a 3rd). Best thing to do is try to find a friend/acquaintence that works for them. They can usually hook you up with a "Friends/Family" rate which is much cheaper than what Marriott normally charges. I've gotten rooms for no more than $89/night, and as low as $49/night at full-service Marriotts and $39/night for Courtyards.

Only problem with that is the hotel has to be open (ie, not really busy/booked). I think there's a Yankees game that weekend, so that would probably mess that up.

Also, you didn't hear this from me. gossip.gif

Only problem with that is the hotel has to be open (ie, not really busy/booked). I think there's a Yankees game that weekend, so that would probably mess that up.

gossip.gif

...Tampa Bay,..which shouldn't lock up the town as much as the Yankees (I think the yankees were last year),...but it still adds a strain on reservations,.....I made mine a month ago w/points and I still had a hard time getting a room....

I didn't want to muck-up the CGC dinner thread, but anyone in town on Fri. night want to head north about 15 minutes of the convention center for ribs. Seriously... some of the best ribs I've ever had--(Andy's Barbeque in Cockeysville). It's a favorite of mine when I lived in the area and truly superior. I've also got to hit a crab joint or two that weekend, so if anyone's game, let me know.

Hey, I guess everyone has a website now, so if you're interested, send me a PM. It looks like Andy's still gets the thumbs up from one of Geppi's other ventures, Baltimore Magazine.

Paul,

If you want to possibly get together for ribs I would suggest the Corner Stable just down the road in Cockeysville. Never had anyone complain about the great food there. Let me know.

Tom

I don't know, as a resident of Cockeysville, I'm not too thrilled with all these comicon ruffians coming into my neighborhood. These kids better stay out of my yard! smile.gif

So the comicon pool party at your house is off??? 893whatthe.gif