• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The DEGREE of KEY (or books on your KEY list)
2 2

111 posts in this topic

Still a noob so just enjoying your lists for now, however, am I wrong in saying more Marvels are making the lists? Would you guys say Marvel is overall the most collected comics? (shrug)

GA - No (DC)

SA - Yes

BA - Yes

CA - ???

MA - No (Independents)

Still a noob so just enjoying your lists for now, however, am I wrong in saying more Marvels are making the lists? Would you guys say Marvel is overall the most collected comics? (shrug)

GA - No (DC)

SA - Yes

BA - Yes

CA - ???

MA - No (Independents)

Agree, also not sure on CA, but Marvel in the lead :banana: Think Image has ruled the Modern age (not just because of WD)?

Golden

(1) Detective Comics #27

(2) Sensation Comics #1

(3) Detective Comics #31

(4) Captain America Comics #1

(5) Daring Mystery Comics #1

Atom

(1) Thun'da #1

(2) Beware #10

(3) Famous Funnies #209-216

(4) Giant Comics Edition #12

(5) Strange Mysteries #2

Honorable mentions

a plethora of ECs

Silver

(1) Zap Comics #1

(2) Creepy #1

(3) Vampirella #1

(4) all the other Warren Frazetta covers

(5) House of Mystery #174 & House of Secrets #81 & Unexpected #105

Bronze

(1) Conan the Barbarian #1

(2) House of Secrets #92

(3) Web of Horror #3

(4) Savage Sword of Conan #1

(5) Swamp Thing #1

Copper

(1) Badger #1

(2) Dark Knight Returns #1-4

(3) Crow #1

(4) Primer #2

(5) Swamp Thing #37

Modern

(1) Walking Dead #1

(2) Grimm Fairy Tales #1

(3) Fatale #1

(4) Red Sonja #1

(5) Warlord of Mars #1

Yes.

Just like Toyota sells more cars than Porsche :grin:

Seriously though.. being the most collected has good points and bad points. It shows demand. But if tastes change (due to newer versions of the heroes getting popular, or movies etc.) then the much lower number of preserved DC comics will mean that the prices will sky rocket due to the much higher scarcity.

Yes.

Seriously though.. being the most collected has good points and bad points. It shows demand. But if tastes change (due to newer versions of the heroes getting popular, or movies etc.) then the much lower number of preserved DC comics will mean that the prices will sky rocket due to the much higher scarcity.

Yes, and no. The fact that Marvel is more popular for silver age comics hasn't meant that GA Timely's are worth more due to their relative scarcity to GA DC. Marvel SA will always be the silver age to collect, no matter how popular DC characters become in the future. Just as DC GA comics will be the ones to collect no matter how popular Marvel characters become in the future.

Golden:

1) Action Comics 1

2) Detective Comics 27

3) Marvel Comics 1

4) Superman 1

5) Captain America Comics 1

Silver:

1) Amazing Fantasy 15

2) Showcase 4

3) Fantastic Four 1

4) Amazing Spider-man 1

5) Hulk 1

Bronze:

1) Flintstones 1 35 cent variant

2) Scooby Doo 1 35 cent variant

3) Kid Colt 218 35 cent variant

4) Kid Colt 219 35 cent variant

5) Kid Colt 220 35 cent variant

Non-variant Bronze:

1) Incredible Hulk 181

2) Giant Size X-Men 1

3) Green Lantern 76

4) X-Men 94

5) Batman 227

Copper:

1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1

2) Albedo 2

3) Miracleman 15

4) Amazing Spider-man 300

5) New Mutants 98

Modern:

1) Walking Dead 1

2) Walking Dead 19

3) Walking Dead 2

4) Chew 1

5) Peter Panzerfaust 1

The biggest thing I have learned here is that there need to be lists that are a lot longer. Get on it, Overstreet!

Yes.

Yes, and no. The fact that Marvel is more popular for silver age comics hasn't meant that GA Timely's are worth more due to their relative scarcity to GA DC. Marvel SA will always be the silver age to collect, no matter how popular DC characters become in the future. Just as DC GA comics will be the ones to collect no matter how popular Marvel characters become in the future.

This makes me think about Action Comics 252. The introduction (not a reintro) of a major character that is more scarce than comparable Marvel comics character introductions. Why is this book not worth more?!? Like Supergirl v. Ant-man, for example? Shouldn't it be worth more than TTA 27?

Yes.

Yes, if they are new DC characters you are right.

I meant if for example Flash movies come out and become great hits while Flash becomes the top selling modern comic book. Then over time the Silver picture could change. We know that for example SC4 was considered the most important Silver key by many until all the Marvel movies came out. So there is no reason to think this could not happen again.

Yes.

This makes me think about Action Comics 252. The introduction (not a reintro) of a major character that is more scarce than comparable Marvel comics character introductions. Why is this book not worth more?!? Like Supergirl v. Ant-man, for example? Shouldn't it be worth more than TTA 27?

Super girl is not a major character in a 'timely' manner... nor does she have a series of expensive hollywood movies out about her...

But if that changes...

Yes.

Yes, if they are new DC characters you are right.

I meant if for example Flash movies come out and become great hits while Flash becomes the top selling modern comic book. Then over time the Silver picture could change. We know that for example SC4 was considered the most important Silver key by many until all the Marvel movies came out. So there is no reason to think this could not happen again.

um...I dont think all the credit can go to the Marvel movies here...pretty sure Stan and Jack had a lot to do with it over DECADES of producing quality work. (thumbs u

um...I dont think all the credit can go to the Marvel movies here...pretty sure Stan and Jack had a lot to do with it over DECADES of producing quality work. (thumbs u

Movie just gave an ambiguous popularity, that’s all. Both for good and for bad…

Truth...but I think it's been a slow fall for SC4, not an isolated issue, I.e. films. 0.02

Stan and Jack?

Or Steve ;)

But seriously Murphy Anderson and many others many great comics at the time... But like Valiant says the movies are what really pushed all these above SC4 etc. And no-one knows if Flash and others will reclaim the throne in the future thus making their first appearances, origins and first issues more desirable again.

Obviously more than Stan and Jack, I was using them as examples for my point: the "race" was closer due to writing, sales, and the solidifying of the big 2, not solely from films. Carry on :)

Golden Age

- Detective 27

- Peanuts 1

- Spirit 22

- Superman 1

- Young Men 24

Honorable mention to Strange Tales 1

Silver Age

- Avengers 1

- Daredevil 1

- Doctor Strange 169

- Fantastic Four 1

- Stranges Tales 110

Bronze Age

- Amazing Spider-Man 121

- Daredevil 158

- Doctor Strange 1

- Giant-Size X-Men 1

- Marvel Feature 1

Copper Age

- Albedo 2

- Dark Horse Presents 5th Anniversary Special

- Hellblazer 1

- Maus I

- Sandman 1

Honorable mention to Bone 1

Modern Age

- Liberty Meadows 1

- Mouse Guard 1

- Strangers in Paradise 1

- 3 Geeks 1

- Witchblade 1

Honorable mention to 100 Bullets 1

Stan and Jack?

Or Steve ;)

But seriously Murphy Anderson and many others many great comics at the time... But like Valiant says the movies are what really pushed all these above SC4 etc. And no-one knows if Flash and others will reclaim the throne in the future thus making their first appearances, origins and first issues more desirable again.

What? I was just suggesting that movies gave the characters an ambiguous kind of popularity, for the good and for the bad: ambiguous because on one side, they publicize the characters, and on the other, they have little to nothing to do with what’s substantial about them. That’s all.

Golden

(1a) Action Comics #1

(1b) Detective Comics #27

(3) Captain America Comics #1

(4) Flash Comics #1

(5) All-American Comics #16

Silver

(1) Amazing Fantasy #15

(2) Incredible Hulk #1

(3) Journey Into Mystery #83

(4) Brave & the Bold 28

(5) Tales of Suspense #39

Bronze

(1) Incredible Hulk #181

(2) Giant Sized X-men #1

(3) House of Secrets #92

(4) Amazing Spider-Man #129

(5) Iron Man #55

Copper

(1) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

(2) New Mutants #98

(3) Uncanny X-Men #266

(4) DC Comics Presents #26 - borderline BA

(5) New Mutants #87

Modern

(1) Batman Adventures #12

(2) San Diego Comic-Con Comics #2

(3) Walking Dead #1

(4) Next Men #21

(5) Spawn #1...personal fave!

Golden:

1. Peanuts comics 1 (Whatever that four color issue is)

2. Tec 31

3. Tip Top 1

4. Fritzi Ritz 21

5. PEP 22

Silver:

1. Metal Men 1

2. Showcase 37

3. Brave and Bold 28

Bronze:

1. Iron Fist 14

2. Iron Fist 14 35c variant

3. STAR WARS 1