• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hundreds of New Batman and Superman Variants Found in Newsstand Issues
2 2

59 posts in this topic

With the Bat signal representing later prints in the 1980s, what is the significance during the 90s? Specifically 1994, I have Batman Adventures 25 in three versions- Direct Sales UPC, newsstand UPC, and Bat signal. No evidence of later print in the indicia on the Bat signal issue, any suggestions of what this version is?

how about early 80s Diamond/Direct vs UPC/newsstand editions?

Ive wondered when and if people would start collecting the "rarer" versions as Variants.

Here's my opinion: The earliest versions of the direct sales (say from Sept 1980 thru Sep 1981) are harder to find and might be worth a little more someday. But I didn't have too much trouble finding them, so I don't think they would be worth a whole lot more. So I think it is more of a completionist thing, especially since the direct sales and newsstand versions were identical in every way except the bar code. I don't think there will ever be a lot of people trying to get both versions, so even if the supply is scarce there won't be a whole lot of demand

If you are selling spares, I would definitely keep the direct sales in the early years because they are harder to find.

I think the newsstand issues from 1999 thru 2010 are a different story. Some are variants, especially the ones that contain advertising or subscription inserts that can't be found in direct sales copies. And some of those are REALLY hard to find. So even though demand might not be too high (there's only a few of us completionist nuts running around) the supply is almost non-existent. So those might be worth 10 times more (or even more than that) than their direct sales counterparts.

Edited by Cpt Kirk

With the Bat signal representing later prints in the 1980s, what is the significance during the 90s? Specifically 1994, I have Batman Adventures 25 in three versions- Direct Sales UPC, newsstand UPC, and Bat signal. No evidence of later print in the indicia on the Bat signal issue, any suggestions of what this version is?

Your bat signal version is a reprint. You will see that in BM Adv 19 thru 29, I think. Guess what, there's even one more version of BM Adv 25. According to Jerome, it is the Best Western Promo.

Your bat signal version is a reprint. You will see that in BM Adv 19 thru 29, I think. Guess what, there's even one more version of BM Adv 25. According to Jerome, it is the Best Western Promo.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Canadian price variants as well as newsstand/direct editions within the Canadians. :ohnoez:

is there a direct and newstand Canadian Batman 423?????????

There is no such thing as a "direct" Canadian edition. Only newsstand - Canadian editions all have bar codes. The newsstand Batman 423 has a $1.00 cover price.

Canadian price variants as well as newsstand/direct editions within the Canadians. :ohnoez:

is there a direct and newstand Canadian Batman 423?????????

There is no such thing as a "direct" Canadian edition. Only newsstand - Canadian editions all have bar codes. The newsstand Batman 423 has a $1.00 cover price.

thirdgreenham was getting my panties all in a wad thinking there was a direct batman face and a barcode from Canada. :o:gossip:

What a terrific post. Thank you for all the research and for sharing the information. Few posts deserve the admiration and respect that yours deserves. Well done!

thanks. I really appreciate the compliments from you and others who chimed in.

regards

Kirk

Do you have the Identity Crisis 4 with the Sky Captain poster in the centerfold? Only advance copies have it - all the others were pulled as it destroyed the flow of the book.

did you ever find the Canadian Batman 423??????

Was he looking for one? Gotta check my copy...

if you have the canadian then you are my newest best friend!

Well, my 423 was a direct copy I did find my 404, 355 and 360 are Canadian NS copies though. Also found a nid-grade copy of Marvel Premiere 15...but I digress.