• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age books that don't turn you on

138 posts in this topic

Another title/character that I could not get excited about in any way was HAWKMAN.

Although the re-invention of the series in the HAWKWORLD 3 book mini-series of 1989, I thought was excellent. I think these stories are the epitome of the modern comic sophisticated storyline.

Some of these characers (like Hawkman) have had stories spannning many decades. I really like the Kubert Hawkman stories in Brave and Bold, didn't care for his regular series, and then loved the Tim Truman stuff in the copper age. You could say the same thing about most Marvel characters too, love early Spidey's, didn't like late bronze age period. Loved New X-Men, didn't care for the old, etc. Most superhero titles have had one good period at least, or they wouldn't have lasted very long. Just my 2c

I agree, Silver. I would never dismiss out of hand any long running title. Regarding SA DC superhero, World's Finest always seems to be a scorned title. Yet if you move away from those silly monster/sci-fi early SA issues there are some wonderful tales to be read, especially from the #140s onwards.

I agree, Silver. I would never dismiss out of hand any long running title. Regarding SA DC superhero, World's Finest always seems to be a scorned title. Yet if you move away from those silly monster/sci-fi early SA issues there are some wonderful tales to be read, especially from the #140s onwards.

I think World's Finest has been scorned and overlooked by many collectors also. For me it's about presentation. Firstly the title is corny and second the actual logo is bland and uninteresting and really does not speak to you in the same way as other DC logos.

The stories themselves are not that bad at all.

I can't stand any of the Silver Age Superman titles (Action, Adventure, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson), and I don't collect them. I still collect World's Finest because it is 50% Batman. And like many others here, I don't collect Wonder Woman.

I have not put much attention into collecting DC's war and horror books yet, but I have nothing against them. In general, the quality of art in these books was often better than what was in the superhero comics.

I can't stand any of the Silver Age Superman titles (Action, Adventure, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olson), and I don't collect them. I still collect World's Finest because it is 50% Batman. And like many others here, I don't collect Wonder Woman.

I have not put much attention into collecting DC's war and horror books yet, but I have nothing against them. In general, the quality of art in these books was often better than what was in the superhero comics.

Its a diverse hobby all right. As much as you hate those titles in bold, I love them.

Its a diverse hobby all right. As much as you hate those titles in bold, I love them.

Me too. All four titles are at the core of why I love collecting comic books. Also Superboy/Superman but I am not only DC.

+1 they are the core of my collection. There are some fanatstic comics in there. Sure a bunch of goofy or corny ones as well, but some real gems too.

DC: RIP Hunter, Sea Devils, Doom Patrol, Inferior 5, Plastic Man, Blackhawk, Showcase, early Brave & the Bold, The Atom, Aquaman, Hawkman

I may have agreed with you in the past about Sea Devils. However, my son loves the series from reading the issues in DC Showcase. I've read it with him and Russ Heath's artwork is amazing in B&W. I don't have any of the original issues. So, I don't know what they look like in color, but the B&W linework is great. My opinion of silver age DCs in general has risen greatly as I've read through the DC Showcase line with my son.

I would venture to guess Blackhawk collectors, these days, would be an extreme minority. So you're probably not alone on that front.

They just looked too militaristic to me in those blue uniforms. (I know, I know, they were a paramilitary outfit which I suppose is a big part of the reason they don't appeal to me.) The red uniforms to which they switched in 1964 or so were a big improvement in my book.

:(

Here's my list:

DC

Early Blackhawk

Early Tomahawk

Superboy

Jimmy Olsen

Sugar and Spike

Carmine Infantino-era Batman

MARVEL

Sgt. Fury

Captain America

X-Men

Daredevil

Avengers

Rawhide Kid

Matt Hawk Two-Gun Kid

HARVEY

Richie Rich

Little Lotta

Sad Sack

Baby Huey

GOLD KEY

The interior artwork was so bad throughout the line that I really liked only Doctor Solar and the Phantom.

Here's my list:

DC

Early Blackhawk YES

Early Tomahawk YES

Superboy NO

Jimmy Olsen NO

Sugar and Spike YES

Carmine Infantino-era Batman YES

MARVEL

Sgt. Fury YES

Captain America YES

X-Men YES

Daredevil YES

Avengers YES

New Two-Gun Kid YES

HARVEY

Richie Rich YES

Little Lotta YES

Sad Sack YES

Baby Huey YES

GOLD KEY

The interior artwork was so bad throughout the line that I liked only Doctor Solar and the Phantom. NO

YES=AGREE

NO=DISAGREE

I have never been able to read the X-Men. Crazy for a guy who sells comics for a living, but I could never stand them.

I love those, the sillier the better. Actually the title could be pretty dopey well into the 60s. Big Brain Batman insulting Caveman Supes - sign me up.

While most SA books don't really excite me as a reader, I do find a certain degree of charm in most of what came out in the mid 50s through the late 60s, even stuff that I find inferior to most, but my earlier post did indicate the few books from that era I'd be happy to forget existed.

Hepcat, if I were a cat I would hiss at you right now lol

Keep in mind though that we all have different tastes and I can't possibly like every DC title equally. And I really do admire your Sugar and Spike, Superboy and Jimmy Olsen collections! It's just that I'd sooner collect Fox and the Crow, Superman and Lois Lane myself.

(shrug)

Most of Carmine Infantino, and Don Heck's artwork is unreadable. Both have had some all time classic covers, but boy did they put out some terrible interior work.

Even Carmine Infantino's early sixties Flash and Adam Strange interiors?

Infantino9_zps8857d994.jpg

Infantino5_zps45466cb2.jpg

Infantino7_zps322c2a95.jpg

Carmine_zps6cac6247.gif

Carmine3_zps31b8488f.jpg

Infantino6_zpsb6934c03.png

And what about Infantino's Spider-Woman?

Carmine10_zps1ab01b9f.jpg

Carmine2_zps98d9ba4e.jpg

She looks quite fetching to me.

(shrug)

A title that has never appealed to me in any way is BLACKHAWK. Another is WONDER WOMAN.

DC: Wonder Woman, World's Finest, Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen, all War titles

And like many others here, I don't collect Wonder Woman.

While there aren't many Wonder Woman fans on this board, much of the cover art was really striking in the early sixties. Here are some examples from my collection:

22-05-201111549PM.jpg

26-05-201163238PM.jpg

26-05-201175014PM.jpg

31-05-201174104PM.jpg

31-05-201174107PM.jpg

31-05-201174124PM.jpg

:juggle: