• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What GA runs are impossible to complete?

51 posts in this topic

I've said it before, I think it would be nearly impossible to complete a run of New Adventure Comics. grin.gif

Seriously - Four Color would leap to mind, also some of the totally obscure stuff.

I'd have to agree with FD on Four Color. Good god, a full run?? Isn't that like the the ninth circle of hell or something?

I've been working on runs of Weird Terror (roughly a dozen books) and Black Magic (both pre and post code issues--about 50 books) for some time. The books are available every week on ebay, but these runs have proven damn near impossible to complete in high grade (strict VF or better). I suspect it will still take me several years to finsh HG runs on these titles, if ever! frustrated.gif

Detective for a big, expensive task with tough early issues. Catman seems pretty tough for a shorter run.

Agreed. Even if you eliminated all those pesky Batman issues, Detective 1-26 would be a bear.

As a Nedor collector, there sure seems to be a lot of issues in all Nedors titles that just never surface in any condition, and the census reflects that, with often one or zero copies graded.

In general...

Based on money I'd say any superhero title with more than 50 issues would be tough to complete financially. (ie Superman, Captain America, Whiz)

Based on rarity I'd say the esoteric titles from 1942 an earlier with more than 10 issues in a run. (ie Fantastic Comics, Catman, Terrific Comics)

West

Based on the combined considerations of cost and availability, the most difficult titles would be:

1. Adventure Comics (including New Comics and New Adventure Comics). There are many key/expensive books, and issue Nos. 2, 13, 26 and 27 are virtually impossible to find in any condition.

2. Detective Comics. Even more expensive than Adventure, and issue nos. 2, 3, 4 and 9, among others, are very hard to find in any condition.

I second Catman... The early issues are near impossible. Add in the never seen #13, and you're in for a world of hurt looking to complete that run.

I agree with you about Catman, even though I am working on that very run. If I find a restored # 13, I'll grab it and consider myself lucky! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Marvel Mystery run including the rare Marvel Mystery b/w "annual" printed in 1944 USA. sumo.gif

Will you consider selling or trading your Marvel Mystery Annual? tongue.gif

No, I think I will be buried with it. Need something to read in the afterlife. devil.gif

Agreed on Fight Against Crime...somebody with an ebay store (I forgot who right now) has the issue with the head decapitation in VG for 900....that's like 9x guide!

While you'll probably pay a hefty premium for FaC #20 - it is out there, and I've seen the gerber no-show issue ( #7?) a couple of times on Ebay. A popular pre-code crime run for sure, but I doubt impossible to complete.

If we include 50s titles, I've always been under the impression that some of the romance runs are extremely difficult to complete.

I know that Jeff Weaver of Mad Cow Comics is putting a run together of Catman. You may want to contact him... maybe you can help each other out.

Yep, he's always bidding on any Catman's that come up. frustrated.gif