• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lost masterpiece or POS?

11 posts in this topic

Is this painting in "the book" (forget the name) of the Barks' oil paintings? He has such a fan base that it seems the existence of the original painting (or not) could be verified by Geppi, Hamilton, or some of the other fanatics. I would imagine that at a bid of 6 figures, the buyer will fly in person to see, and authenticate, the "golden nugget". In Alaska nonetheless!

No 1 will pay cash for this painting without flying down to Santa Barbara & seeing it in person. I like how the seller has a restocking fee of about $45k if u decide u wish to return it. That's enough scratch to buy a Hulk 181 cgc 9.9. tongue.gif

Wouldn't it have been cheaper for the parents to hang a Barks Disney poster or litho in the BABY room? Why would anyone potential butcher an original Barks oil painting by coating it with urethane (even if it was a gift from Barks) ? This story smells like day old diapers ! crazy.gif

I'm a bit skeptical, as well. BUT, everyone should keep in mind that Barks had next to no reputation until the mid-70's when comic and Disney collectors had known who he was for some time and people actually started spending big bucks on his work. The idea of his work being used by a friend in a nursery and being coated in polyeurethane is not too far fetched for the time. Don't forget-some people used to completely cover their comics with magic tape because they thought it would preserve them. Stranger ideas regarding preservation than coating a painting with polyeurathane have come along .

A restocking fee of $45,000??? Based on what? Who the hell is the seller other than someone trying to run a huge scam. If it's what it's supposed to be, who would want to return it once bought? This guy's TIME to put it back on the wall is worth $45,000? He sells GARBAGE on Ebay, besides this "alleged" Barks "original". Anyone who owns the real one isn't going to come forward HERE and say so. For what? They're going to call the authorities and see if they can get this guy to swing on the "gallows" for trying to sell $375,000 worth of bologna.

You have to remember that when Barks first started doing his paintings (and he only did them after he received permission from Disney) that he sold them for only a few hundred dollars, so certainly a fan could have bought a painting for a few hundred and coated it.

Barks only worked on Canvas for less than two dozen paintings before switching to masonite until he passed away, so if it is really his, it would be from 71-72 time period.

But he also numbered all of his paintings on the back of the canvas, so I would think that the seller should show a picture of the back with the numbering on it.

That being said, this painting is priced at far more than what I think anyone would consider a reasonable value. Only Barks' money bin paintings (and a couple of his really large multi-character late ones) have consistently sold in the six figures.

Anyone willing to spend 300K on a Barks painting, would almost certainly buy a money bin painting.