• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Makes a Good First Appearance?

44 posts in this topic

I don't think an action cover would scareoff the people who don't read, though. Who doesn't buy a comic because the cover is too action-packed or gives you too good an idea of what the interior is about?

Seems like they've chosen to be original at the expense of what was already a good idea.

Although the first appearance of the Kingpin doesn't adhere to the formula of sporting the dude who makes his first appearance, and in one fell-swoop, upstages the good-guy with a swing or a death-blow, ASM 50 it still is one of my all-time favourite covers.

leads me to point out that Marvel for some reason RARELY seems to put anything on the cover with their new releases that gives you much of an idea who or what the story is about.

This is an edict that has been handed down from Bill Jemas, James. He has stated that Marvel will no longer print the 'group grope' cover style that had predominated, but will instead print cover art focusing on the main character or a striking image.

What makes a good first appearance is the character full body action pose, ready to fight.  With character speaking and clearly stating their name, and a short blurb explaining who he is.  Here's one good example:
Image result for first wolverine hulk 180

1 minute ago, kav said:

What makes a good first appearance is the character full body action pose, ready to fight.  With character speaking and clearly stating their name, and a short blurb explaining who he is.  Here's one good example:

Oh but that CANNOT be his 1st appearance because it is only 1 single panel.  So it is a cameo.  Get your stuff straight @kav I mean COME ON!

Just now, Crops068 said:

Oh but that CANNOT be his 1st appearance because it is only 1 single panel.  So it is a cameo.  Get your stuff straight @kav I mean COME ON!

dang

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Right I would say ff48 is 1st Galactus because he says his name and they mention him

73D9ABCC-29CC-40F8-A26D-C7456ABE5A9A.jpeg

Edited by silversufer27

4 minutes ago, silversufer27 said:

Right I would say ff48 is 1st Galactus because he says his name and they mention him

73D9ABCC-29CC-40F8-A26D-C7456ABE5A9A.jpeg

Thats the first app Christmas Galactus fyi

Image result for first appearance galactus

Just now, silversufer27 said:

Lmao I prefer to keep it original 

I hope you're not saying the red and green one is the original-