• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Foreign Versions of Comics?
1 1

49 posts in this topic

True enough, and I think the key sentence here is ' .. if he is lucky to find them .. '. Some of those books (10%) are easy to find, but the rest? ..

It's not the fact that they aren't U.S. books .. it's the scarcity value of some Foreigns that makes them rare and pushes the buying-price up. That's the part that a lot of collectors haven't cottoned-onto yet. But they will, sooner or later.

I personally have seen Mexican Silver age La Prensa's explode in value over the last few years. Their rarity is a huge factor in this..... Throw in some deep pocket Spanish collectors you have to compete with and you got a market with very good growth prospects.... Supply is already having trouble meeting demand as far as some issues are concerned. Get ready... foreign books are right on the precipice of surprising some people. hm

Edited by Define999

These books are rare. Actually RARE. Many collectors love to be "know it all's," (we all do it) and make general assumptions about value, but the fact is; there is not much sales data collected on foreign editions.

It is almost a completely ignored genre in a hobby where people pride themselves on being experts.

It's strange that these have been ignored for so long because there are great international variants out there to still be found. We still don't even know what all exists because they have not been properly documented. I have been following the market for some time now. Here are some sales that may interest you guys.

Screenshot_2016-07-04-14-22-01.png

Edited by Slim Pickins

This sales data is for your amusement. Take it as you wish. I believe these books are sleepers but that is my own insane opinion. With Google having the ability to translate webpages, it has made it easier for collectors to navigate and find these foreign editions. Our world is getting smaller. How much longer will these go unnoticed?

Great articles Slim! I think as more awareness comes on line we will see further upward momentum on pricing growth. I cant tell you how many times I have walked into local comic shops/shows here in northern New Mexico doing a little show and tell. Only to have shop owners and random collectors make me offers on foreign books. I still think a huge amount of the general comic collecting public still has no awareness these books exist. Like we have always said... you cant collect what you don't know exist! :gossip:

Edited by Define999

If I had to pick one book that could bring more than its US counterpart - it's the Horwitz print Australian Daredevil #1. (1965)

Extremely hard to find now, and an epic cover.

http://ausreprints.net/issue/49211/0

Pence variants have traditionally sold for about 30% less than U.S. copies, but that is changing. I personally would take a pence version over a U.S. version every time and I know others on here feel the same way. I think eventually there will be enough people collecting pence variants to push them above U.S. values, as the supply is so much lower. But that might still be a few years off.

2c

That's never going to happen. American comic books are American not english. Purists will always choose cents copies 2c

NORTH American…

Pence variants have traditionally sold for about 30% less than U.S. copies, but that is changing. I personally would take a pence version over a U.S. version every time and I know others on here feel the same way. I think eventually there will be enough people collecting pence variants to push them above U.S. values, as the supply is so much lower. But that might still be a few years off.

2c

That's never going to happen. American comic books are American not english. Purists will always choose cents copies 2c

Well, we'll see I guess. It's my understanding the print run on the pence editions is 10% (or less) than the cents version. Because the supply is so much lower, even if all the purists stick to the cents edition, there may still be enough demand from variant collectors to create a premium for pence editions.

I know most pence enthusiasts (including myself) consider these to be true price variants, similar to the 30 or 35 cent variants from the 70's or the Canadian price variants from the 80's. They are not reprints, they were printed during the same print run as the cents editions, they just swapped out the price box. So while "American comic books are American not english," in this case, the English comic books are also American as well.

I'm taking a never say never approach. No one ever thought Whitman logo DCs would ever be desirable. They were once considered to be the bottom of the barrel. Total trash. Now, they are becoming a sought after "variants". People are now going ga-ga over later print DCs, such as fourth and fifth prints.

I used to look down on pence copies. Now, I like them. I recently picked up a high grade Defenders 26 pence copy for almost nothing. I bought it specifically because it was a pence copy.

Time will tell if they ever catch up with cent copies. At one time, I would have said no way. However, now? (shrug)

Comic collecting has a lot of nostalgia factored into the equation. With the movies exposing large portions of the International community to these franchises, we may see an uptick in interest in the foreign additions from those there with the disposable income to pursue them. It only takes a few dozen new collectors to significantly impact a market on the more scarce items. I've noticed pence versions in better grade going for strong money on Heritage recently. It would be nice if a bidder's nationality could be ascertained for market analysis..... even simply if they are NOT American. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Another factor to take in count is condition.

SA and BA foreign comics are almost non existant in VF or better.

Even moderns are an exception in true NM or better condition

A few examples:

DD%207%20ita_zps0wydjr2h.jpeg

Cap%20100%20ita_zpsmthskx17.jpeg

FF%2048b%20ita_zpsiropcuhb.jpeg

FF%2052b%20ita_zpsxubu2uvl.jpeg

Asm%20129%20ita_zpszjzveybn.jpeg

Batman%20181%20ita_zpsbl2colsg.jpeg

Superman%20199%20ita_zpsmqh8hzxn.jpeg

this one surprised me, a solid VF/NM

Star%20Trek%201%20ita_zpsuv2gtp2w.jpeg

And if you are very lucky, you can find stuff like this