• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,818 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

There’s that weird .5 that’s sort of a coverless copy, but isn’t, which is about to sell in the next Comicconnect auction. I’m pretty sure it will sell for around $25K-$30K. Maybe a tad more.

Such a weird configuration that one 

On 12/12/2013 at 12:37 AM, Primetime said:

you can afford another copy :baiting:

Ok, here's my current (and second copy I've ever owned) copy. There's a story behind every book and here it is as I was told:

Mary was given 3 comics. She stored them at her parents house. She just discovered that one of the 3 comics was an original Batman #1 from 1940...Mary was a young (20 yrs?) lady traveling in Alaska. A male aquaintance asked her if she liked magazines. She said yes and he gave her 3 comic books. Batman # 1, Fight Comics #5 and Jumbo Comics #15 (all around same time period). Mary took back home to Washington state and stored them away. When going through her parents estate 40 years later she rediscovered the comics. After CGC and stopping briefly through two dealers, I acquired the book :)

1AE10CFF-1536-42E0-B831-E301FDD16659_zpsgigajyew.jpg

It's a small world.  That was also my previous copy.  Thank you for the very cool background story.

Batman01.2.001.jpg

Now they’re just falling from the sky.  This one is in the next Clink auction.  I’ll be curious how the changing stock market, the trend toward state taxes,  and the tape on the book affect the hammer price . . .  

Seeing as how I was the last person granted entry into this noble club, I hope I don’t find out my price for admission was too crazy out of line with the rest of the world.

492BA8AC-3507-4800-A87B-6BC71490BB0B.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Now they’re just falling from the sky.  This one is in the next Clink auction.  I’ll be curious how the changing stock market, the trend toward state taxes,  and the tape on the book affect the hammer price . . .  

Seeing as how I was the last person granted entry into this noble club, I hope I don’t find out my price for admission was too crazy out of line with the rest of the world.

Oh but that “dot “  ❤️   Any evidence on a first or second print with that ? 

4 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

The dot after the No. 

Yes I figured that was what you meant. So I ran to Gerbers and saw the same dot there. I never knew some Bat 1s had them and some didn’t. 

Is there a school of thought that this is the distinction between a first and second print?

6 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

As far as I’ve generally seen Batman 1 has been one of the more readily available mega keys that hit auctions. Not sure if you follow auctions annually but I’ve seen them pop up somewhat routinely. So I wouldn’t say they’re falling out of the sky anymore than they usually do lol.

I suspect the sales tax may have an affect, but there’s ways around that since it doesn’t apply to all states yet, and the stock market rises and falls daily as usual. Not sure that will play a big role. In my opinion the tape may be the biggest issue for this copy and what it sells for, although it does present very well for a 3.0

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes I figured that was what you meant. So I ran to Gerbers and saw the same dot there. I never knew some Bat 1s had them and some didn’t. 

Is there a school of thought that this is the distinction between a first and second print?

Can’t remember.  I do think that the copy with the dot is preferred by dicernables if given the option with everything being equal. 

42 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

As far as I’ve generally seen Batman 1 has been one of the more readily available mega keys that hit auctions. Not sure if you follow auctions annually but I’ve seen them pop up somewhat routinely. So I wouldn’t say they’re falling out of the sky anymore than they usually do lol.

I suspect the sales tax may have an affect, but there’s ways around that since it doesn’t apply to all states yet, and the stock market rises and falls daily as usual. Not sure that will play a big role. In my opinion the tape may be the biggest issue for this copy and what it sells for, although it does present very well for a 3.0

I guess I only just noticed the Bat 1 now because I only just recently had a few extra dollars burning a hole in my wallet

15 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Nice !  Earliest Bat Tec ? 

My only other Batman is Tommy Thorson’s copy of Tec 35, which I picked up in CCs latest auction.  (And NO, CC did NOT send me a bottle of wine at the end of the year).  Something WooWoo said here on the Boards made me think he once owned it.

I used to have a Tec 31 and 33 but sold them years ago.  For a song, comparatively speaking to today

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

4 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

What the what?

The copy without the Dot I have heard was before they really started printing?. I have only seen your copy and one other without the Dot. IMO i would say its a lot rarer and I would prefer a copy without the Dot So to me Yabig.thumb.jpg.1956f52b6cd9c41092049bf123f8f40c.jpg:headbang:

Edited by woowoo

12 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I cant really imagine that they in the process of printing Bat 1 would stop the press to insert an erroneously placed dot and then continue printing. If they had discovered a missing dot and decided that this missing dot was important enought to stop the press. Then they would also have placed it correctly I think.

So: I find it more plausible that the erroneously placed dot has been discovered during the pressing. And has then just been removed, to quickly get back on track with production.

But I guess well never know.