• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, The-Collector said:

Is Spook 22 really that rare? I notice a 5.0 sold for $2500 in September and has now been relisted by the purchaser with a markup:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spook-22-L-B-Cole-Extremely-Rare-/182837352760?hash=item2a91f49938:g:ydMAAOSwSFBZ5jPa

Sort after cover makes it just that 

1 hour ago, comicjack said:
3 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Is Spook 22 really that rare? I notice a 5.0 sold for $2500 in September and has now been relisted by the purchaser with a markup:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spook-22-L-B-Cole-Extremely-Rare-/182837352760?hash=item2a91f49938:g:ydMAAOSwSFBZ5jPa

Sort after cover makes it just that 

Here is the link to that previous sale.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPOOK-22-CGC-5-0-Golden-Age-Pre-Code-HORROR-LB-Cole-ART-Decapitated-Head-cover-/122272208917?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=UsZTNmsMSQj0FWbffZQd3uQIXfs%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Really not much of flip especially depending what offer he might accept.

Edited by telerites

8 minutes ago, telerites said:

Yeah I did think it was odd. Basically no profit after eBay fees.

I guess I was more interested in figuring out if people think this book is scarce? And whether they think it is worth that much?

Edited by The-Collector

1 minute ago, The-Collector said:

I guess I was more interested in figuring out if people think this book is scarce? And whether they think it is worth that much?

Don't think it's scarce as much as locked into people's collections. I know I want one for that great purple cover alone. There're out there, but none too much selling. 2c

5 minutes ago, The-Collector said:

Yeah, Jake, I had no idea.  I guess it was worth $2,500 to that buyer and thought he could flip it or had some buyer's remorse.  There are five copies on the census with the Church at 8.0 being the highest and GPA only reflects this sale and the MH, once in 2012 for $650 and prior in 2010 for $717 so it went down then.  

Crazy market.

31 minutes ago, telerites said:

Yeah, Jake, I had no idea.  I guess it was worth $2,500 to that buyer and thought he could flip it or had some buyer's remorse.  There are five copies on the census with the Church at 8.0 being the highest and GPA only reflects this sale and the MH, once in 2012 for $650 and prior in 2010 for $717 so it went down then.  

Crazy market.

I had several chances to buy the Church copy. It was on Metro's site for quite a while. Then it showed up on Heritage where I was the underbidder. After that it sat on eBay for over a year. I had it in my cart several times but I never pulled the trigger:pullhair:

I still need the 22 and 28 to complete the run but there's no way I would pay that much for a 5.0!

52 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

I had several chances to buy the Church copy. It was on Metro's site for quite a while. Then it showed up on Heritage where I was the underbidder. After that it sat on eBay for over a year. I had it in my cart several times but I never pulled the trigger:pullhair:

I still need the 22 and 28 to complete the run but there's no way I would pay that much for a 5.0!

I thought you had them all by now (:

Good luck picking those up.  You've got such a great assortment of classic Coles.  

51 minutes ago, telerites said:

I thought you had them all by now (:

Good luck picking those up.  You've got such a great assortment of classic Coles.  

Thanks,

I'm only 1 or 2 away on most of the main titles but at the rate they show up it will be many years if ever before I complete them. Books like Spook 22 and 28, Startling Terror 4,6 and 7, Blue Bolt 104 and Ghostly Weird 120 just don't ever seem to show up in higher grades.

3 minutes ago, lbcolefan said:

Thanks,

I'm only 1 or 2 away on most of the main titles but at the rate they show up it will be many years if ever before I complete them. Books like Spook 22 and 28, Startling Terror 4,6 and 7, Blue Bolt 104 and Ghostly Weird 120 just don't ever seem to show up in higher grades.

I didn't know 104 was tough in higher grade.  mine is a slabbed 6.0.  My 120 is lower grade and have not had it graded.  That run of Blue Bolt starting with 101 through the Ghostly Weirds was the run I wanted to finish which I did but mostly mid graders.  He was so good and prolific in so many different genres.  I will never forget meeting him and how kind he was.

Good luck :wishluck: