• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, rtsunlimited said:

Here's the twin that I picked up in the same auction.

I was living in London at the time and was bidding frantically in the middle of the night. 

Great memories!!

I missed out on a lot of great items! A few of which I tracked down later though.

I would *LOVE* to track down more of the paintings and cover proofs I lost out on. hint hint   :shy:

Tim Collins (10 of 16).jpg

Two great pickups!  I think they would rocket to the moon if auctioned on Heritage. 

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Only three of these on the census (a 7.5 and another 4.0), but I'm not sure how many people have been slabbing low-to-mid-grade Cole romance books. 

2018-07-05-0001_zpsokgfdsbs.JPG

That’s a beaut! And must be a real tough one. I can’t recall seeing it before.

On 7/2/2018 at 11:10 AM, Timely said:

It is. There are many Cosmic Aeroplane Copies with that large name stamp.

I thought about bidding on it, but I wasn't sure about what whitish stain near the top of the spine could be. I wouldn't have bid anywhere close to $3K, anyway (and that was without knowing that it had restoration). If I recall, a slabbed 7.0 sold on CLink a while back...I think it went for about $2K.

11 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

Just won this one on Heritage!

2D72EF69-B0D6-400B-98B2-CDC3B26611DB.jpeg

Congrats.  I was looking at that one, too.  OT, but kind of interesting that Rudolph Valentino, who had been dead about 25 years by then, was still thought to be of interest to comic book readers in 1950.

1 hour ago, lbcolefan said:

Thanks, It cost me a little more than I expected but how often do high grade copies show up.

I also picked up the second issue recently even though it has a photo cover.

76C25B5F-0914-45CD-B29B-BD6D5DA61C62.jpeg

If it can't be a Marilyn cover, I'll more than settle for a Liz cover. :)

5 hours ago, lbcolefan said:

Thanks, It cost me a little more than I expected but how often do high grade copies show up.

I also picked up the second issue recently even though it has a photo cover.

76C25B5F-0914-45CD-B29B-BD6D5DA61C62.jpeg

Congrats on two great pickups!  The Liz covers are very desirable.  The black border on this book makes it extremely tough to find in grade.  I bought one from Harley 20 years ago, only to find out upon submission many years later that it had been touched up.