• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,893 posts in this topic

who stopped this thread? and why? where are the l.b. cole faithful?

723314-Tailspin.jpg

723314-Tailspin.jpg.4b22e40369a7e488bcd952398a0c21f1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Here's my newest LB Cole book, Contact Comics #12, a book that I have wanted for many years. I consider the cover of this book to be among Cole's best... along with Captain Flight #11, Thrilling Crime Cases #49, Suspense #8, and Blue Bolt #111 and #115. This copy is really nice, and I got it for what I consider to be lower than market price. Flat, glossy, staples very firm, no brittleness, off-white pages, and no tears or tape. There is an erased arrival date (why? I like arrival dates!) in the yellow on the right edge. I'd call it a Fine-

Were Aviation Press books related to Continental Comics (Suspense Comics)? The books have similar color and paper quality. If they are, though, I'm surprised this one is so nice because most Continental books are ragged, particularly on the spine. Next up are Captain Flight #11 and Captain Aero #26. Could take me a while...

732525-contact12.jpg

732525-contact12.jpg.ebed1f2f8109d50c2506e797811f1720.jpg

Edited by paull

Thanks, SH. I'll deserve it if I can find nice copies of Captain Flight #11 and Captain Aero #26 to go with this one. Contact #12, while scarce, is certainly much more plentiful than the other two.

Edited by paull

I don't think there's a bad cover among LB Cole's Blue Bolts.

734109-BlueBolt116.jpg

734109-BlueBolt116.jpg.7e77dd6c6f500a4dc2de14acffd8ca6f.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

No there isn't.

Great book, from a pedigree?

No. But it has look and feel of one.

Do you have anymore HG L.B. Cole Star Publishing books?

Yes. I'll post some more from time to time. Have you already posted on the thread? If not would you mind sharing?

These are impossible to find in HG (I have about 8 and would have 50 if they were available).

I wouldn't say that, as there is another collector who, if he is to be believed -- and I do -- scooped up scores of them in the 90s. I wasn't as single-minded in my pursuit. If you go to Metropolis you'll see some very nice ones, including STT 11. None of them cheap, of course, but in my experience they seem to turn up with regularity. They usually sell pretty quick as even folks who don't collect GA will often buy one because they like a particular cover. Now if you are looking for a particular issue and having trouble finding it, I can believe that. There aren't very many high-grade copies to go around of any particular issue.

wouldn't say that, as there is another collector who, if he is to be believed -- and I do -- scooped up scores of them in the 90s. I wasn't as single-minded in my pursuit. If you go to Metropolis you'll see some very nice ones, including STT 11. None of them cheap, of course, but in my experience they seem to turn up with regularity. They usually sell pretty quick as even folks who don't collect GA will often buy one because they like a particular cover. Now if you are looking for a particular issue and having trouble finding it, I can believe that. There aren't very many high-grade copies to go around of any particular issue.

The same L.B.Cole cover books have been on Metro's site for an extremely long time. That says something about the price. And I probably would buy the non- certified ones from them, for the prices they wanted, if they were CGC'd. But I'm not going to pay above guide prices for VF / VF+ ungraded books, putting all the risk on me.

I went te MegaCon and there was not one LB.Cole Star book in VF or better, graded or not. I talked to Motor City Comics, Graham Cracker Collectibles,Bedrock Comics, and many others.

Na zilch.

Actually Mike Goldman say they are in a down cycle as he gets less and less request. I said that's probably because they aren't available.

And I have pretty much post the ones that I have on the thread or another thread.

I did submit a nice book yesterday and should have it back in a week or two. It's not mine yet (it's a long time friends), as we couldn't exactly agree on the grade, and therefore the price. So I told the seller, lets just submit and find out (which he agreed). 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Graham Cracker? Run away as fast as you can!

Didn't buy anything from any dealer. If Motor City Comics had a book I wanted, I would have bought from them. Every uncertified book, had a label on it (yes, it was on the mylar, not the book), noting their grade and restoration if any (and they had a lot of restored books) and price. Unfortunately, the best they had was one F+ book (and their grade seem right).

That to me says they took the time to actually look at the book.

Wow......Never seen those, pretty boring sleeping.gif

Just kidding!!!!!

Those are CLASSIC. Now I know where all the best books are hiding. Is the Thrilling Mystery the Spokane copy?

Please show more. grin.gif

a couple of covers....

738035-1thricri49.jpg738035-1starter11.jpg

I didn't realize you had any "modern comics". poke2.gif

flowerred.gif Those are great covers. I can see why you kept them.

a couple of covers....

738035-1thricri49.jpg738035-1starter11.jpg

I didn't realize you had any "modern comics". poke2.gif

flowerred.gif Those are great covers. I can see why you kept them.

this is about all i have for Star Comics...i tried to get a sampling of different genres....

738199-1bluebolt105.jpg738199-1shocmys53.jpg738199-1terror4.jpg

738199-1terror4.jpg.2c866e242683711ba7077497b6d38ef3.jpg