• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Safe for CGC Slabs

52 posts in this topic

I've been using my gun safe for my hi-end books for the last 3 years now. No issues with rust on the staples. It's designed specifically for security and not to be either fire or water proof. Air has no problems circulating through it. I still keep several mini-dyhumidifiers to ensure it's dry as a bone though (more for the firearms and ammo than the comics).

safe.jpg

I've been using my gun safe for my hi-end books for the last 3 years now. No issues with rust on the staples. It's designed specifically for security and not to be either fire or water proof. Air has no problems circulating through it. I still keep several mini-dyhumidifiers to ensure it's dry as a bone though (more for the firearms and ammo than the comics).

safe.jpg

Safe name and or model #?

Looks like a great option since I too have guns and ammo to store.

Also - are those the mini-dehumidifiers on the door? which brand do you use?

Edited by rfoiii

DO NOT purchase any safe from your local box store that states it is fire proof. these use moisture packets in the walling and will jack your books up. Don't try using baking soda or other moisture absorbent materials.

Find a safe from an actual safe company that is fire rated with insulation. Carefully read up on the materials used in any gun safe you purchase and don't cheap out. Most gun safes (Costco, Wal Mart, etc.) are fairly easy to break into. A good pry bar and two minutes and I can be in to just about any of those safes. Be sure that your safe does not have wheels on it - someone was trying to make moving them convenient and it happens that thieves like convenience too.

I personally have a safety deposit box I use. The only inconvenience is that you have to go in during banking hours to access it.

I had heard that about about some safes. Do you know what specific chemicals to avoid?

Safe deposit box is where I have some stuff now, but it is getting really annoying to make extra trips to see/exchange what is there...

Wow, you people are being way too nice. He invited people to be unproductive here and you are actually helping him. Wow. I know a good safe, but it costs $350.

Believe it or not, we are mostly nice around here.

:shrug:

-slym

I've never found the "tree fiddy" joke anything other than ridiculously annoying

Gameday bucket go BOOM!

Climate controlled storage is about $110 to $125 a month for a ten by ten unit. Vault storage is going to run you a lot more (several hundred to a thousand dollars a month) and access is going to be an issue (overall). Vault storage is meant in general for items over $10,000 each and up. A lot of art collectors use this kind of storage.

Keep in mind to review your insurance policy for your collectibles. Some will only pay a certain amount for items stored at home or in storage! I am surprised that no one mentioned this. Be very careful and be sure to ask questions. It is not blanket coverage on everything. This includes where and how items are stored and if they have those locations on file, etc.

Hope that helps.

Climate controlled storage is about $110 to $125 a month for a ten by ten unit. Vault storage is going to run you a lot more (several hundred to a thousand dollars a month) and access is going to be an issue (overall). Vault storage is meant in general for items over $10,000 each and up. A lot of art collectors use this kind of storage.

Keep in mind to review your insurance policy for your collectibles. Some will only pay a certain amount for items stored at home or in storage! I am surprised that no one mentioned this. Be very careful and be sure to ask questions. It is not blanket coverage on everything. This includes where and how items are stored and if they have those locations on file, etc.

Hope that helps.

Extremely helpful, thanks!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7065518&fpart=1

Purchase a decent sized safe.

I have a Fort Knox Safe bolted to the foundation with golden rod humidity control. Fort Knox Safes costs around $2k and up. I also have a monitored burglar alarm with motion detection.

You can still cut the top off using a Sawzall with diamond blade. I keep my power tools locked up separately from my safe.

Wow, you people are being way too nice. He invited people to be unproductive here and you are actually helping him. Wow. I know a good safe, but it costs $350.

Believe it or not, we are mostly nice around here.

:shrug:

-slym

Me too, but I am human, and when someone says

Also, nonvalue-add commenters are welcome.

I am tempted easily :devil:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7065518&fpart=1

Purchase a decent sized safe.

I have a Fort Knox Safe bolted to the foundation with golden rod humidity control. Fort Knox Safes costs around $2k and up. I also have a monitored burglar alarm with motion detection.

You can still cut the top off using a Sawzall with diamond blade. I keep my power tools locked up separately from my safe.

Now this is what I am talking about, thanks!

Side note - do you insure your books as well?

Always buy a safe Made in the US, because the US is where the best steel is made, brands like Brown Safe, Fort Knox, AMSEC, Ect.. are all excellent. Fort Knox Safes are some of the most expensive, but can add how much steel you want to any safe.

If you want 1 inch of steel in the body and 1/2 inch steel on the door, you can.

Get one that is Fire Proof, not Fire resistant! Each safe has a Fire Rating, i.e 1850 degrees 45 minutes, 2500 degrees for 1 hour ect...

Quality high rated burglary safes have 2 rating TR-15 and TR-30 which means, The best safe crackers spent 15 minutes (TR-15) which had tools on it for 15 minutes and tools on the TR-30 for 30 minutes.

You can also customize the inside with how you want the shelving laid out as well as all the bells and whites, corner locks, extra steel in the door and body, blow torch proof (stainless steel lining) interior lights ect...

Always buy a safe bigger than you need cause you'll fill it up fast!

I've had a Fort Knox safe for 10+ years. I would highly recommend them.

Comes with a lifetime warranty. This past year the lock mechanism went bad. They send out a locksmith and fixed it all on their dime. No paperwork, no hassle, and very timely. Combine a home safe with C.I.A. blanket insurance for further peace of mind.

IMG_0833.jpg

Edited by bomber-bob

I have the mechanical Sargent and Greenleaf combination lock, rather than electronic. The mechanical locked can be key locked. I saw a Fort Knox Safe with both mechanical and electronic locks.

The safe should be bolted down. The seller installed the safe in few minutes, by himself with a small dolly. Even a one ton safe that is not bolted down can be moved with a dolly.

Edited by BitterOldMan

I've had a Fort Knox safe for 10+ years. I would highly recommend them.

Comes with a lifetime warranty. This past year the lock mechanism went bad. They send out a locksmith and fixed it all on their dime. No paperwork, no hassle, and very timely. Combine a home safe with C.I.A. blanket insurance for further peace of mind.

IMG_0833.jpg

Love the mayor Daley posters :applause: