AJD's comic notebook
8 8

563 posts in this topic

AJD   
  • 4,407 posts
4 hours ago, Hepcat said:

Actually I think the cover is kind of cool!

To each his own Hep. I do like the strong red colour, but I'm underwhelmed by the composition, especially with the two bears visually overpowering the stars of the show.

Hepcat   
  • 7,560 posts
On ‎2015‎-‎08‎-‎02 at 12:04 AM, AJD said:

**Warning - aviation nerdiness ahead **

Continuing on the aviation theme here, I promised to come back to the subject of the Soviet fighter on the cover of this Australian Fight comic (which shares its cover with Wings 121):

Fight_31_Oz.thumb.JPG.40b7bf05b0ed6ea8d17f03d362f64e69.JPG

It's interesting because there was no Soviet fighter that looked like that in service. While that mightn't mean much - after all, there are a few imaginary aeroplanes on comic covers and Wings 112 even has a flying saucer - but in this case I think there's a bit more to it. The same plane appears on Wings 118 here (the aircraft in the foreground is a US Navy F9F Panther, quite well rendered):

2243577-118__winter_1952_.jpg

And again on Wings 119 (the unlikely looking American aircraft is actually a quite accurately drawn F7U Cutlass - an exotic bird to be sure).

2243578-119__june_1953_.jpg

I thought I had this sorted out, because the appearance of this 'non plane' is the same as this model kit, first released in 1953:

Aurora%2066-100%20Mig19sldbrw.JPG

My first thought was that the artists used the model as a... err... model. But that can't be right, because the Wings appeared in 1952. So it's more likely both of them used some other source material. But what source material? The aircraft they drew/modelled isn't a MiG-19, which looks very different, but was actually a one-off Soviet protype that first flew in 1949 or 50, the MiG I-340:

I340_1.jpg

I can't find any western source reference for that aircraft as early as 1952, but there must have been. (Air Trail magazine in June 1953 has an article.) The I-340 never entered service, and would have been nothing but a footnote in Cold War aviation history, except that it somehow got immortalised on comic books and in model form (with two wrong designations, Yak-25 and MiG-19)!

You can read some more about these aircraft, model kits and the mystery that was Soviet aviation in the early 1950s here.

I'd say you're largely but not entirely correct. The Soviet plane on the cover of Fight Comics and at the bottom of the cover of Wings Comics 118 look like MiG 15s although the nose is off:

MiG-15-Fagot-great-planes-22258883-1200-

The Soviet plane on the top right of the cover of Wings Comics 118 and on the cover of Wings Comics 119 do indeed resemble the non-existent Soviet plane that Aurora modelled. I noticed that the Aurora kit modelled a plane that wasn't at all like a MiG 19 back in 2011 when I was photographing my own Aurora "MiG 19".

:smile:

Edited by Hepcat

AJD   
  • 4,407 posts
4 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

I'd say you're largely but not entirely correct. The Soviet plane on the cover of Fight Comics and at the bottom of the cover of Wings Comics 118 look like MiG 15s although the nose is off:

The Soviet plane on the top right of the cover of Wings Comics 118 and on the cover of Wings Comics 119 do indeed resemble the non-existent Soviet plane that Aurora modelled. I noticed that the Aurora kit modelled a plane that wasn't at all like a MiG 19 back in 2011 when I was photographing my own Aurora "MiG 19".

:smile:

Not seeing a MiG-15 on those covers Hep. Look at the cockpit placement (much further back than on the -15) and the 'stepped' fuselage, with the exhaust mid-fuselage, not at the rear, on all but the Fight.