• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Is that as a high a grade in hand as it seems in the scan?

Yes! :banana: 

And no. :sorry: There is a book length and quite substantial bend, but it doesn't break colour. (It's substantial enough that you can see a bit of a shadow in the B in Jumbo.) Doug graded it as 4.0 (which is too low IMHO, even with the bend) and I think a press would put this book at 8.0 or so.

5 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

Very nice - any idea who the cover artist is?

No idea. It isn't a Jumbo or Sheena cover from the Fiction House runs, and it looks to me like it might be a local effort. I have some Australian Sheenas with obviously 'done on the fly' covers. Here's one - note the expertly rendered lion...

large.Sheena_04_Oz.jpg.74a1a72e0f9606e66a108907f237d329.jpg

14 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Nice Jumbo Lion cover !!

i like the lighter blue cover , i have not seen that that hue before and it stands out...... !!

Thank you. It is an attractive book, and it looks nice among the generally darker covers in the run.

I think this is one of the great covers of the GA - and the first version of it on Jumbo Comics #20, May 1942, beat Wonder Woman onto a cover by two full years. No surprise that they revisited it when Sheena got her own series in 1948. My book is on the left, beside a scan from the internet of the Jumbo. I prefer the redrawn version, even if the earlier one gets the history merit badge.

Sheena_4.jpg.dc12f6fb4657b118e7ea72a691616e67.jpgJumbo_Comics_20.JPG.97bb02876c4c01ac5383c0a17d03047f.JPG

Inside you can find girl-on-girl thrills, as well as the obligatory girl-on-lion:

Sheena_4_int.JPG.0b7044b30b3f5f94b2db0c315ae9398d.JPG

And I owe the Australian comic industry of the late 1940s an apology! The cover of the Oz version of Sheena #4 (see above in this thread) wasn't a local add-on after all. Here it is, dodgy lion and all, in Sheena #4:

Sheena_4_int_2.JPG.38256586390af44939a21845c88c7b9b.JPG

3 hours ago, AJD said:

I think this is one of the great covers of the GA - and the first version of it on Jumbo Comics #20, May 1942, beat Wonder Woman onto a cover by two full years. No surprise that they revisited it when Sheena got her own series in 1948. My book is on the left, beside a scan from the internet of the Jumbo. I prefer the redrawn version, even if the earlier one gets the history merit badge.

You're right, that is a great cover. Nice copy!

It's also interesting that the redrawn cover eliminated the "Great White Hunters" battling the locals at the bottom of the page and substituted gorillas.

Wonder why? hm

Oh, and the redrawn Sheena is demonstrably better - look at that new, cute, belt accessory. Just dreamy :cloud9:

I noticed a post from @Point Five in the gold forum about Spirit sections. That reminded me that I have a few of those, so I thought I'd dig them out and share them.

Spirit_1.thumb.jpg.c1d576d3fe463ae0f0b013188158d614.jpg

Spirit_2a.thumb.jpg.b7d52c91d6b069e4949b85ddf4d13efb.jpg

Spirit_3a.thumb.jpg.cc01ce62882560e0781aff3cf25e78fc.jpg

The Miss Rhinemaiden 1950 contest winner is about to kidnapped, though the Spirit has other ideas. As it happens, the winner does not need the Spirit's help...

Spirit_3_int.jpg

28 minutes ago, AJD said:

I noticed a post from @Point Five in the gold forum about Spirit sections. That reminded me that I have a few of those, so I thought I'd dig them out and share them.

That's the Spirit!

11 hours ago, AJD said:

I don't know this @Point Five character you speak of. But I wish I did, because he's brilliant and correct! Some of these newspaper inserts would have made terrific comic covers. :)

Here's a new addition to the war bonds cover theme. (Note the billboard!)

ExcitingComics_38.thumb.jpg.5b7b46e4d97a5b40927c09d032507f8a.jpg

Here's the splash for one of the stories - with a war bonds exhortation in the bottom margin.

ExcitingComics_38_int.jpg.9146889bcbf18737bdbfd4e417bb2a67.jpg

The good folks at Nedor really wanted to make sure readers of this story got the message - here's the corresponding margin on the other five pages:

ExcitingComics_38_int2.jpg.307a1a26cdeaf7c4be0bf7cca05c0e61.jpg

ExcitingComics_38_int3.jpg.49438ceef28308c9a74a75c38d47c5d1.jpg

ExcitingComics_38_int4.jpg.b09d28fc1db4de8f17186c28b0a6a097.jpg

ExcitingComics_38_int5.jpg.b8c3ec2c60751d073913243cce245228.jpg

ExcitingComics_38_int6.jpg.1afdf122eb9107ce8addd26eb07a3115.jpg

Me likey very much!!

A simpler time to be sure - the loot is helpfully contained in an appropriately labelled bag - and why is it being waved around? The villains are all very well dressed - "Want to get ahead? Get a hat". No one will ever recognise us with these domino masks! Seriously, who ever thought they were a good idea?

Duffman. Over analysing since he gained critical faculties.

Edited by Duffman_Comics
Punctuation matters, dammit!

The aerodynamic stability of hats worn in an open convertible must be quite low I would imagine unless what we are witnessing is in fact a low-speed chase. The lack of dental care is understandable if you're getting biffed in the face every time you venture out and surely domino masks were the must have fashion accessory of the 1940's, as they are all wearing them even Kid Black Terror (?).     

Edited by Harry Lime

OK, now with a steaming pile of student essays in the rear vision mirror, I have a few things to catch up on in this journal. Let's start with this one. Long time followers will know that I'm not usually a big fan of the EC gruesome horror stuff but, for whatever reason, this cover really amuses me with its over the top grossness. There was a copy around this grade on Heritage a month ago, but it soared well past my price point. Then this one popped up here on the boards just a few days later. :takeit:

SSS_09.jpg.02563603388c5ae0250d0e9c6a35ca22.jpg

Here's the final page of the cover story. That last panel is so stupid, for the same reason the ending of Kafka's The Trial is stupid - "for I am dead".

SSS_09_int.thumb.jpg.142038c4a8281206f9dc59408aef44ca.jpg

Yes, first person narrative always fails in those situations. I'm guessing the writers think this will make a great ending, no one will see this coming!

Never read The Trial but I did love the Perkins/Welles film in the early 60's, of course it works better when you are the camera.

Picked up this beauty recently. As far as I can tell, the cover image doesn't appear on any US edition Archie comic.

Looking at the expression on his face, do you think 'Reggie' might be short for 'Registered Sex Offender'? Just a thought...

2138975917_ArchiesRivalReggie31.jpg.b8c474256ed1458cf4521c100386c5e0.jpg

Here's the UTC page - apparently chlorophyll was the molecule of the moment for a while in the 1950s, appearing in a wide range of products and health food settings. In this story Jughead decides to produce chlorophyll hair tonic, but rather than 'squeezing grass' he uses green paint. Alleged hilarity ensues.

Reggie_31_int.thumb.jpg.d8ec81214d9d9dce428fcbdd7a0c5e0e.jpg

How did they demonstrate the hilarity of green hair in B&W?

And what were they thinking, chlorophyl toothpaste!? Who would want green teeth aside from Chairman Mao?

Reminds me of the radium range of products from the 20's-30's with less lethal consequences.