• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AJD's comic notebook
7 7

1,132 posts in this topic

OK, my first purchase of 2017 to arrive was in my mailbox today. This one is Jungle Comics #11 Oz style. The cover is from US edition #134.

Jumbo17.thumb.jpg.803fa0a7798d9bab9bab3b02b13a6f4a.jpg

I've bought every Australian Jungle/Jumbo/Planet I've seen in the past two years except for one very low grade Jungle with a big chunk of the cover missing. I have 21 of them now - so an average of one book a month (give or take) comes to market. I can't afford to be too picky about condition! But I think I might even have enough for a group shot now. :idea: Watch this space.

Edited by AJD

Given that it's now 2017, I suppose it's time for... (drum roll)...

AJD’s class of ‘aught sixteen

Dell Four Color

th_four_color_1047_zps5icp9zqj.jpgth_four_color_1095_zpsbdbfvqgi.jpgth_four_color_1329_zpskee6qajs.jpgth_Twilight_Zone_1173_zpsmd3cqifz.jpgth_Twilight_Zone_2_zpsy1xjnmby.jpgth_Twilight_Zone_3_zps648f2hoi.jpg

WDC&S

th_WDCampS_009_zpsiwkrozlb.jpgth_wdcamps_012_zps3qmtxdin.jpgth_WDCampS_019_zpsovxljfhq.jpgth_wdcamps_031_zpsafsffs9x.jpgth_wdcamps_038_zpsx8vs5g3i.jpgth_WDCampS_040_zpsqwo5un1a.jpg

Are you trying to complete runs of Four Color and Walt Disney's Comics and Stories? If so, that would be a noble, but egregiously difficult, endeavour.

???

Edited by Hepcat

Absent Andrew, I'll tell lies fill in until he gets back.

AJD is attempting a WDC&S run 1-100. Its progress can be checked by referring to his sig line - which I do not do often enough as like most folk here I have sigs turned off.

As to Four Colors, the answer is no. AJD will tell you he only picks up the "ones he likes".

This is fair enough until an examination of his Want Lists reveals great swathes of "ungapped" runs. hm

He has also got some great War Bonds covers and a very nice Oz Fiction House reprint selection.

All of which he claims "fits in a short box" lol

Hope this helps.

I have to get a better intern...

Thanks Duffman, that wasn't too bad a precis. I'd modify it to say that I'm usually working on some interesting subset of the Four Colors, but decided long ago that the shipping of 1,350 (more or less) comics across the Pacific in small batches wasn't worth contemplating. I still need one of the Twilight Zone issues (#1288).

Oh, and it all fits into a cupboard with eight short boxes and a few shelves. My comics have to compete with my other hobby for space. Like Hepcat, I like collecting model kits:

Unlike Hepcat, I destroy their collectability with glue and paint:

I don't think I've ever built an Aurora kit though, which feature prominently on Hep's shelves. As a child of the Commonwealth, it was Airfix and Frog here. The occasional American kits were Revell, Monogram and Lindberg.

Incidentally, I'm thinking of taking advantage of the boards switch over to become "The Ghost Who Hops" hm

Such weighty decisions! lol

Edited by AJD

The Australia Day post about banned comics in australia got me looking around to see what I could find in the way of salacious local books. This one would probably incur the wrath of the Literature Review Board of 1954 on the grounds of "unduly emphasising sex and the female figure".

Crime_Casebook_5.thumb.jpg.e02c0eefefff7659970aee37123908f5.jpg

As far as I can tell, this is a locally drawn cover, and it's a pretty good piece of GGA to my eye. Google image search couldn't match it. Does anyone recognise it from an American comic?

In terms of content, thanks to research intern Duffman, I can tell you that "this series seems to be a lot of repackaged Hillman stories from Real Clue Crime Stories, with a local cover".

I went to the GCD to see if they have a cover scan, and was amused to see the version they have on there has a hand drawn addition. Evidently someone decided that the cover model needed a garter belt!

This is probably my last post on these boards before the Great Rapture that will take us to a new URL. See you on the other side guys! :bigsmile:

Like Hepcat, I like collecting model kits:

Unlike Hepcat, I destroy their collectability with glue and paint:

Picture%20002_zps3rhk1rhi.jpg

Different strokes for different folks! Have you ever tried to assemble one of the really large and complex ship kits such as an aircraft carrier or this frigate?

159038-10571-80-pristine.jpg

I don't think I've ever built an Aurora kit though, which feature prominently on Hep's shelves. As a child of the Commonwealth, it was Airfix and Frog here. The occasional American kits were Revell, Monogram and Lindberg.

Aurora, Revell, Monogram, Hawk, AMT, MPC and Lindberg were all commonly found lines of kits in Canada in the sixties. Airfix were also available but they weren't as common. Model kits by the big Japanese companies, Tamiya and Hasegawa, have also been widely sold in hobby shops here for decades. Frog I've never seen in Canada though.

:)

Edited by Hepcat

On 07/02/2017 at 2:27 AM, Hepcat said:

Different strokes for different folks! Have you ever tried to assemble one of the really large and complex ship kits such as an aircraft carrier or this frigate?

159038-10571-80-pristine.jpg

Aurora, Revell, Monogram, Hawk, AMT, MPC and Lindberg were all commonly found lines of kits in Canada in the sixties. Airfix were also available but they weren't as common. Model kits by the big Japanese companies, Tamiya and Hasegawa, have also been widely sold in hobby shops here for decades. Frog I've never seen in Canada though.

:)

No, never tried one of the big elaborate ship models. Maybe one day, because they are very appealing. I have built a couple of the very small Airfix classic ships. From memory the Golden Hind was one of them.

OK, time for my first "new comic" update on the new boards. This one is a little out of the usual for me, because it's the first romance comic I've ever bought. It was on eBay last week and I really liked the cover image. (Sorry to confuse you Corey! lol )

True_Love_2.thumb.jpg.ce5195d6fe2c5b657f5f0d0ec816b361.jpg

I can't find a similar image on an American comic, so possibly a new locally drawn one? It's very nice anyway.

The stories are reprinted from Atlas/Marvel romance comics from the 1950s. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. The stories are classic romance comic fare: either "girl despairs about ever getting boy, unexpected event happens, girl gets boy" or "girl has boy, does something ethically bankrupt to a rival and loses boy". But the art work is really nice. Look at the use of negative space in this lovely panel:

True_Love_2_panel.jpg.0209063c653fa40d5decbbcff839e20d.jpg

Another couple of examples. I really like the use of close up (middle panel of the first page below) and pulled back "shots" to highlight different emotional states in "I Love You, Mr. Smith", art by Vince Colletta (from My Own Romance #49). The isolation of the figure on the armchair, with no panel border or any other detail from the room is very effective. Some excellent graphic story telling here! One of those 'yeah, I really like comics' moments.

True_Love_2_coletta1.jpg

True_Love_2_coletta2.jpg

Edited by AJD

As you all know, I am a dedicated romance title collector. lol

My collection of such titles doubled this week with this addition. Love the cover - clearly Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn as models. Which makes me think that the True Love above might also be modelled on real people - maybe Marilyn Monroe and ... ? (all suggestions welcome).

Real_Love_80001.thumb.jpg.42187fba9ba1108ff404743f70b36b02.jpg

And here's the 'beneath the covers' shot. (Sideboob alert!)

Real_Love_8_splash.thumb.jpg.f1936f3cff4328f9f059460a06060db7.jpg

Well, OK, I don't think it's really sideboob, though the B&W reproduction makes it look a bit like it. As you can see in the following panels, she's wearing some kind of top/dress, which would be obvious in the colour version. The black dots on her 'skin' are probably meant to indicate the stitches in said garment. We can dream though...  The story is from Diary Confessions #9 if anyone has one to scan that page.

On 3/5/2017 at 4:13 AM, AJD said:

As you all know, I am a dedicated romance title collector. lol

And here's the 'beneath the covers' shot. (Sideboob alert!)

Well, OK, I don't think it's really sideboob, though the B&W reproduction makes it look a bit like it.... The story is from Diary Confessions #9 if anyone has one to scan that page.

I'm looking forward to the scans of your Dairy Confessions comics with proper side boob shots.

;)

Time for another trip to the bookshelf. This is newly published, and is a great way to appreciate the swords and sandals artwork that fill a fair chunk of the New Direction EC title. Some great stuff in here - as you'd expect with Williamson, Wood, Orland, Kreigstein....

ValorHC.thumb.jpg.5b7374199974d0bccb56ed9021704735.jpg

I went to the LCS looking for some comics to read. I never buy floppies any more because they are such poor value for money (and most of them are compost anyway). But this hardcover collection caught my eye. I like the Brubaker work I've read, and the artwork in this is great. I'm only a chapter in so far and, as expected, it's gritty crime noir stuff.

FadeOut.thumb.jpg.42e59ad697db079bf05a291dc9699c4f.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, I finally succumbed to the reviews and bought a copy of Persepolis. I've heard all sorts of good things, but I couldn't get past the fairly crude artwork. I'm very glad I finally decided to give it a shot. This is a beautiful piece of literature. Marjane Satrapi does a masterful job of showing the human cost of events like the Iranian revolution of 1979. From a distance it's easy to generalise and make sweeping observations, but she shows what it's like to live it. In the process she presents herself as sometimes proud, sometimes brave, often flawed and often weak individual - in short, a human being. If you haven't read the book, give it a try.

persepolis.thumb.jpg.c8da701232a83b2c4cd43e14bfba7295.jpg

And the artwork really works with the story. Sometimes simple is enough.

persepolis.gif