• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shopify

10 posts in this topic

its too expensive.

Like, I'm not going to pay that much money to set up an online store when you can manually set up the same kind of payment system through paypal and a typical domain.

I've looked into a lot of different alternates to ebay and it always comes back to ebay. It sucks but thats the 21st century.

The only good alternative is Lonestar's Mycomicshop IMO.

Edited by Jimmy Linguiniii

Too expensive? Seems to be the cheap method of doing a domain yourself without vast knowledge of shopping carts, security, etc...

Doing a wordpress website costs $20 a year with a domain and than you do paypal shopping carts.

I honestly think two good alternatives to what shopify offers are

1. Mycomicshop

and

2. Buying a domain and having it link to your ebay account

Wordpress is great if you have 10 different items to sell and don't care about security. This is a good read if you are trying to decide between the two.

MCS seems to be an option for hot books/keys. Everything else is filled with inventory of their own and consignment.

Wordpress is great if you have 10 different items to sell and don't care about security. This is a good read if you are trying to decide between the two.

MCS seems to be an option for hot books/keys. Everything else is filled with inventory of their own and consignment.

Yeah you say security but I don't really think there's an issue with security considering all you could lose in a wordpress site would be the actual site being hacked and changed, whereas all of your personal sales information is still through paypal so its secure.

If you save your source code and the information you put on that website there wouldn't really be that big of an issue to restore the site.

And the 10 items thing isn't true, it just takes more work to put a wordpress site together which is what you get for the price.

When you say MCS do you mean just selling to them or their auction service?

Consignment. Auctions only work for hot books IMO.

This is all just my opinion from my own research- make your own decisions :) (thumbs u

Edited by Jimmy Linguiniii

Look at Volusion. We run two sites on Volusion. Here is my publishing site with products for sale:

http://www.cantonstreetpress.com/

This is the cheapest of Voluion's store options, which is based mostly on the number of products. Volusion has limitations, but all these solutions do. Our much larger store was run on Coresense, but that is a more expensive service. Before selling our business, we looked into moving from Coresense to Shopify. We never actually built a store with Shopify though.