• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,929 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Did anyone else notice the passing resemblance between the alien pictured on the 1964 issue of Cosmic Engineers and the alien Gorn from one episode in the Star Trek TV series?

gorn_1.jpg

Lol, you’re right. And here I thought I was deep in the nerd weeds.  Sleestaks too. 

6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Lol, you’re right. And here I thought I was deep in the nerd weeds.  Sleestaks too. 

Had not heard of sleestaks before, with some mighty odd soulful eyes. Might as well throw in the Creature from the Black Lagoon as well, though his lipstick is a dead giveaway that he's no alien.

creature_black_lagoon.jpg

7 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Onto a couple of books that I just acquired at Dreamhaven books yesterday.

Not quite sure what to make of Ninth Avenue, the cover blurb speaks for itself.

image.jpeg.98a3cfa3f379d7382948c7579763dc7f.jpeg

Next up is my first JD book.

image.jpeg.ef364238e3f6a850cf5871d084d9d850.jpeg

Sweet pick ups. In case you're really asking... Ninth Avenue 'was' a main thoroughfare of Hell's Kitchen in the West 40's of Manhattan, home of cheap flats, gin joints, streetwalkers and thugs like "The Westies" gang in the 20th century.

Now sterilized through the 1000 ft + towers of the Hudson Yards projects' innumerable multi-million $ condos and neighboring spawn, i'd venture to guess that less than 10% of its inhabitants were born in New York.

Edited by Surfing Alien

20 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Sweet pick ups. In case you're really asking... Ninth Avenue 'was' a main thoroughfare of Hell's Kitchen in the West 40's of Manhattan, home of cheap flats, gin joints, streetwalkers and thugs like "The Westies" gang in the 20th century.

Now sterilized through the 1000 ft + towers of the Hudson Yards projects' innumerable multi-million $ condos and neighboring spawn, i'd venture to guess that less than 10% of its inhabitants were born in New York.

Thanks for the info. I have never read much about New York, nor been there.  I have at least heard the term Hell's Kitchen. (thumbsu

On 10/25/2020 at 9:30 AM, frozentundraguy said:

Had not heard of sleestaks before, with some mighty odd soulful eyes. Might as well throw in the Creature from the Black Lagoon as well, though his lipstick is a dead giveaway that he's no alien.

creature_black_lagoon.jpg

Just going back a little through this thread and realized that i'm not sure who knows that the 1st PB Digest of this story by Vargo Statten is one of the great rarities of the entire hobby...

Creature from the Black Lagoon by Vargo Statten

Edited by Surfing Alien
correction

5 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Just going back a little through this thread and not sure who knows that the 1st PB Digest of this story by Vargo Statten is one of the great rarities of the entire hobby...

image.png.3b681cb8a09cd8550d0e8baa57cec17b.png

image.png

image.png

A quick check on the Abe book site shows an original copy by Fearn is listed for $4,500.