• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Found a couple of these cheap at my local bookstore today.  I am completely torn if these fit better under pulps or under paperbacks, so I'm posting in each place:

New Magnet Library 1258.jpg

Or under the dime novel thread (if we had one!). The people who collect these refer to them as “thick books” and they can be found pretty cheap relative to their age. (I had a few listed in a past sales thread with no takers). The lithographed covers on most of them are really cool!

11 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Or under the dime novel thread (if we had one!). The people who collect these refer to them as “thick books” and they can be found pretty cheap relative to their age. (I had a few listed in a past sales thread with no takers). The lithographed covers on most of them are really cool!

The two I got today were $3.99 each.  I've never seen these in person before, although I do have a couple issues of New Nick Carter Weekly I should scan and post some day.

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

I saw some nice ones fairly cheap but thought "you can't go down another rabbit hole Alice !"

Very cool look  And i'm sure i'll end up with at least one some day just to see what it is 

48 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I saw some nice ones fairly cheap but thought "you can't go down another rabbit hole Alice !"

Very cool look  And i'm sure i'll end up with at least one some day just to see what it is 

The rule I try to use... and frequently fail with, but it helps sometimes... is to allow myself "type samples" of certain things.  Two of these will be plenty; unlike any number of rabbit holes I've let myself fall down.

2 minutes ago, damonwad said:

559712474_PeacockFeatherMurdersx(front).thumb.JPG.2a1d6282e2ac13280e89bfe8976e1427.JPG

Oh no! He's coming for all the high-grade Pocket Books now!! :nyah:

You do seem as much motivated by what's between the covers, so at least there's that. I'm admittedly in it more for the graphics. Pockets get a little overshadowed by the competition, I believe, but there's something so old, so visually appealing about them to me. 

38 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

Pockets get a little overshadowed by the competition, I believe, but there's something so old, so visually appealing about them to me. 

Even though the Pocket "frames" show less artwork, I'm still a fan of the style. Changing the frame colors to compliment each book works well. 

Much better than that grey bar on the left side of the book they used in later years.