• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,929 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

And Kelly Freas' cover for Man of Many Minds by E. Everett Evans (1959) is just  :cloud9:

Great variety in that post :headbang:

My favorite Freas PB cover by far :cloud9:

Lovely Maguires as always. I assume you are salting Ray Johnson covers like Pop 642 into your posts to see if i'm awake lol:whistle:

2 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Great variety in that post :headbang:

My favorite Freas PB cover by far :cloud9:

Lovely Maguires as always. I assume you are salting Ray Johnson covers like Pop 642 into your posts to see if i'm awake lol:whistle:

I was a little curious to see if you'd call that out.  Very nice.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

The holidays were slower for me as far as acquiring more books, but I did add these two recently.

First up is City of No Return, a 1954 novel by Tubb, From what I see on Abe, Ebay and Amazon this book is pretty tough to locate.

image.jpeg.97b09cd0f5b95ffb7e9660128b13a025.jpeg

Next up is The Manatee. This is the first Pyramid Books printing from October 1950. One wonders when looking at the cover how this book could have possibly sold only 250,000 copies.

image.jpeg.1d0d85d47ea821a3dbcfe36adedd951b.jpeg

Those cover quotes usually referred to how many copies were sold in hardcover before the pb release. That said... this is one of those rare occasions where the mass market pb might tamer than the hardcover :whatthe: (not mine) You never see that much skin on a USA hardcover!

il_794xN.2061238205_7l2z.jpg.d10230b968abcf6e0b1c4b6e5b630350.jpg

40 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

What an awesome set of books, SA!!  Do I like nurses?  Sure.  Who doesn't??  It's not weird.  xD

Thanks... and lol... not at all... It's just ever since you said it could be a collecting focus I always think of you when they come up. You could fill a room with all the scandalous Nurse and Doctor pb's and digests :luhv: 

45 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Oh yeah, lots and lots of drama in the hospital setting!  And... I'm still buying them.  :blush:

I normally wouldn't post books before I have them in hand but I'm so excited about these gems I can't resist.  Some here will know that I have a huge interest in all vintage illustration art.  Leyendecker on SEP, Men's Adventure mags, Various early 50s digests, etc. are a few of my recent pursuits.  On the fringes of these is another group of magazines that I've been aware of but only over the last year have I been really looking for these.  And they are tough!  You often find them in poor to good condition, covers detached, etc.  Extremely difficult to find in higher grades (better than VG).  

Here, I submit for your viewing pleasure, 4 examples of Detective magazines from the early 50s.  All have cover art by George Gross (one of my all time favorites).  Only one that I had seen before, the other 3 were new to me.  And they're all on their way to me.  :acclaim:

409027570_BestTrueFactDetective_1950.thumb.jpg.9c17fdba5d86529e6469317165c09ea9.jpg

57414677_SpecialDetective_1951.thumb.jpg.13defba25e6d0ce157873c5218bb5eed.jpg

2018969663_BestTrueFactDetective_1951.thumb.jpg.743d1a1c1c14dc0994b39ff5b8115dea.jpg

1372502854_TrueCasesofWomeninCrime_1952.thumb.jpg.8bb40bd60ba46fae8c56ef81e7714651.jpg

I'm guessing both SA and Pat are familiar and would love to see anymore of these if anyone else has them.

They're awesome... definitely have always  seemed linked to the Ecstasy and Exotic Monthly Novels with  those Nappi and Gross covers. :headbang:

@Hepcat I have at least one of those in high grade.  If you want to lose a few hours, you should check out the Men's Adventure mags thread in the magazine forum.  @lbcolefan has posted his stunning collection of incredibly high grade examples of all the big boy books.  Ironically, he started that thread because we were discussing them here!  (thumbsu