Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
10 10

1,541 posts in this topic

39,821 posts

I really want to track down those stories mentioned above and give them a read.

2,032 posts
1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Hub takes some heat for Scientology that I think gets in the way of his literary reputation. His portrayal of the future USA as an unsavory technocracy, keeping the rest of the world subjugated by military might - in Final Blackout, a 1939 novel - seems courageous to me, and the writing is effective enough. And I'm a huge fan of 'Typewriter in the Sky', a light but lush fantasy of a man who finds himself living in the pages of a pulp novel as it's being written. The sword fight scene on the pirate ship with the typewriter clacking in the sky is an all time fave.

img5050.JPG

I absolutely agree that Scientology completely obscures his literary reputation, Pat.  While I stand by my description of him as "a competent hack with some good stories", I think that's actually significantly better than the average for pulp writers of that era.  Typewriter in the sky is a genuine classic, for example; and being a competent hack was actually the exception back then.  He's quite readable; and while I won't seek out books because of him I generally do read his stuff when I get a magazine which happens to have his work.

Maybe I should go ahead and actually read "The Ghoul", since I have the magazine handy anyway...

335 posts
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Hub takes some heat for Scientology that I think gets in the way of his literary reputation. His portrayal of the future USA as an unsavory technocracy, keeping the rest of the world subjugated by military might - in Final Blackout, a 1939 novel - seems courageous to me, and the writing is effective enough. And I'm a huge fan of 'Typewriter in the Sky', a light but lush fantasy of a man who finds himself living in the pages of a pulp novel as it's being written. The sword fight scene on the pirate ship with the typewriter clacking in the sky is an all time fave.

img5050.JPG

I'd like to read that... in the meantime... Wow... what great cover art

Edited by Surfing Alien
change

4,234 posts
18 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

img5050.JPG

Interesting concept with man living in pages of the story. I have a few books by Hubbard but have only read Battlefield Earth. This was quite a few years ago but I found it to be quite good. I cant say the same for the movie though.

335 posts
2 hours ago, moonpool said:

Berkleys: Maguire covers and large appliances

berker.jpg

Great design elements on those 2!

335 posts
5 minutes ago, moonpool said:

My Ace 1.  Really nice shape with no creases on spine. $30 way back when.

d1.jpg

d1a.jpg

Sweet copy. I think I have a reader copy somewhere but i've never been in the right time/price situation to get a nice one. 

39,821 posts

Pat C.I LOVE the cover on that Mad Hatter Mystery book above.

39,821 posts

Thank you fine sir.

It makes me think of a few different comic covers,but it's great in its own unique way.Very pleasing to the 'eyes' :shy: (hyuck!)