• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,929 posts in this topic

The most I've paid for a paperback in 30 years is $350,  so it's been a cost effective hobby.  Most American paperbacks can be found, especially the bigger publishers.  There are exceptions of course (Dell crosswords 1 and 2), but most can be had eventually in some condition.   The British, Australian, and to some extent Canadian are a lot harder to find in any shape. 

On 12/2/2019 at 11:50 PM, PopKulture said:

They're space wasters, but I'm hooked. I figure 50 or so boxes take up the space of nearly 1000 comics, so you really have to be a devotee. I also collect space-wasting pop bottles and other junque, so space is always at a premium, and display space even more so.  ??? 

I collect local pop and half-pint and quarter-pint milk bottles as well!

:)

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

I think the most I've ever paid for a Paperback was $100, earlier this year.  And while I don't think it's the most valuable or hardest to find any more, I would say it's the paperback most famous for being hard to find and valuable...

(My apologies for showing this again if you're bored with it, it's one of those books I'm so amazed I have I have to show it off periodically.  That need will diminish (but not disappear) with a little more time.)

Love that!  If you don't repost it, how can we learn what's good?

Man, this stuff is addictive.  I pulled the trigger on a couple more items.  I'll save those for later, but they give me pride of ownership...maybe that's what I should be looking for.

11 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

That's an incredible copy if it's yours. I've never had a nice one. I'm pretty sure that one was a pulp cover also, as many of the Popular Library mystery's were.

Yeah, I got lucky on that one. I'm mostly content with gently-used copies, but some books just "pop" in better condition, especially those deep backgrounds. 

All this talk about paperbacks has me excited to dig through my mostly-buried Avon boxes. I love the later pulpy books, but I also find those books numbered in the 50 to 100-ish range visually undeniable. 

Edited by PopKulture

That Agatha Christie book is amazing! Having looked at a bunch of pictures of different books over the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed most covers show murder in the form of a dead body. Fewer still show the murder victim about to be grabbed or murdered. That one actually shows the murder in progress Do we have a term for these kind of books? Should I trade mark “MIP” cover? (Murder in progress) :)

15 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

That Agatha Christie book is amazing! Having looked at a bunch of pictures of different books over the last couple of weeks I’ve noticed most covers show murder in the form of a dead body. Fewer still show the murder victim about to be grabbed or murdered. That one actually shows the murder in progress Do we have a term for these kind of books? Should I trade mark “MIP” cover? (Murder in progress) :)

I'm down for MIP. Errr... at least the term.

There's a slew Popular Library books that show a woman being strangled, and, if I recall correctly, she has the same sway-back on most of the covers. That would make an interesting sub-set...  hm

Edited by PopKulture

On 12/2/2019 at 11:50 PM, PopKulture said:

They're space wasters, but I'm hooked. I figure 50 or so boxes take up the space of nearly 1000 comics, so you really have to be a devotee. I also collect space-wasting pop bottles and other junque, so space is always at a premium, and display space even more so.  ??? 

I get you.  In addition to comics, I collect wine.  I had to build a temperature controlled addition to my house to store my 1800 bottles. (It's the tower on the right.)

IMG_0394.jpeg

1 hour ago, n2wdw said:

I get you.  In addition to comics, I collect wine.  I had to build a temperature controlled addition to my house to store my 1800 bottles. (It's the tower on the right.)

That tower rocks!! But you did lose a nice spot for your hot tub it looks like... 

Now where did I put my bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafite?

9 hours ago, n2wdw said:

Very easy to get addicted to good wine.  I had a bunch of clients introduce me to various bottles of excellent grape juice.  Pretty soon you find yourself chasing around the country for the last available bottle of single vineyard Malbec...

On 12/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Very easy to get addicted to good wine.  I had a bunch of clients introduce me to various bottles of excellent grape juice.  Pretty soon you find yourself chasing around the country for the last available bottle of single vineyard Malbec...

Yep.  That's my life.  And I go through phases of spending money on comics, and then on wine.  I actually find wine easier to flip.  I don't have the emotional attachment as much to wine as my comics (and pulps, toys, etc).