• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

..... back in the early 90's this book was very difficult to find.... I found my first copy at a small shop in a small town while on a delivery run at work. These McFarlane Spideys got me back into collecting after a short hiatus. I definitely appreciate the book. I even have a copy of my own.... but it's raw. Personally, I find newsstand and direct copies to both be readily available, but never followed which would be less common. For me, I prefer direct, as I find the barcode distracts from the visual appeal..... so I would prefer a direct copy 2c GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't remember the first copy I bought, or how, but I DO remember the first copy I SAW...it was at Clay's Comics in Hayward, CA, in the spring of 1990. He had gotten in a full run of ASM McFarlane, and priced it at OPG...they were gorgeous copies...and this was before Update #12, where the books went bazonkers.

So, the ASM #301-305 were priced at $2.70, the #306-315 at $2.20, and so on...

But the ASM #298, 299, and #300 were priced at $8.80, $5.60, and $7.50 respectively, which was their price in the 1990 OPG (someone can spot check me; if they'd like.)

So, I passed on those three, thinking I could find them cheaper elsewhere. Hey, I had just really started to get into comics, and I wasn't really aware.

And a few weeks later, Update #12 came out, and #298 and #300 were $30, #299, 301-305 were $15, and so on.

:cry:

But...I DID buy #301-328.

:cloud9:

zzz

How about we get off the merry-go-round and get back on topic before this thread also gets shut down.

How about we don't tell other people how they can appreciate ASM #300, and don't run to the mods because someone says something that doesn't agree with us, so the thread isn't shut down? It's perfectly possible to have a discussion, even disagreement, without feeling the need to involve the mods. You DO know that's almost always why threads get locked, right?

Surely, we're all adults here, are we not?

These posts ARE on topic: ASM 300 Appreciation.

Or, does how you appreciate rule, and how others appreciate suck?

meh

Debatable. ;)

As for the jagged/non-jagged, I agree that the non-jagged should be preferred. CGC has deemed (correctly so) that it's a production issue, so they don't downgrade for it so we haven't seen any price difference(s). I think there should be a slight premium associated, but the market doesn't.

People pay PQ premiums (sometimes good premiums). Something, IMO based on my experiences, that many collectors wouldn't be able to notice any discernable difference on were the books raw. Heck, CGC can't even maintain consistency on it. But, for something you can clearly see (the jagged edge), they don't.

Collectors are a strange lot.

It's an interesting case, the jagged edge ASM #300. To answer the post above, it seems like the jagged/non-jagged books are about equal, at least in my experience, and I've handled maybe 200-300 since 1990?

It's not the only book with this edge that was made in the late 80's (Action Comics Weeklies have the issue, too) but it's far and away the only key to have it.

It was so ubiquitous, everyone just assumed that it was normal, and though I noted it in my head at the time, I don't think I ever saw it openly spoken of until the CGC era.

As always, everyone should buy what they like, and be fully persuaded in their own mind. I have no preference either way, but that could be because I come from an era which accepted it as a given without question, and didn't consider it a problem worth mentioning.

Ok, cool to know that both "straight" and "jagged" edges occurred in about the same rate as far as we know. When looking for my copy, I personally passed on all jagged edged copies until I purchased a high grade example with razor sharp edges and a beautifully centered/aligned cover.

Similarly, "Marvel Chipping" was a common production defect on early Silver Age books, and I know many collectors who will pass on "chipped" copies and pay a premium for non-chipped issues due to the nicer eye appeal.

..... back in the early 90's this book was very difficult to find.... I found my first copy at a small shop in a small town while on a delivery run at work. These McFarlane Spideys got me back into collecting after a short hiatus. I definitely appreciate the book. I even have a copy of my own.... but it's raw. Personally, I find newsstand and direct copies to both be readily available, but never followed which would be less common. For me, I prefer direct, as I find the barcode distracts from the visual appeal..... so I would prefer a direct copy 2c GOD BLESS...

I don't remember the first copy I bought, or how, but I DO remember the first copy I SAW...it was at Clay's Comics in Hayward, CA, in the spring of 1990. He had gotten in a full run of ASM McFarlane, and priced it at OPG...they were gorgeous copies...and this was before Update #12, where the books went bazonkers.

So, the ASM #301-305 were priced at $2.70, the #306-315 at $2.20, and so on...

But the ASM #298, 299, and #300 were priced at $8.80, $5.60, and $7.50 respectively, which was their price in the 1990 OPG (someone can spot check me; if they'd like.)

So, I passed on those three, thinking I could find them cheaper elsewhere. Hey, I had just really started to get into comics, and I wasn't really aware.

And a few weeks later, Update #12 came out, and #298 and #300 were $30, #299, 301-305 were $15, and so on.

:cry:

But...I DID buy #301-328.

:cloud9:

...... I'm mainly a GA, AA, and SA collector...... but oddly enough, some of my favorite comics are from the CA and early MA. I had grown bored with comics and pretty much quit until I saw the polybag McSpidey # 1 on the rack at the 7-11..... I was mesmerized by the Ditkoesque eyelets on Spidey's mask and bought one.... and was subsequently hooked on comics again. I proceeded to Bender's (long time LCS) shortly after to see what had been going on while I was gone. There, low and behold, were many of the Mcfarlane ASM's on The Wall at 20 to 40 bucks a pop :o .... and only a few years old. You have to remember, 40 bucks back then could still get you NM copies of almost any Marvel SA book after 1966...... and those McFarlane covers were SO cool and I wanted them SO bad...... and then I noticed the 298. It was one of the ASM's that I had put back on the rack a few years earlier because I thought it was sloppy and cartoonish..... so I had inadvertently bailed right before all this happened :boo: ..... and in just a few short years my tastes had changed and I now LOVED this "sloppiness". The 300 I picked up at the roadside LCS was maybe a 9.0..... and it was 40 bucks..... I had to borrow the money from my boss at the time (R.I.P. Bill :foryou: ) ...so you can say this book holds a special place for me...... in fact I just snagged, for my personal collection, copies of the regular, gold, and silver versions of McSpidey # 1 for a real good deal on the boards. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

Very cool story! Glad you shared it. I remember taking a break from comics for a long time (I started collecting in the late seventies) and coming back when McFarlane was the craze. Took me a while to get used to all the new companies and gimmicks that were introduced. I picked up a McFarlane Spidey #1 and took another break for about 10 years :blush:

...... in fact I just snagged, for my personal collection, copies of the regular, gold, and silver versions of McSpidey # 1 for a real good deal on the boards. GOD BLESS...

Well, better late than never:)

What I like about direct editions are those little artwork that Mcfarlane did inside the UPC box. You don't get to see those in the regular newstand edition.

Edited by Peshka

...... in fact I just snagged, for my personal collection, copies of the regular, gold, and silver versions of McSpidey # 1 for a real good deal on the boards. GOD BLESS...

Well, better late than never:)

What I like about direct editions are those little artwork that Mcfarlane did inside the UPC box. You don't get to see those in the regular newstand edition.

I agree, I tend to lean towards the Direct editions but I very simply love any 300. My foreign 300 set grew this christmas holiday by 3 books. Recently acquired the Finnish, Dutch and French copies.

300_foreignset.jpg

My 2 OO copies are finally back from CGC.

t8ow9t.jpg

29xdz83.jpg

Beautiful Non-jagged edge copies.. both in 9.8 ^^

Non-jagged edge vs Jagged edge - Wouldn't this be a more important criteria to consider rather than whether or not it's a Direct or Newstand (shrug)

I've never minded the jagged edge copies, personally. They add character to the book.

Wow, it looks like Jordy has a perfect batting average in terms of scoring 2 9.8's on his 2 OO submissions. (thumbs u

Hope he brought a Powerball ticket for himself last week since the luck seems to be going his way, with as you would term it, 2 accidents of preservation on his 2 submissions. lol

t8ow9t.jpg

29xdz83.jpg

Beautiful Non-jagged edge copies.. both in 9.8 ^^

Non-jagged edge vs Jagged edge - Wouldn't this be a more important criteria to consider rather than whether or not it's a Direct or Newstand (shrug)

I've never minded the jagged edge copies, personally. They add character to the book.

Wow, it looks like Jordy has a perfect batting average in terms of scoring 2 9.8's on his 2 OO submissions. (thumbs u

Hope he brought a Powerball ticket for himself last week since the luck seems to be going his way, with as you would term it, 2 accidents of preservation on his 2 submissions. lol

Is there a reason for the passive/aggressive comment?

9.8s, prior to the advent of CGC, are accidents of preservation. That doesn't mean they're difficult to find, or that it takes "luck" to get them. I've gotten thousands of 9.8s, and so have others.

I'm not sure you understand what "accident of preservation" means.

t8ow9t.jpg

29xdz83.jpg

9.8s, prior to the advent of CGC, are accidents of preservation. That doesn't mean they're difficult to find, or that it takes "luck" to get them. I've gotten thousands of 9.8s, and so have others.

No, didn't meant to be passive/aggressive with you at all, as I find your viewpoints to actually be very enlightening. (thumbs u

Just feel that accidents of preservation is too simplified of a term and probably not the best or most accurate way of describing how to get UHG OO books. I feel it's more a case of having the following:

1) Luck of availability;

2) Skill in cherry picking;

3) Intent on preservation; and

4) Luck with grading

If you miss out on any of these four factors, you most probably won't end up with a UHG book off the shelf by the time it's all said and done. hm

t8ow9t.jpg

29xdz83.jpg

No, didn't meant to be passive/aggressive with you at all, as I find your viewpoints to actually be very enlightening. (thumbs u

Just feel that accidents of preservation is too simplified of a term and probably not the best or most accurate way of describing how to get UHG OO books. I feel it's more a case of having the following:

1) Luck of availability;

2) Skill in cherry picking;

3) Intent on preservation; and

4) Luck with grading

If you miss out on any of these four factors, you most probably won't end up with a UHG book off the shelf by the time it's all said and done. hm

Ok.

Aside from #4, which isn't really a thing when it comes to books that are solid 9.8s, you're describing accidents of preservation. I daresay that 99.9% of comics buyers in February of 1988 (when this book came out) did not have both the ability and willingness to cherrypick what-would-become 9.8s.

That's not saying that there weren't...there were, and I joined those ranks in 1990...but those people were very, very, very few.

Mostly, the luck involved was in 1. picking a "nice looking copy" off the shelf/stand, and 2. properly maintaining those books in the intervening decades, especially if you paid cover price for them brand new.

In other words...they are accidents of preservation. Happy accidents...but accidents, nonetheless.

As far as Jordy's book...you only know his (I assume Jordy is a "he") submission of these two books. You don't know (because he doesn't tell us), how many of his similar books got 9.8, or if he subbed them at all, or if he even had other books to sub. You don't know how he picked them, or how he preserved them. You can't really make any conclusions from "My 2 OO copies are back from CGC" except that he had two copies that he bought when new, and they both graded 9.8.

hm

They could very easily have been mishandled in some slight way that would have permanently removed any hope of being a 9.8 from the books forever. All it would take is a little rub on the back cover, or a little color breaking ding in a corner, or any of a number of things.

I've lost maybe hundreds of potential 9.8s because of damage in intervening years, and I both cherrypicked the finest copies available and made a dedicated effort to preserve them for the past 26 years.

How much less so for those who weren't as fastidious (read: anal) as me?

9.8s prior to 2000 are, indeed, accidents of preservation.

I'm actually kind of surprised this book has maintained value.

Venom as a character has been lacking in popularity, hasn't he?

I'm still a big fan of the early stuff, but not the non-Brock stuff.

Am I way off base here? Or do people still love them some Venom?

.... only my opinion, but the continued popularity of the book could be due to more than just 1st Venom. It's got a decent cover, it's an anniversary ish, it's a McFarlane book from a famous run, and very nice copies can still be had for less than 500..... which is the glass ceiling for 98% of collectors. It also gets the ASM bump. GOD BLESS...

.... only my opinion, but the continued popularity of the book could be due to more than just 1st Venom. It's got a decent cover, it's an anniversary ish, it's a McFarlane book from a famous run, and very nice copies can still be had for less than 500..... which is the glass ceiling for 98% of collectors. It also gets the ASM bump. GOD BLESS...

+1

-J.

+1

-J.

...you agreed with me :o ...... what have you done with the REAL Jaydawg ? ..... seriously though..... people want keys..... and for an artist as wildly popular as McFarlane, this may be his only true key.... which I find puzzling. GOD BLESS...

All great points. And, don't forget, the return of the red & blue costume!