• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Appreciation/ Club Thread
12 12

1,166 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

I'm waiting on 2 copies to come back from CGC, Already have a 9.8 and 9.4. People are hitting BINs on ebay for 9.6's 

I think the reason why is because 9.6's have the best value for the buck.  Currently, 9.8's are selling for around $2300 give or take, 9.6's for around $750+, 9.4's for $500, 9.2's $400 and so forth..  It seems that 9.6's are undervalued compared to how much a 9.8 sells for.  If a 9.8 sells for around $2300, shouldn't a 9.6 sell for at least $1200? Not only that, but the grade difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 is so minuscule that a grader can grade a 9.8 book a 9.6 or vise versa.

Edited by Dark Knight

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I think the reason why is because 9.6's have the best value for the buck.  Currently, 9.8's are selling for around $2300 give or take, 9.6's for around $750+, 9.4's for $500, 9.2's $400 and so forth..  It seems that 9.6's are undervalued compared to how much a 9.8 sells for.  If a 9.8 sells for around $2300, shouldn't a 9.6 sell for at least $1200? Not only that, but the grade difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 is so minuscule that a grader can grade a 9.8 book a 9.6 or vise versa.

Agree about the difference between 9.8 and 9.6 being miniscule, and usually not worth the big jump in value common between 9.8s and 9.6s.

However, regarding ASM300, there are almost 3x as many 9.6s as there are 9.8s. For comparison, another popular CA key like NM98 has only about 30% more 9.6s than 9.8s. So basically a 9.8 ASM300 is significantly "scarcer" for being a major CA key, which may be a factor as to why ASM300 9.8s are almost 3X the price of the 9.6s while NM98 9.8s are only about 2x the price of the 9.6s.

ASM300, it's a tough cover to get in 9.8.

35 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Agree about the difference between 9.8 and 9.6 being miniscule, and usually not worth the big jump in value common between 9.8s and 9.6s.

However, regarding ASM300, there are almost 3x as many 9.6s as there are 9.8s. For comparison, another popular CA key like NM98 has only about 30% more 9.6s than 9.8s. So basically a 9.8 ASM300 is significantly "scarcer" for being a major CA key, which may be a factor as to why ASM300 9.8s are almost 3X the price of the 9.6s while NM98 9.8s are only about 2x the price of the 9.6s.

Good point. I like to use the census to help determine value. However, I just noticed this disclaimer on the CGC website regarding the census. Look like they revamped the census Search function.

Screenshot (1140).png

20 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Currently, 9.8's are selling for around $2300 give or take...

Noticed this also.  Sales of these are seeing an uptick lately.  It might have to do with the possible Venom trailer about to drop (but that's only speculating).

25 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Noticed this also.  Sales of these are seeing an uptick lately.  It might have to do with the possible Venom trailer about to drop (but that's only speculating).

The book also has a birthday coming up... 30 years old.  This hobby has a history of "graduating" its true keys with an uptick in pricing at age 30.

Edited by valiantman

15 hours ago, jcjames said:
22 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Good point made, I did not look into the census before I made my statement, but good to know.  With any black cover comic book, getting into the uber uber high grade 9.8 and up is tough! I guess it makes sense why 9.8's sell for so much.  I remember the days not too long ago when 9.8's could be had for under a grand.  My friend actually was on the verge in buying a 9.8 copy that time for $900, but backed out.  Boy he regretted that so much and is kicking himself to this date.

2 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

There is a teaser trailer and I enjoyed it.  Can't wait to see more.  Before Spidey 3 when we first saw Venom, I really thought that WWE wrestler/MMA fighter Brock Lesnar would have been perfect for the role because of his height, built, look, etc.  I guess that will never happen :cry::cry:

7 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

There's some controversy about how that female actress said the word "symbiote" lol.. kinda silly 

The word "symbiotic" derives from that word.  Her pronunciation is technically accurate.  She also has an accent.  

-J.

41 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I agree and it's the way I've been saying it but my friends seem to think othetwise.

Here is the article he sent me

https://screenrant.com/venom-movie-symbiote-pronunciation/

I think it's technically a correct pronunciation, it's just far from the most popular/prevalent one.  It's a simple thing, but it's jarring and eye rolling enough to give me pause and pull me out of the trailer.

19 hours ago, ExNihilo said:
19 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I agree and it's the way I've been saying it but my friends seem to think othetwise.

Here is the article he sent me

https://screenrant.com/venom-movie-symbiote-pronunciation/

I think it's technically a correct pronunciation, it's just far from the most popular/prevalent one.  It's a simple thing, but it's jarring and eye rolling enough to give me pause and pull me out of the trailer.

The last time I was sick, my doctor gave me ann-tee-bee-yah-ticks. :kidaround: