• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What makes an A–Level PREACHER page?
2 2

413 posts in this topic

Dillon on Preacher is a lot like Gibbons on Watchmen, from an OA collection standpoint: Most collectors want pages from their one particular title and ignore the rest of their body of work.

Hmmm...I think Dillon's run on Punisher has interest to QA collectors.

I hear what you're saying about Punisher, but again I think that's because of the writer. I'd compare it to Gibbons pages from Superman Annual 11.

I could be wrong.... what's demand like for Dillon artwork from any of the non-Ennis Punisher stories he's drawn?

It's the complete package between the writing and the artwork. Some argue the same of Frank Miller's artwork originally back in the 1980's where it was seen as film noir by many, yet a muddy mess by others, so without the stories to support the artwork, it may not be as valued and sought after as it is today. It's like lyrics and music to a song, they work in synchronicity.

I think the speculators market for Preacher pages is pretty strong since it stands alone well as it is without the media hype of Hollywood backing by AMC for a show which may or may not become a reality and even them, may or may not meet critical acclaim by fans nor popular ratings by general audiences. It's still a series that seems highly respected by comic fans.

It's similar to what I heard Mike Mignola say one time in a Q&A session. Someone posed a question about Hellboy and asked how he felt the movie(s) changed his comic book work. He said to paraphrase, the books exist and existed the same way as they were when released, and the movie(s) don't change that at all, so if you enjoy the books, read the books and you can continue to enjoy 'em. So, in that same way, nothing that Preacher does or doesn't do via Hollywood can change in a detrimental way, the legacy which has already been built

Mister NSN...value aside, which one would you pick if they were presented side-by-side and you had no other examples?

No other PREACHER pages in my collection (shrug) I'm not sure I understand the question :make point:

My first OA purchase was a PREACHER page and it's been downhill ever since.

As for a side by side comparison of the last two title pages that have been auctioned? The issue 10 page is the better of the two, in my opinion, for the reasons I stated above. I should have went stronger on the page, but backed off at the last minute. I'll be interested to see this surface on CAF.

Mister NSN...value aside, which one would you pick if they were presented side-by-side and you had no other examples?

No other PREACHER pages in my collection (shrug) I'm not sure I understand the question :make point:

As for a side by side comparison of the last two title pages that have been auctioned? The issue 10 page is the better of the two, in my opinion, for the reasons I stated above. I should have went stronger on the page, but backed off at the last minute. I'll be interested to see this surface on CAF.

It's a hypothetical question. doh! IF you had no PREACHER examples, and you were given a choice of these two, which would you pick? I'm not asking which one you think is "better" necessarily, but which one would you rather have?

If you still pick the second page, you are going to be in a tiny minority (of one:P).

As it is, even with all the pages you have, which one motivated you to bid higher?

It's a hypothetical question. doh! IF you had no PREACHER examples, and you were given a choice of these two, which would you pick? I'm not asking which one you think is "better" necessarily, but which one would you rather have?

If you picked the second page, you are going to be in a tiny minority (of one:P). Anyway, I think your bids on each page reveal your heart's true desire.

For me, the second page is the better of the two :sumo:

I like the "art" of it. The tone and mood of the page is more appealing to me than the humor of the other page.

My CAF is a testament (when I have everything active) to the fact that I don't mind being the only fan of certain artists or series :hi:

My bids are more an indicator of available funds at the time than my hearts desire :cry:

And that was before "the announcement"

I can't even imagine what will happen to pages if the show is a hit. Unlike WD, there's no new pages coming out and the existing ones are already scarce. I would think that has got to spell monstrous prices for the OA.

There are several complete issues still intact, as far as I know. Besides the treasure trove Mr. Not-So-Nice has.

I only know of 2 complete issues (outside of my collection). I asked about these a few years back. Since I haven't seen any pages from them I am going to assume they are still complete. :golfclap:

This PREACHER 45 Page 4 closing at over $1000 certainly surprised me :o

I didn't think the reserve would be met. I have no grasp on this market or YTLM as of late.

I didn't think the reserve was going to be met, either.

When I saw the price drop from $700+ to $600 I really didn't think it was going to pop.

I sure hope one bid retraction per auction is not going to be the new trend :boo: