• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
38 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

that is very uncharacteristic of CC archives ...  hm

We smell a rat . . .

Well, if somebody had brought abook off you for $395K and then requested that they didn't want the image up there anymore for shall we say privacy or security reasons, I imagine it might be hard for any auction house to say No to the purchaser.  (shrug)

Anyways, it's really all mere speculation on my part since it might not even be this copy that had sold back in 2017.  That copy was the Hope Collection copy which was auctioned off on March 20th of 2017.  Looks like this copy that was auctioned off for $598K the other week was graded back on May 3rd of 2017.  Sounds like a pretty fast turnaround time, but I imagine quite possible if they had paid for it immediately and then walked it through in terms of grading plus any other optimizing work that might have been done in between.  (shrug)

Looks like the same book to me. So what if the book was simply under-graded at the time it was a 9.0 and now graded correctly without say a press, then what? It seems to pop up all the time that just because a book was previously graded lower and now it's back but in a higher grade that automatically we assume it's been pressed in general not always. We've seen books graded harshly and loosely so without actually knowing if the book was pressed, can't automatically assume that it did. 

Judging from the scans, it definitely looks better than a 9.0.

1 hour ago, Tbone911t said:

Torpedo comics just posted this. Just back from grading. $$$$$

FB_IMG_1561681178203.jpg

Pretty book. A little off center but I could live with it. :takeit:

You mean, a new book and not a resub? :cool:

10 hours ago, peewee22 said:

You mean, a new book and not a resub? :cool:

John has a new collection in. All of the books are fresh to market.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

That's effin nuts! It's insane what collections dealers pull in, and I'm sure that 1 book already made up for considerably more than he paid.

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You or someone said awhile back there's no telling how many AF15s are out there buried in collections.

Here's one. :cool:

It's an insane collection, I dunno how many total books probably around 3,000 or more spanning every genre it seems.  The OO went to high school in the same high school I went to and he was born in the same area I'm living in today.  I may have to pick up some of his books in SDCC.

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

It's an insane collection, I dunno how many total books probably around 3,000 or more spanning every genre it seems.  The OO went to high school in the same high school I went to and he was born in the same area I'm living in today.  I may have to pick up some of his books in SDCC.

I hope he's ok knowing he just sold a roughly million dollar book. Can only hope he didn't get murdered on whatever the collection was purchased for.

13 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:
5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I hope he's ok knowing he just sold a roughly million dollar book. Can only hope he didn't get murdered on whatever the collection was purchased for.

Probably, but I believe his widow may have sold all the books.  Dunno how much she knows about comics, but I really hope she did get a fair price, probably not the price the actual collection is worth.  Maybe she was happy with what she got.

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Probably, but I believe his widow may have sold all the books.  Dunno how much she knows about comics, but I really hope she did get a fair price, probably not the price the actual collection is worth.  Maybe she was happy with what she got.

Oh wow, so it was his widow. Jeese, I hope she got a fair amount!!! Considering what they're about to make. Well I'm sure she got a lot of money.

8 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

That's effin nuts! It's insane what collections dealers pull in, and I'm sure that 1 book already made up for considerably more than he paid.

Do you have any idea how the transaction happened or are you just wildly speculating?

6 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Do you have any idea how the transaction happened or are you just wildly speculating?

I’m wildly speculating. Very possible they paid a ridiculous amount over a million or in the millions. Only they would know that.