• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

Just a slight correction here.

The Lasry Hulk 1 was the CGC 7.5 graded copy and was auctioned off on Tuesday as part of the Lasry Collection which took place on the first 2 days prior to the regular CC Event Auction.  Looks like the slew of 6 other Hulk 1's took place 2 days later on Thursday:

My bad. I had simply assumed that the Lasry copy was the 8.5 but yes, that is why the 7.5 went early.

The best decision i ever made long and short term was to acquire these 3 7.0.  I'm not going think to much about the recent spike.  The market will play itself out.  Part of my permanent collection

Edited by Spiderturtle

49 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I noticed the new sales prices for the most part havent shown up on GPA yet. How long on average does it take for those to appear?

Many were on Comiclink and they don't report their sales to GPA, which sucks.

Anyone know why CL doesn't report their sales to GPA?

Something I've noticed lately is we spend more time analyzing data and prices than we do enjoying the hobby. Take time out and look at the books posted in the threads esp by newbies. I've noticed when books are posted, many people overlook that and are anxious to get back to the posts that involve pricing. That's all good, but keep this in mind and what we really are here for. I make it a point to look at any recent books posted when  I enter a thread. Just my 2c

Alright, peewee22, here's a flashback from 2010 that's worth a revisit as I've been out of the hobby for a little bit now. (And it sure says something about how much even the cellar-dweller CGC .5s have increased in the last 6-7 years.)

I cannot contain my excitement... 

In late October, I received a call from a comic book buddy who gets his new books from the same LCS I do in Buford, GA--basically north Atlanta (actually, it's an hour trek to this place since the LCS in our town closed down a couple years ago). He said that Kyle, the owner of Galactic Quest, had an AF #15 CGC 0.5 blue label for sale. I hung up with my buddy and immediately phoned Kyle. Yes, he did have one but it wasn't on display...but he had showed it to a couple of folks and there was some interest. He wanted 1,000 bucks for it. The cover was detached. There was water damage. There was Marvel chipping. When I asked of the PQ, he said it was decent but obviously wasn't familiar with the designation on the label (I didn't ask). 

In owning his store for 20 years, only two AF #15s have walked through his door. One, a few years back, he passed on because the seller wanted too much (it was low grade too). And this one recently came in, and he bought it. He read it with his daughters and then sent it down to Sarasota, FL for CGC certification. He was hoping for a 1.0 but it came back 0.5. 

So I set up a meeting the following week, on Nov. 2, to see the book. I thought a deal breaker would be: brittle or tan pages; major soiling, major writing, major tape, etc. Considering it's a 0.5, picky, picky--I know, I know. lol Once I saw it, I realized it had CRM/OW pages. The eye appeal sealed the deal for me. Yes, the Marvel chipping is MAJOR. Yes, the cover is detached. Yes, it's the lowest grade CGC offers out of their 10-point scale consisting of 25 units, but...

I've always regretted selling the only other copy of AF #15 that I've ever owned. I've told the story before but it was a pence copy and a kid had traced Spider-Man on the front cover with a blue ball-point pen so it was probably a 0.5, maybe a 1.0. Whatever it was, I sold it for about $150 back in 1992 when I was 25. cry.gif I always regretted selling it. 

But fast-forward 18 years, and this 43-year-old has just (re-) joined the AF #15 club. 2862happydance-thumb.gif yay2.gif headbang.gif Many thanks to my beloved wife, Amy, who tolerated the purchase and took the sweet pics which you see here. cloud9.gif

Edit: And thanks to rsortor here on the boards who bought my ASM #129--or else I wouldn't have had the funds for this AF #15. Take a bow, Ronnie. \(worship\)

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

1 hour ago, cloudofwit said:

Alright, peewee22, here's a flashback from 2010 that's worth a revisit as I've been out of the hobby for a little bit now. (And it sure says something about how much even the cellar-dweller CGC .5s have increased in the last 6-7 years.)

I cannot contain my excitement... 

In late October, I received a call from a comic book buddy who gets his new books from the same LCS I do in Buford, GA--basically north Atlanta (actually, it's an hour trek to this place since the LCS in our town closed down a couple years ago). He said that Kyle, the owner of Galactic Quest, had an AF #15 CGC 0.5 blue label for sale. I hung up with my buddy and immediately phoned Kyle. Yes, he did have one but it wasn't on display...but he had showed it to a couple of folks and there was some interest. He wanted 1,000 bucks for it. The cover was detached. There was water damage. There was Marvel chipping. When I asked of the PQ, he said it was decent but obviously wasn't familiar with the designation on the label (I didn't ask). 

In owning his store for 20 years, only two AF #15s have walked through his door. One, a few years back, he passed on because the seller wanted too much (it was low grade too). And this one recently came in, and he bought it. He read it with his daughters and then sent it down to Sarasota, FL for CGC certification. He was hoping for a 1.0 but it came back 0.5. 

So I set up a meeting the following week, on Nov. 2, to see the book. I thought a deal breaker would be: brittle or tan pages; major soiling, major writing, major tape, etc. Considering it's a 0.5, picky, picky--I know, I know. lol Once I saw it, I realized it had CRM/OW pages. The eye appeal sealed the deal for me. Yes, the Marvel chipping is MAJOR. Yes, the cover is detached. Yes, it's the lowest grade CGC offers out of their 10-point scale consisting of 25 units, but...

I've always regretted selling the only other copy of AF #15 that I've ever owned. I've told the story before but it was a pence copy and a kid had traced Spider-Man on the front cover with a blue ball-point pen so it was probably a 0.5, maybe a 1.0. Whatever it was, I sold it for about $150 back in 1992 when I was 25. cry.gif I always regretted selling it. 

But fast-forward 18 years, and this 43-year-old has just (re-) joined the AF #15 club. 2862happydance-thumb.gif yay2.gif headbang.gif Many thanks to my beloved wife, Amy, who tolerated the purchase and took the sweet pics which you see here. cloud9.gif

Edit: And thanks to rsortor here on the boards who bought my ASM #129--or else I wouldn't have had the funds for this AF #15. Take a bow, Ronnie. \(worship\)

AF15.jpg

AF15BC.jpg

Great story....congrats....enjoy your book!! 1000$ well spent look at the CGC 0.5 on ComicLink right now in their auction section it is at 3333$ with 6 days left. Forget the issues you own a AF15!!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1172372&id=1172372

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

10 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Great story....congrats....enjoy your book!!

The first AF15 I ever purchased was in 1986 for 75 bucks. Was in Little Rock, Ark at a local comic store hanging on the wall. Had my name on it. Beat up to death but I loved it. Your 0.5 looks like a 9.0 compared to that beater. I sold it for 100 bucks (I think) when I got a 4.0 from Robert D. Cresthol (probably a 2.0 at best in today's grading world...Cresthol was a Canadian dealer I think). Wonder who has that thing now but I bet they love it. Hard to even imagine that copy is worth 500 dollars plus.

Congrats.

1 hour ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Great story....congrats....enjoy your book!! 1000$ well spent look at the CGC 0.5 on ComicLink right now in their auction section it is at 3333$ with 6 days left. Forget the issues you own a AF15!!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1172372&id=1172372

There is also one AF15 CGC NG with no cover at all in ComicLink's auction the bids are up to 1600$....so yes you did well on your 0.5!!

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1163744&id=1163744

18 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

The first AF15 I ever purchased was in 1986 for 75 bucks. Was in Little Rock, Ark at a local comic store hanging on the wall. Had my name on it. Beat up to death but I loved it. Your 0.5 looks like a 9.0 compared to that beater. I sold it for 100 bucks (I think) when I got a 4.0 from Robert D. Cresthol (probably a 2.0 at best in today's grading world...Cresthol was a Canadian dealer I think). Wonder who has that thing now but I bet they love it. Hard to even imagine that copy is worth 500 dollars plus.

Congrats.

Bobby is still kicking around in Montreal.

4 hours ago, Spiderphill said:

Had dreams of 4.0/4.5 without chipping but seems I'll be stuck with ol girl for good now. 

IMG_2573.PNG

I remember this one.  I wish I had it back.  You definitely got the best of that trade by far!!!!  Luckily a raw copy that was in the wild fell into my lap and graded out at 4.0 so I'm not too depressed.

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Something I've noticed lately is we spend more time analyzing data and prices than we do enjoying the hobby. Take time out and look at the books posted in the threads esp by newbies. I've noticed when books are posted, many people overlook that and are anxious to get back to the posts that involve pricing. That's all good, but keep this in mind and what we really are here for. I make it a point to look at any recent books posted when  I enter a thread. Just my 2c

So true, brother.  The enjoyment of this awesome hobbie is in the books. Of course value matters, but balancing that with the art and stories that make it matter in the first place is the key. 

1 hour ago, bringsenseback said:

So true, brother.  The enjoyment of this awesome hobbie is in the books. Of course value matters, but balancing that with the art and stories that make it matter in the first place is the key. 

Like anything else you can like multiple things about the same thing....or just one it's your choice....no right way to enjoy your hobby!!

5 hours ago, peewee22 said:

I agree 100% peewee... I also see its not "many people" overlooking the books added to the club, rather a "few" that bombard this thread with price(s) and price analyst. which, IMO (as well) is taking the joy out of looking at this thread.