• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

Ended 32k, Marvel Chipping is the jump off it seems. 32k still seems good for this book, but a lot less full throttle than other copies. Maybe a slow down in prices coming, or this just isnt the type of book setting land speed records?

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1186693&id=1186693

8 hours ago, dem1138 said:

The "other" 2.5 ended strong at $14,251.  No chipping but not a pretty copy, a strong price. Consistent with highest CGC 2.5 GPA sale of $14,340 not too long ago. 

I remember a time when a Gd+ AF 15 was going for 3k in 2011 and a 5.0 shy of 10k.. Book is solid as gold like a Action 1 

9 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Ended 32k, Marvel Chipping is the jump off it seems. 32k still seems good for this book, but a lot less full throttle than other copies. Maybe a slow down in prices coming, or this just isnt the type of book setting land speed records?

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fsearch.asp%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2Bfantasy%2B15%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1186693&id=1186693

Book has been on hiatus for a yr or so on lower grades to mid grades up until this early spring where prices started to move again. Especially when Comicconnect had a few mid grade copies that looked beautul how they presented. This is when they started to be appreciated more for the eye appeal instead of the grades now,garnering stronger prices then ever before. 

2 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

Book has been on hiatus for a yr or so on lower grades to mid grades up until this early spring where prices started to move again.

Really? It's my perception that the book had been steadily climbing in lower grades for the past two years.

2 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

Especially when Comicconnect had a few mid grade copies that looked beautul how they presented. This is when they started to be appreciated more for the eye appeal instead of the grades now,garnering stronger prices then ever before. 

Comics have always been appreciated for their eye appeal but Marvel chipping alone doesn't cause a 5.0 to sell for $25K less than the record $57K sale a few months ago.

The CC copies that went for record prices were either certainly upgradeable or certainly speculated to be upgradeable (I know at least 2 of the 3 were).

That's why they went for record prices IMO.

54 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Really? It's my perception that the book had been steadily climbing in lower grades for the past two years.

Comics have always been appreciated for their eye appeal but Marvel chipping alone doesn't cause a 5.0 to sell for $25K less than the record $57K sale a few months ago.

The CC copies that went for record prices were either certainly upgradeable or certainly speculated to be upgradeable (I know at least 2 of the 3 were).

It seems like ComicConnect gets better auction prices. Six month no interest loan perhaps?

Read a great quote today, talking about the bubbles in cryptocurrencies and certain cult stocks.  But, I think it applies to AF #15s as well.  Here it is, paraphrased:

One definition of a bubble I have always used is that people are making money all of proportion to their intelligence or work ethic. That certainly feels true in the case of the AF #15 market.  You make 50% in six months by buying the biggest, dumbest, most obvious comic book out there. Too easy.  I have a hunch it will all be over soon. Just a hunch.

15 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Read a great quote today, talking about the bubbles in cryptocurrencies and certain cult stocks.  But, I think it applies to AF #15s as well.  Here it is, paraphrased:

One definition of a bubble I have always used is that people are making money all of proportion to their intelligence or work ethic. That certainly feels true in the case of the AF #15 market.  You make 50% in six months by buying the biggest, dumbest, most obvious comic book out there. Too easy.  I have a hunch it will all be over soon. Just a hunch.

Everyone seems to forget that you have to have a huge wad of cash too!

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I thought everyone was saying heavy chipped were 30 percent or  so less than non chipped copies hm

19 minutes ago, piper said:
1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

It seems like ComicConnect gets better auction prices. Six month no interest loan perhaps?

For AF #15 or for other books as well?

Comiclink seemed to get strong prices too.

Any time you offer a book that looks good for the grade (or is upgradeable) you can generally assume it's going to go for strong money.

2 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

I thought everyone was saying heavy chipped were 30 percent or  so less than non chipped copies hm

You'd need more than two data points to corroborate that.

Just become one exceptional copy sold for $57K and one average copy sold for $32K doesn't mean that automatically there is a 40% price difference between non-chipped and chipped copies (not sure if that's what you're implying).

Personally, I think the conversation regarding chipped copies has also become very focused because it has become very investor-related as well. While some people cared about chipping not everyone did (or to my perception nearly as many people as do now).

24 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You'd need more than two data points to corroborate that.

Just become one exceptional copy sold for $57K and one average copy sold for $32K doesn't mean that automatically there is a 40% price difference between non-chipped and chipped copies (not sure if that's what you're implying).

Personally, I think the conversation regarding chipped copies has also become very focused because it has become very investor-related as well. While some people cared about chipping not everyone did (or to my perception nearly as many people as do now).

Gator sold a nice non chipped copy for strong strong price, in the 50k range i believe.  1 cc copy at $57k, 1 cl in the $50k plus range, 3rd data point from gator, non auction house.  All strong, all non mc

Edited by Spiderturtle

I think its fair to say marvel chipping is the biggest single grading factor now on mid/high grade books. Books with chips don't do as well in same grade by a wide margin (again though, 32k for a chipped up 5.0 in a normal world is still a great price).

We have seen some repeated evidence of no chipping copies selling well, GPA still isnt showing some of the sales from months ago it seems but we are all aware of them. 

Its almost like two completely different markets exist for the exact same books in the same numeric grade, with and without chipping/major eyesore defects. I think no matter what happens to these prices, there is enough evidence that CGC should take chipping as a much greater factor grade wise on mid grade books.

14 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

there is enough evidence that CGC should take chipping as a much greater factor grade wise on mid grade books.

If you're saying that CGC should adjust their grading standards based on market prices, I completely disagree.