• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,480 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

I repeat: consider the possibility that the AF15 in question was purchased using a time payment.

One of the last things anyone wants is for GPA data to become corrupted with 'sales' data for sales that never closed.

I thought bob said the book in question was in his hands and is a confirmed legit sale, so i thought that meant the sale completed?

4 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I thought bob said the book in question was in his hands and is a confirmed legit sale, so i thought that meant the sale completed?

He posted that information 21 hours ago.  It's a bit much to expect GPA sales data to become updated with great rapidity.

Of course, you can always e-mail Vincent and ask him about the reporting history of the comic.

Edited by namisgr

It is in my hands.  Book has been paid for.  "We,  me/owner" have no idea why Metro didn't report the sale.  

I have had the book longer then 24 hours.  It was originally posted at least a week ago.  Was pulled down for a couple of days and then put back up.

Edited by blazingbob

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Assuming that dealers have databases that can generate extracts of sales which I am guessing many don't they would not be calling me.

Also some of you assume that some of the biggest dealers are tracking their sales.  You would be surprised at how many don't.   

It would take me less then 5 mins to put together a daily/weekly or monthly extract of CGC sales.

But as Roy stated in a earlier post I am NOT in business to make you money (You is not you Chris).

I am not sure if people see that dealers need to buy copies of books that they are selling.  If you are raising the sale price of the book you are also raising your cost.  And with more and more "weekend warriors" needing to squeeze every dollar out of a book that job gets harder every day.  Add on top the expense of finding those books and I ask myself why am I helping my competitors price their inventory on my hard work.   Because I'm a nice guy?  This is business and I run it like a business.

And some of you think that "But bob,  if you report your sales you can get more on the next copy".  Not when the GPA buyer mentality is that I don't want to set a GPA record,  I want a GPA discount.  I call that the Slow bowl pricing flush.   Watch the GPA price slowly swirl lower.  Eventually they want you to buy at Retail and sell at Wholesale.  How do I know this?  Years of conversations with buyers using 12 month average,  90 day average,  last sale.  Anything to get the "Look what I just got this for Convention stroll".  

All this comes from the years of the Dealer/collector battle.  You see it all the time.  Did I get over on him?  Did he get over on me?  What,  I got screwed?  Yeah man,  I'm going to sell this on ebay for $500 and I paid $25,  high fives for everyone.   

It seems to me that it's not difficult to see what you sell Bob.You do advertise it. I only have to go to your recent sales section and I can find ballpark figures for hot books. Clearly it relies on honesty in those listings but there it is.  Your sucess helps draw people wanting to sell books through you. The recommendations I got to sell through you were excellent.

Someone here knew very quickly that you had sold a 7.0 for around 130K? Was that a private discovery or someone who knew you, or was it the buyer?

As to GPA, the implication has been that  a bazillion book sales would have to be tracked. It seems to me that in other threads that people have been disappointed to see no movement on books they own from last year, so, those aren't the books I'm talking about. How about the top 50 or top 25 movers. I suspect they make up the bulk of regular sales for people buying and selling comics. Would that be impossible to track do you think?

Now it may be as you say that if book prices shoot up, it makes it harder to buy books economically. I don't disagree but you can't simply price in a vacuum.  I just find it hard enough that Overstreet is so far off on top sellers but for GPA to be so far off is equally if not more disconcerting. I don't think GPA is off on most of their sales, just things like AF15. Maybe it's true that it's a hopeless cause to seek market value and that's part of the game. The trick here is to buy up all available stock before anyone else sees you doing it. 

5 minutes ago, namisgr said:

He posted that information 21 hours ago.  It's a bit much to expect GPA sales data to become updated with great rapidity.

Of course, you can always e-mail Vincent and ask him about the reporting history of the comic.

4 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

It is in my hands.  Book has been paid for.  "We,  me/owner" have no idea why Metro didn't report the sale.  

I have had the book longer then 24 hours.  It was originally posted at least a week ago.  Was pulled down for a couple of days and then put back up.

That's My point, I'm not trying to S-post or call out GPA as bad, but it feels like a lot of AF15 sales are missing when they shouldn't be, so i'm just surprised and it makes me concerned what else could I be missing. GPA isn't my only tool of course to gauge when buying but it is a very useful one. I was just showing a little concern about potentially issues with data points missing when there is no clear reason why they shouldn't be. I'm a paying customer, this is the "buying AF15" thread so I feel its completely legit to point out a concern is all.

The beauty of a database is the amount of information that can be queried.  If GPA was truly "interactive" I'm sure the top 50 or top 25 books could be easily "reported".

It may already be there for all I know.  Most people are using it for pricing,  I'm not sure how many are using it to see overall sales trends.

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

That's My point, I'm not trying to S-post or call out GPA as bad, but it feels like a lot of AF15 sales are missing when they shouldn't be, so i'm just surprised and it makes me concerned what else could I be missing. GPA isn't my only tool of course to gauge when buying but it is a very useful one. I was just showing a little concern about potentially issues with data points missing when there is no clear reason why they shouldn't be. I'm a paying customer, this is the "buying AF15" thread so I feel its completely legit to point out a concern is all.

Then as Roy has pointed out you should be addressing your issue with Metro and not GPA.  If GPA is not "screen scraping" the data correctly then as a subscriber you would have a legit complaint.

9 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Why are you not concerned that GPA only reports CGC books and not all "Graded" books?  it is GRADED Priced Analysis,  not CGC grading Analysis.  Imagine how all hell would break out if you could see the sales price comparison between the grading companies.  Hard to argue who is getting more money for books when it is in black and white versus selective selection.  

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Why are you not concerned that GPA only reports CGC books and not all "Graded" books?  it is GRADED Priced Analysis,  not CGC grading Analysis.  Imagine how all hell would break out if you could see the sales price comparison between the grading companies.  Hard to argue who is getting more money for books when it is in black and white versus selective selection.  

Hmm, good point. I really only buy CGC not the other 2 but overall i sorta considered Voldy just 5% under CGC sales wise so i just figured you can get a gauge by that. Do you find that to be case also?

45 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

so some  random middle of the road CC sales from a few weeks ago are already showing up...but game changing historic sale of the biggest book in the hobby (ALSO by CC) from 6 months still cant find its way to GPA? And the book is already in Bob's hands so the sale it seems went through. I just dont get it, what the hold up/thought is. It makes me feel uneasy im not gonna lie.

Not "middle of the road CC sales".

But fully paid for ... not time payments ... so the time payment theory *may be correct.

1 minute ago, jabats said:

Not "middle of the road CC sales".

But fully paid for ... not time payments ... so the time payment theory *may be correct.

Haha, fair enough. Soon as i wrote that I thought "man, i hope that didnt sound dismissive". My bad.

21 hours ago, blazingbob said:
21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Bob;

Any truth to the rumours that you now have this 5.0 copy of AF 15 that sold back in March through CC and now have it on your site for sale? ???

Just trying to confirm that the $57K 5.0 sale was actually successfully completed and if so, should then have definitely been included in the GPA reporting stats.  (thumbsu

And yes the 5.0 that sold for $57K is now up for sale on my website.  Was a real sale,  real buyer and a real book.

Bob;

Greatly appreciate your positive confirmation here.  (thumbsu

Now I understand completely why Metro didn't bother to include their 5.0 sale on GPA. 

Once they found out that the book was in your hands, they simply didn't want to go on record that they only managed to get a meagre $57K for the book when another dealer like you will be able to get so much more for the buyer.  It's a case of they simply didn't want you to one upmanship them.  lol

17 hours ago, namisgr said:
19 hours ago, zhamlau said:

But they  reported later sales from CC I believe. Not having the MAJOR BIG DEAL 57k sale listed on their site when they have it seems put in later sales is infact, to me ,head scratching. Like, it was a huge public deal, why the 6 month delay in reporting it?

Maybe ComicConnect waited for the comic to be paid for in full.

That was my initial thinking of the situation at first also, but then another boardie sent me a PM stating that the book had been paid for in full. 

He also stated that both of the other 2 big sales in that same auction, namely the record breaking CGC 3.0 sales of 'Tec 29 and 'Tec 54 for $66K and $54,010 respectively, were also paid for in full and yet both of these were reported in GPA pretty well immediately.

So, who really knows why except for CC and GPA.  (shrug)

Is zhamlau saying that the AF 15 5.0 sale for $57K is now finally in GPA from his statement above?  ???

2 minutes ago, jabats said:

Same book same grade different case label... I'd take the 15%-25% discount all day long

Yes that is definitely an advantage when it is the same grade.  Unfortunately as a grading company you really don't want your books to be constantly considered overgraded.  That is a very had reputation to shake.

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Yes that is definitely an advantage when it is the same grade.  Unfortunately as a grading company you really don't want your books to be constantly considered overgraded.  That is a very had reputation to shake.

+1

The market has generally decided that the two companies are not like for like when it comes to grading so a noticeable discount is routinely baked in to Voldy slabs.  

-J.