• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

I think everytime supply exceeds demand, it's counter productive and I also think that was pointed out in a previous post.

When we see a new price spike and my book was part of it, we suddenly see a rush to cash in at the feed trough. It happens in the stock market every day and at the end of the week of profit taking.  We don't deal in a day to day, but in an auction environment where the week is really a lot longer.  You just can't flood a market with anything and expect the price to just go up. The world doesn't work that way. If you dumped a bazillion gallons of gasoline on the market after some disaster, supply calms demand and the price drops.  AF 15 is far from dead but there are going to be people who get to buy in a demand dip and they'll make up for it later.... as long as the demand exceeds the perceived supply, and that's the curiosity of a book that isn't rare but has great sex appeal.  More people want it than have it. 

The lesson is simple. Don't put 20 AF15's on the market at the same time without expecting to be disappointed in the sales price. 

6 minutes ago, Glassman10 said:

I think everytime supply exceeds demand, it's counter productive and I also think that was pointed out in a previous post.

The lesson is simple. Don't put 20 AF15's on the market at the same time without expecting to be disappointed in the sales price. 

Another possible lesson may be that with so many current owners of the comic willing to sell their copies, there's not a lot of sentiment among them that the value will continue to increase even more in the short-term.

I'm just giving you a friendly ribbing SC22. 

If a bunch of people wanna cash out at the same time not much an auction house can do to keep it of the market.  Right? Or am I wrong?  

If I gotta an AF15 and see $ signs and an auction house says no, just gonna move on to next sales platform 

Whether it's an auction or a straight sale (where sale prices are visible to all potential bidders / buyers), when two books with equivalent values and asking prices are offered, is there any advantage to being the first to close, or the second?

When the first one closes, there's usually (but not necessarily) one less buyer competing for the second book.  But there's also potentially more (perceived) scarcity and urgency for buyers to be aggressive on the second book.  I wonder if anyone has noticed a pattern when this kind of situation comes up.

14 hours ago, blazingbob said:

There is a difference between 14 copies being up for sale on a consignment site versus 14 copies being up for auction. 

It is the same as seeing 14 copies for sale at a convention.

I sense a difference in that not everyone attends conferences, even if they are in the market for the piece. I would assume that the book is also posted elsewhere. For me, the big difference in Consigning vs auction is that the owner of the book remains in control of the book asking price. At auction, you cast your fate to the wind unless you have a high reserve which I don't see much. What I keep seeing is auction prices that are quite different than consignment prices, yet the consignment books sell  at a good pace such that auctioning seems to be rather risky. High grade books are actually rare when compared to the total offering out there. 

Bob sold mine in 55 days which seemed fast to me given the price we set but neither of us  was  in any hurry. There were no estates to liquidate or desperate immediate needs.  It does seem to me that the dealer can take advantage of the two differing markets if they have the capital to buy an undervalued book and to then resell it in a different crowd. But that takes cash. I continue to expect that the price of the book will continue its meteoric rise in the hands of the right dealer.  I would be very surprised to see a 5.0 go for $115,000.00, shocked actually.  It may get there in the future but right now, that money in Mastercard would do you a lot more good. It's up 25% since February and shows no signs of abatement. . 

16 hours ago, namisgr said:

ComicLink currently has 14 unrestored copies for sale on the exchange.

You know though, on paper yeah there are a lot of copies being "offered" on CL, but when you really look at here and ebay it tells a very different story.

On Comiclink: There are indeed 14 copies for sale unrestored

• 11 of them have significant MC's (which its clear are the least desirable yet the only ones people want to unload).
  • 3 Remaining are a an 8.0 for 275k, a 5.0 for 115k , and a 4.5 for 45k. Each of these is significantly over previous sale prices.  An 8.5 sold earlier this year for 177k which likely is about what an 8.0 would go for now in average for grade condition. A 5.0 without Marvel Chipping should sell around 45-50k with good PQ and no other major defects, basically less then 1/2 of the asking price. A 4.5 without MC's and good PQ should sell around 30k ,which is STILL higher then any copy recorded in grade on GPA but still well below the current for sale price.
  • Of the three copies without MC's (where the battle is waging) , 2 of the 3 are mid to lower PQ for the grade further pushing the sale price potentially down.
  • Some books are repeats of whats on other sites.

On Ebay:  There are 24 copies for sale unrestored at this time

• 16 have significant significant MC's (again, last to sell and whats not as desirable)
  • Every single copy being offered is between 25% to 150% over last known sale in grade. Additionally most of the MC which don't command the premium of no MC are being offered for well over the record prices paid for clean copies.

On ComicConnect: 7 Copies for sale unrestored

• 5 Copies have significant MC's
  • Every single copy being offered is between 25% to 150% over last known sale in grade. Additionally most of the MC which don't command the premium of no MC are being offered for well over the record prices paid for clean copies.

On Heritage: No copies for sale restored or otherwise.

When you really look at whats out there, its really not a whole lot. Lot of desirable books coming up for auction but non actually for sale right now for anything even remotely close to market price. If a book is in the range of market, its already been sold or pulled for an auction. What is being offered for sale are not the clean desirable copies but lessers folks are trying to unload for well over market, to get themselves into the MC's free decent PQ copies.