• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

To clear this up for posterity as someone who is now aware of what the askings were for the 5.5 and the 6.5 - the 5.5 in Chicago was at current market 2017 pricing (well, current for post last CC sales); the 6.5 was below market for 2017 pricing (and closer to pricing prior to last CC sales) but was not priced at 2016 pricing.  

As further evidence of the trickle down effect, it was also notable to see the AF #15 CGC 3.0 sell for 16K on CL last night.  That 3.0 was aggressively priced, by a national dealer who attends most major shows, prior to the last CC sales and wound up selling for a fair amount above what the last asking was before it was consigned to CL (which was right after the last CC sales).  Putting CC sales aside, 16K for a 3.0 is a big number.  You could get a just as nice (ow pages or better, no mc) 4.0 for that number not that long ago.

a cgc 3.5 with minimal mc sold for 16K last week...and a 4.0 with no mc sold for 20K too

just sharing a few non auction sales..

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

Just curious about that 9.6 that sold privately for 1.1 mil. It was talked shortly there after that due to 2 more 9.6s joining the census, that it would be a catastrophic loss should the owner ever try to sell. Well how about now? In this current surge in price across the board? Does it reach the 9.6 book(s)?

I think the difference in the 9.6's initially was that the 1.1 eric Roberts copy sale, was originally graded 9.6...the other 2, I believe, were former 9.4 copies, so maybe there was a little "stigma" attached... I believe Scott L of Colorado comics bought one of the newly slabbed 9.6's at a significant discount (at the time) to the 1.1 sale (I was told this by a pretty reputable source, but not by Scott, so take this information as heresay only, I've never verified with the purchaser)...that's what might have fostered folks to believe the initial 9.6 purchaser would have taken a hit (who knows), due to dilution of having 1 of 1, to 1 of 3..... we will really only know, if one of the 3 copies? comes up for sale, I suspect

Edited by G.A.tor

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Like, can someone give me the name of a dealer selling an AF 15 4.0 unrestored for 17k?  Thats the 2016 pricing, if these CC and CL and HA sales are outliers or copies that can be upgraded, shouldn't I be able to find a 4.0 today for that price? Or at least under 20k with average PQ and Chipping?

I certainly can't... and I've been @^$#ing looking

Edited by ProcessedMeatMan

3 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I think the difference in the 9.6's initially was that the 1.1 eric Roberts copy sale, was originally graded 9.6...the other 2, I believe, were former 9.4 copies, so maybe there was a little "stigma" attached... I believe Scott L of Colorado comics bought one of the newly slabbed 9.6's at a significant discount (at the time) to the 1.1 sale (I was told this by a pretty reputable source, but not by Scott, so take this information as heresay only, I've never verified with the purchaser)...that's what might have fostered folks to believe the initial 9.6 purchaser would have taken a hit (who knows), due to dilution of having 1 of 1, to 1 of 3..... we will really only know, if one of the 3 copies? comes up for sale, I suspect

If i had the money, the difference in value vs 1/1 vs 1/3 would not be much.   Getting a hold of one would be the only thing that mattered especially someone who that much money to spend

13 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

If i had the money, the difference in value vs 1/1 vs 1/3 would not be much.   Getting a hold of one would be the only thing that mattered especially someone who that much money to spend

I also think it won't take a hit - there are after all only 3 copies in 9.6 and I would think there would be enough demand for all 3 copies if they went up for sale, although I could be wrong, especially if all 3 came up for sale in a relatively short time span. (The 2nd Action 1 in 9.0 did pretty well - maybe comparing apples to oranges but you get what I mean). True there aren't many who have those kinds of funds to spend, but there are likely enough buyers out there who would be willing to splurge on such an iconic book.

5 hours ago, dem1138 said:
11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Even though some of them were apparently priced at only 2016 prices.  (shrug)

To clear this up for posterity as someone who is now aware of what the askings were for the 5.5 and the 6.5 - the 5.5 in Chicago was at current market 2017 pricing (well, current for post last CC sales); the 6.5 was below market for 2017 pricing (and closer to pricing prior to last CC sales) but was not priced at 2016 pricing.  

2016 pricing is a misnomer.

The book gained value throughout the course of 2016. Nobody is selling an AF #15 at early 2016 pricing,

But books were being offered at prices that looked reasonable compared to the record CC sales. And Bob's CGC 2.5 was reasonably priced even compared to '2016 prices', although it looks like it sold now as it's no longer on his site. It's still there, sorry folks.

My point about the prices in Chicago was that the largest international dealers still hadn't reached the new price range as of last weekend in Chicago.

Edited by VintageComics

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

The book gained value throughout the course of 2016. Nobody is selling an AF #15 at early 2016 pricing,

But books were being offered at prices that looked reasonable compared to the record CC sales. And Bob's CGC 2.5 was reasonably priced even compared to '2016 prices', although it looks like it sold now as it's no longer on his site.

My point about the prices in Chicago was that the largest international dealers still hadn't reached the new price range as of last weekend in Chicago.

Being a primary collector, I will tell you I'm a little shakey on the recent price trends. Bob Overstreet preached for years not to outgrow the Price Guide, but we've long since did that. I always looked forward to getting the new guide in and browsing the recent sales and current prices. It's a new era of pricing fellows. Good or not so good that remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

My 2.5 is still for sale and was repriced this morning.  Maybe you are looking on the high quality website?

I just came back to edit my post. Sorry.  :foryou:

When I searched your site I misspelled the word Fantasy.  :blush:

On ‎27‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, VintageComics said:

That's one of the things that has changed the most about the chat forum.

It used to be about the comics. Now it's about talking comics up or down.

I remember even back when I first joined the Boards in 2007 , that "big" books for sale were often hammered for every micro defect  ,  CGC grades questioned and typically talked downwards, I'm not so sure that has changed  much. And I'm talking about this happening mainly in Gold threads.

I just think that AF15 has now become one of those really "big" books, especially speculation wise , for dealers or collectors who want to quick flip (pseudo-dealers).  

11 minutes ago, fishbone said:

I remember even back when I first joined the Boards in 2007 , that "big" books for sale were often hammered for every micro defect  ,  CGC grades questioned and typically talked downwards, I'm not so sure that has changed  much. And I'm talking about this happening mainly in Gold threads.

I just think that AF15 has now become one of those really "big" books, especially speculation wise , for dealers or collectors who want to quick flip (pseudo-dealers).  

And it's the best of all worlds for the collector who wishes to hang on to their book(s). Satisfaction, enjoyment, and value. :banana:

30 minutes ago, fishbone said:

This 'talking down the book' all started when i asked about the gray become yellowish 7.5.  It was never my intention to 'talk the book down'.  I found it very helpful to get pewees input on the matter.  It appears he's the only other board member that cares about the gray background.

Edited by Spiderturtle

Ditto. I never talk down a book. Pure honesty about it's asthetics...good points, flaws, concerns, PQ, etc. We all do that here. Call it constructive criticism. It's only fair to the book and any potential owners. CGC is not perfect. They are not going to tell you if the book's cover has toned, the level of MC, a very light corner crease, etc. Insights are important. (thumbsu

22 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Ditto. I never talk down a book. Pure honesty about it's asthetics...good points, flaws, concerns, PQ, etc. We all do that here. Call it constructive criticism. It's only fair to the book and any potential owners. CGC is not perfect. They are not going to tell you if the book's cover has toned, the level of MC, a very light corner crease, etc. Insights are important. (thumbsu

Very altruistic of people to be so concerned about  "any potential owners" ...........  not sure I buy that one..............  anyway, I'm not pointing fingers, just commenting on Ray's comment about where the chat boards are now. My feeling over the years of reading many many threads about big books in auctions (especially in Gold)  is generally that of negativity towards the grade/look of the books  to the point where one has to wonder if people do try to influence the outcome of certain auctions/sales.  

If I'm a seller, or a soon-to-be seller of said book, I would be unhappy to read such down-talking of a book. If I were a dealer or prospective buyer, I would encourage the down-talking. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, as I've been and will be in both positions many more times I expect, just pointing out that the Chat Boards aren't always rainbows and unicorns and I don't think they've changed that much over the years. 

The day a person can't comment on a book, negative or positive, is the day the Boards need to be shut down.

And just like you, I'm all about the comics. I'm not a primary dealer or seller and in no way can (or will) I try to influence the market or a sale. (thumbsu

Edited by peewee22

This will probably be impossible for people to agree on (or answer) and I may well get laughed off the boards for asking but when will this "new" pricing become accepted and the prices become the norm - how many more sales will it take for people to accept this? (I'm genuinely asking and hope to get a positive conversation going (without any silly answers from you know who). I'm aware that some of the copies that sold for seemingly crazy prices could possibly have room for improvement but that's not the case with all of the books. The 7.5 on CC is now at $92200.00 and to me, without having seen the book in person, I don't think the grade will improve because of the chip out of the spine yet it's at a record price. I may well be wrong on this - if someone has seen it in person their feedback would be appreciated. I don't think it's a superior copy to the last 3 7.5s that sold but it's already surpassed those sales. It seems it is trickling down to the lower grades also. The 6.5 on CC is at $61000.00 even with cream to off white pages - can a nice looking copy with low PQ really be worth this? Someone thinks so.  A 3.0 that sold last night on CL for $16000.00(Dem1138). I think a few pages back someone said a 0.5 sold for $6500.00. It's become very bewildering and almost impossible to try and figure out where this book is heading. It's great if you already own a copy, but very scary if you are trying to pick one up or upgrade. Trickle down or trickle up, it seems that this wild ride isn't going to stop anytime soon. Feel free to chirp away.

Edited by Jordysnordy

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:
8 hours ago, dem1138 said:
14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Even though some of them were apparently priced at only 2016 prices.  (shrug)

+1

Definitely not referring to the early 2016 prices in my initial post as AF 15 prices were definitely increasing aggressively throughout all of 2016.  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Well, if this was the case, then I would also assume the buyers at C2E2 were also not in tune with the new higher price range as it sounds like none of the AF 15's sold at the convention.  Didn't matter if they were priced at the 2017 higher pricing or if they were priced at the below market pre-CC auction sales pricing.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

This will probably be impossible for people to agree on (or answer) and I may well get laughed off the boards for asking but when will this "new" pricing become accepted and the prices become the norm - how many more sales will it take for people to accept this? (I'm genuinely asking and hope to get a positive conversation going (without any silly answers from you know who). I'm aware that some of the copies that sold for seemingly crazy prices could possibly have room for improvement but that's not the case with all of the books. The 7.5 on CC is now at $92200.00 and to me, without having seen the book in person, I don't think the grade will improve because of the chip out of the spine yet it's at a record price. I may well be wrong on this - if someone has seen it in person their feedback would be appreciated. I don't think it's a superior copy to the last 3 7.5s that sold but it's already surpassed those sales. It seems it is trickling down to the lower grades also. The 6.5 on CC is at $61000.00 even with cream to off white pages - can a nice looking copy with low PQ really be worth this? Someone thinks so.  A 3.0 that sold last night on CL for $16000.00(Dem1138). I think a few pages back someone said a 0.5 sold for $6500.00. It's become very bewildering and almost impossible to try and figure out where this book is heading. It's great if you already own a copy, but very scary if you are trying to pick one up or upgrade. Trickle down or trickle up, it seems that this wild ride isn't going to stop anytime soon. Feel free to chirp away.

For me, it would after cl may grand auction.  You have from 3 different auction houses, grades in 4.0, 5.0, 6.0, 6.5, 7.5, 8.0.  All with no mc.   The dealers during the summer months then can confirm if these prices are sustainable during the summer conventions