• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2017 at 4:52 PM, VintageComics said:

There's a middle of the road CGC 4.5 in this week's Heritage auction. No MC, OW pages, no really glaring defects.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vg-45-off-white-pages/a/121712-13208.s?ctrack=1087068&type=spotlight-6--comic--news--tem031517#

If everyone believes that a 4.5 is now all of a sudden a $30K book then this one should sell for close to that as well.

That book just sold for $26,290.

How much longer before the sky falls?

Damn...

3 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

For now till the other 4.5 sells tomorrow evening it is at 26 700$ already.

Been saying people are willing to spend 30 percent more for no mc nice eye appeal in the same grade, look at ebay and the 4.5s sitting there vs this ha copy and the cc copy

Edited by Spiderturtle

1 hour ago, ProcessedMeatMan said:

That book just sold for $26,290.

How much longer before the sky falls?

Damn...

Won't fall that is like asking when will Action Comics 1 or Detective Comics 27 will fall....it won't it may max out some day (who knows in how many years could be 5 could be 10 could be more) but falling back down I doubt that very much. Spidey is a global icon....just like Superman and Batman!!

Edited by SupergirlDC19591
Text

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

Been saying people are willing to spend 30 percent more for no mc nice eye appeal in the same grade, look at ebay and the 4.5 sitting there vs this ha copy and the cc copy

Agreed to a certain extent....but some books like my CGC 6.5 have a minor chip and look otherwise very nice and could possibly grade higher like some stated here maybe a 7.0 or even a 7.5 so their are exceptions to no MC at all. I am sure there are more books like mine out there in CGC 6.0 and higher that would sell for current market value even with a minor chip. Not all chips are super intense looking.

Text

On 3/2/2017 at 10:07 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Here is my AF15.

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Front.jpg

Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 6.5 Back.jpg

I had posted it a while earlier. The image does not do it justice the colors are very vivid on my copy and the back looks a lot more white in person as well. Like I said I am sure some other people own similar looking copies in either the same grade range or higher and they should expect to get full market value for it when they sell it. With MC it truly is on a book to book basis (that is why you have to be careful not to throw them into the same category).

Text

12 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Won't fall that is like asking when will Action Comics 1 or Detective Comics 27 will fall....it won't it may max out some day (who knows in how many years could be 5 could be 10 could be more) but falling back down I doubt that very much. Spidey is a global icon....just like Superman and Batman!!

I was referring to VintageComics other post :)

I'm kinda bummed. I think I've been priced out of a 4.0 now 

10 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Which 8.5 sale are you referring to?  ???

The supposedly clearly overgraded 8.5 book slabbed by the other company which some apparent poor uninformed foolish imbecile had brought for $77.7K smackers, but yet somehow managed to resell it only a few short months later for $155.3K real dollars after getting it regraded as a 8.5 graded copy by CGC.  Or are you saying that he is still a foolish imbecile and should have waited a few more months since he would have gotten a lot more than $155.3K for the book?  hm  lol

As sick as it sounds....the 155k copy might have been a steal. If the 9.0 holds true to that 60-75% increase across the board pricing from 2014 to today....then it should sell for 340k or more. If that happens its gonna make even paying 155k for a 8.5 seem like a good price. Wow this book is dangerous. I think there might have been an evolution of thought on this book and it's driving the run on prices. This book IMO is clearly as important a book as Tec 27 and Action 1. The cultural and financial powerhouse that is Marvel is built on the back of this book in particular. Its an iconic cover with striking imagery that is so widely known you can find images of it on clothing and home decor items at retail shops like Target and Pier One.

This book is the '52 Mantle of comics. Its cultural importance is driving its value as much as its relative collector value and scarcity. This 9.0 will tell a big story if that increase holds across the board. If it does it probably means the interest in this book probably isn't an easily popped bubble of temporary interest and speculation.  We shall see.

Comic books are not stock shares, and their value will vary based on the particular features of each and every copy.  In other words, don't expect a 9.0 copy with several spine ticks, a tanning stripe along the bottom edge of the back cover, and a paper breaking crease on the back cover bottom left corner to fetch a price based solely on the sale prices of other copies sporting 8.5, 9.0, or 9.2 numerical grades.

Edited by namisgr

30 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Comic books are not stock shares, and their value will vary based on the particular features of each and every copy.  In other words, don't expect a 9.0 copy with several spine ticks, a tanning stripe along the bottom edge of the back cover, and a paper breaking crease on the back cover bottom left corner to fetch a price based solely on the sale prices of other copies sporting 8.5, 9.0, or 9.2 numerical grades.

Fair enough, than if this book is based solely on grade of the material and not the label of the slab, what what should this copy reach than?

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

Fair enough, than if this book is based solely on grade of the material and not the label of the slab, what what should this copy reach than?

I don't play in this end of the market, and have no idea.  Guess we'll find out soon enough what the community at large thinks of it.

11 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I had posted it a while earlier. The image does not do it justice the colors are very vivid on my copy and the back looks a lot more white in person as well. Like I said I am sure some other people own similar looking copies in either the same grade range or higher and they should expect to get full market value for it when they sell it. With MC it truly is on a book to book basis (that is why you have to be careful not to throw them into the same category).

SO BEAUTIFUL Congrats. I am looking to buy a Mid grade AMF15 NOw #bucketlist #dream

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:
1 hour ago, namisgr said:

I believe he is simply saying to buy the book, as opposed to buying the label.  (thumbsu

Especially when grading is still really more of an art, as opposed to a science.  And also when we have seen so many scans that indicate there are indeed tight grading time periods and loose grading time periods.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, zhamlau said:

As sick as it sounds....the 155k copy might have been a steal. If the 9.0 holds true to that 60-75% increase across the board pricing from 2014 to today....then it should sell for 340k or more. If that happens its gonna make even paying 155k for a 8.5 seem like a good price. Wow this book is dangerous. I think there might have been an evolution of thought on this book and it's driving the run on prices. This book IMO is clearly as important a book as Tec 27 and Action 1. The cultural and financial powerhouse that is Marvel is built on the back of this book in particular. Its an iconic cover with striking imagery that is so widely known you can find images of it on clothing and home decor items at retail shops like Target and Pier One.

The book still has a long way to go to hit your $340K projection since it is still sitting at only $202K with about 7 hours left.  Of course, most of the action will take place at the end and during the extended time bidding, so I guess it's just a matter of being patient and we'll see how everything shakes down after a few short hours from now.  :taptaptap:

As for image of this cover on clothing, it should be noted that there are tons of various comic book covers adorning various forms of clothing over the past few years.  In fact, I have even seen bright colorful underwear using the beautifully drawn classic Schomburg airbrush covers from Startling 49 & Startling 50 on sale in fashion stores here.  All sorts of cross product marketing and merchandising using comic book related imagery right now and for the foreseeable future.  (thumbsu

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I believe he is simply saying to buy the book, as opposed to buying the label.  (thumbsu

Especially when grading is still really more of an art, as opposed to a science.  And also when we have seen so many scans that indicate there are indeed tight grading time periods and loose grading time periods.  hm

No I got that, Im just saying most buyers at this point on this copy are buying the label not the book. I think that grading has on some level taken copies like this and put them more like a stock than a funny book and its value is more like its equity taking the value of the book and subtracting its flaws to come up with the price . (thumbsu. Not saying its right or wrong, just that seems to be the driving force on these prices.

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

If the 9.0 holds true to that 60-75% increase across the board pricing from 2014 to today....then it should sell for 340k or more.

As the approaching hours get closer, I am starting to lean to the school of thought that this copy might not be able to crack the $300K mark.  (shrug)

Not sure why, but maybe there's just been too many nice copies showing up in too short of a time frame.  hm

Can't wait to see as I guess we'll all find out soon enough.  :taptaptap: