• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS #59

22 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75&item=2157695440&rd=1

This has got to be the best color strike I've ever seen on this book. I have a 9.0, but the colors on this one blow mine away. This is one case in which I would pass over a structurally higher grade for this 9.0

It's been there for a long time.

I find his prices are on the high end when it comes to 9.4 or higher, especially on top census books. But for the "lower" high grades, his prices tend to be ok.

Sean would be able to concur with me on this but I think that what we are looking at is scanner artifact. ALL the colors are weighted HEAVILY towards the blue (much like when Juaito's scanner blue-tones the purple labels in some of his auctions. Just look at the label itself. Are the CGC labels THAT color??? Are even the white areas of the label slightly tinted blue? Mark didn't do this intentionally, his scanner just biased the image blue. That's not the original production color DOTS in the white background field that the book was printed with. Sean? Any input?

Hey all -

I am looking at this scan too - I think the white in the label looks OK, but the yellow in "Iron Man" looks grayed or colored somehow. There may actually be a slight blue tinting to the scan since the CGC label looks much deeper blue than any of my own labels.

That said, I compared this one to my copy of #59 and envied the color strike as well. My blue on the cover is a pale pastel compared to this one. The reds and yellows seem bright enough, but not nearly as vibrant as this cover appears to be.

Now if only someone would pay $1200 for my 9.2 copy...ha! grin.gif

Dan

C'mon guys. The whites are still white. Just not "normal" period Marvel whites. It's the same effect as Xenon headlights vs. regular headlights. Just take a look. How can you not see that? The ultra deep blue label perimeter is the dead giveaway. A book CAN'T be that color if it wasn't produced with that color ink in the dot pattern.

Well either I just got the best deal ever on a ToS 59 9.0 or something is way wrong with the Heritage auction. Maybe that one at Heritage was an undergraded 9.4 like with those cage books. If it was a legit purchase, I sure hope the buyer does not have access to ebay - he might be upset with the price he paid. $355 is about what i expected the heritage book to sell for. Maybe their big scans and fancy catalogs really do bring in more money?

I couldn't fathom how that jumped like that..I think all the action on that book happened with 1 day left. If someone really paid 1,250 they are either out of touch with what the book sells for..or have some insider info that other's don't tongue.gif

Personally, I think that same book will show up in Heritage's "inventory" or their next auction.

Brian

What are some of the hardest to find "non-key" super hero books to find?

Some I've had trouble finding in high grade are:

Brave & Bold #31, 32, 33

Tales of Suspense 49

Superman 199

JLA 31

Anybody got any of these in NM 9.4?

I agree that the background color is a little heavily weighted toward the blue.

Here are a couple of scans of my TOS #59. The background is lighter and a bit greener. 'Take 3' has been slightly color shifted to the blue from 'Take 1' but at least on my monitor is closest to what the book actually looks like.

Take 1

Take3

(Had the links wrong on my first try. Now I think it works.)