• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel 18 5th print

33 posts in this topic

Since I've gotten active in my collecting again in the last year, I've been surprised to find those worthless Whitman reprints of DC comics now have value

DC Whitmans were not reprints.

But don't pay any attention to them, everyone just move along, nothing to see here.

None of the DC and Marvel Whitmans are reprints, with one very notable exception.

Since I've gotten active in my collecting again in the last year, I've been surprised to find those worthless Whitman reprints of DC comics now have value

But don't pay any attention to them, everyone just move along, nothing to see here.

Perhaps not, but we sure treated them as if they were, the only reason to have one in your collection was you hadn't found a "real" one yet.

Perhaps not, but we sure treated them as if they were, the only reason to have one in your collection was you hadn't found a "real" one yet.

Now that's an honest 70/80s comic collector view right there. We all viewed those books like that back then.

I found a 5th print awhile back and was looking for some info when I found this thread.

Modern collectors are now chasing incentive variants, rare multiple printings, chase covers, sketch covers, foreign editions....etc.

There are so many new people jumping into this hobby and they are not burdened with the old rules of collecting. They have a better understanding that common first prints are overproduced. The market is doing new and exciting things. It is not surprising to me at all that this 5th printing of MoS 18 is getting premium prices. It's sad to hear old collectors who can't appreciate rare variants. In this time of eBay, when almost everything can be found, hunting and chasing rare editions of books that cannot be instantly purchased is much more fulfilling.

There are so many new people jumping into this hobby and they are not burdened with the old rules of collecting. They have a better understanding that common first prints are overproduced. ... It's sad to hear old collectors who can't appreciate rare variants.

Interesting spin. hm

I found a 5th print awhile back and was looking for some info when I found this thread.

Modern collectors are now chasing incentive variants, rare multiple printings, chase covers, sketch covers, foreign editions....etc.

There are so many new people jumping into this hobby and they are not burdened with the old rules of collecting. They have a better understanding that common first prints are overproduced. The market is doing new and exciting things. It is not surprising to me at all that this 5th printing of MoS 18 is getting premium prices. It's sad to hear old collectors who can't appreciate rare variants. In this time of eBay, when almost everything can be found, hunting and chasing rare editions of books that cannot be instantly purchased is much more fulfilling.

Don't let the old fogies get you down. The market has decided that rare reprints fetch higher prices than the mass produced and easy to find first printings. Especially MoS #18 where the first print I think is still on the rack at your LCS after all these years! :cool:

Seriously though, this is not new. Here are a few later, scarcer reprints that are more valuable than the first prints:

Spiderman #1 Gold second print (1990)

Spawn #1 B&W

Batman #608 second print, RRP

Batman #612 second print

Batman #1 New 52 fifth print

I also found that

Superman #74 - 4th print

Justice league #69 - 4th Print

Action Comics #684 - 3rd print

and man of steel #19 - 3rd print

are all going for Big $$$

Did they make a higher 3,4, or 5th print print of adventures of superman #497 and a 5th print of Superman #75???

I also found that

Superman #74 - 4th print

Did they make a higher 3,4, or 5th print print of adventures of superman #497 and a 5th print of Superman #75???

No, just a 4th of #75 (but there are newsies and direct of all of them) and I think there is just a 2nd of #497 (No DCU variant).

Don't let the old fogies get you down. The market has decided that rare reprints fetch higher prices than the mass produced and easy to find first printings. Especially MoS #18 where the first print I think is still on the rack at your LCS after all these years! :cool:

Seriously though, this is not new. Here are a few later, scarcer reprints that are more valuable than the first prints:

Spiderman #1 Gold second print (1990)

Spawn #1 B&W

Batman #608 second print, RRP

Batman #612 second print

Batman #1 New 52 fifth print

Spider-Man Gold second print #1 must be the one with the UPC code, If not, then it is a $2-4.00 comic

Spider-Man Gold second print #1 must be the one with the UPC code, If not, then it is a $2-4.00 comic

Well the UPC code is on its own level, clearly worth a lot.

I actually meant the direct version which doesn't go for $2-4 unless a seller is asleep. Look on ebay, the last 30 days one copy sold in that range. Most others are $6-15.

I also found that

Superman #74 - 4th print

Don't forget Adventures of Superman #497 3rd print which sells for higher also.

That Man of Steel #19 3rd print is extremely rare. I wish the DC/Marvel made their print runs for variants public but just by my own obsessive watching I would guess that one has a print run of maybe a couple thousand. It comes up on ebay once or twice a month, sometimes not at all.