• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,494 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

But two years later Saaf and Jim Vadeboncouer conferred and changed the accreditation to Sekowsky pencils. 

Jim V. is almost always right.

For comparison, here's a Colleta page that is very clearly Colleta.

ColletaStdp2 PopRom28.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr. Love said:

As indicated on the back of the piece, Popular Romance 25.

I was looking everywhere on the front.... :tonofbricks:

I recently got this from Bob...… one of the keepers. It has a story in it that's attributed to Bill La Cava, but it sure looks like Matt Baker to me.Quite a few panels just scream Baker. Either way, I'm just not seeing La Cava on this one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

DSCN6913 (2).JPG

DSCN6914.JPG

DSCN6915.JPG

DSCN6916 (2).JPG

5 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Nah, that's Baker for sure.  Art of Glamour lists it, but on this one no book is needed, eh?  One of his best splashes for Atlas, too.

Atlas Tales shows Bill LaCava as doing all war/suspense, and then this one romance story?  I don't think so!

That's what I thought too..... and La Cava's style is so different. Those Atlas Tales guys are usually on the money.... I'm betting this was a clerical error or something. Every now and then I find an uncredited Baker in this time frame of Atlas.... certainly a treat. I'm real happy with it, Bob called it a 6.5, but it seems every bit of that. The only thing better than a Pike sandwiched between two Collettas is a Baker sandwiched between two Collettas :cloud9: This one doesn't seem to have Colletta inks either. I also don't think he inked MOR 47. GOD BLESS...

18 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Jim V. is almost always right.

For comparison, here's a Colleta page that is very clearly Colleta.

ColletaStdp2 PopRom28.jpg

Clearly a great example of Colletta's work!  CGC says I have a problem "liking" your post (some weird Board technical issues lately...).  No problem - I actually LOVE IT!

7 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

The only thing better than a Pike sandwiched between two Collettas is a Baker sandwiched between two Collettas

+1!

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:45 AM, *Bronze age fan* said:

Wish I had every atlas. Lol. But I do have some of them. :headbang:

In a way, it's your fault I even collect Atlas romance. :baiting: When you were putting together your runs of every Marvel made from 1957 on, you used to periodically post lists of what you still needed.... the hard to find stuff. Naturally there was a lot of Romance, War, and Westerns. I love a challenge so started trying to find them at shows to help out. My friend Gene used to have 4 or 5 short boxes of Atlas with dozens of fairly sharp Romance …. I was slowly drawn in. Those books are long gone now, with few replacements in sight ,,,,, can't find much on eBay even.... other than the overgraded and overpriced stuff that just sits and sits. Metro is wiped out, Worldwide is wiped out, no one really has any except maybe Harley and Terry, both of whom I never see any more. GOD BLESS....

Edited by jimjum12

On 8/27/2018 at 7:04 AM, Microbia said:

Nice Hartley cover on this one...  entertaining book, entertaining babe. 

E6246BAA-80ED-434D-9D30-899CA38CF55A.jpeg

With his foot up there like that it looks pretty uncomfortable (not to mention his tiny feet)...  I'll bet there's a sweet Pike interior story!

On 8/27/2018 at 9:08 AM, jimjum12 said:

In a way, it's your fault I even collect Atlas romance. :baiting: When you were putting together your runs of every Marvel made from 1957 on, you used to periodically post lists of what you still needed.... the hard to find stuff. Naturally there was a lot of Romance, War, and Westerns. I love a challenge so started trying to find them at shows to help out. My friend Gene used to have 4 or 5 short boxes of Atlas with dozens of fairly sharp Romance …. I was slowly drawn in. Those books are long gone now, with few replacements in sight ,,,,, can't find much on eBay even.... other than the overgraded and overpriced stuff that just sits and sits. Metro is wiped out, Worldwide is wiped out, no one really has any except maybe Harley and Terry, both of whom I never see any more. GOD BLESS....

I am glad I turned you onto something you enjoy collecting!!! I got more enjoyment finding some of those issues cause they were so hard to find. :headbang:

On 8/26/2018 at 7:23 AM, jimjum12 said:

I recently got this from Bob...… one of the keepers. It has a story in it that's attributed to Bill La Cava, but it sure looks like Matt Baker to me.Quite a few panels just scream Baker. Either way, I'm just not seeing La Cava on this one. GOD BLESS...

DSCN6913 (2).JPG

DSCN6914.JPG

DSCN6915.JPG

DSCN6916 (2).JPG

:golfclap:No question on the interiors, but (Colleta's?) inks are strong on the cover, but yes, there are strong Baker hallmarks standing out from under. I will have to spring for a copy of 'Art of Glamour' as i see many updates and confirmations have been made that weren't 'decided' on for the 'Alter Ego #47' piece. 

Speaking of which, i got back last night in time to catch the opening books on the CC auction. I think there was an unconfirmed on the label Baker cover (or two) 'hidden' in those 'My Own Romance' lots. They went real cheap, even with a little back and forth bidding war on the #65 (something going on with that one i don't know about)?

On 9/1/2018 at 7:40 PM, sagii said:

:golfclap:No question on the interiors, but (Colleta's?) inks are strong on the cover, but yes, there are strong Baker hallmarks standing out from under. I will have to spring for a copy of 'Art of Glamour' as i see many updates and confirmations have been made that weren't 'decided' on for the 'Alter Ego #47' piece. 

Speaking of which, i got back last night in time to catch the opening books on the CC auction. I think there was an unconfirmed on the label Baker cover (or two) 'hidden' in those 'My Own Romance' lots. They went real cheap, even with a little back and forth bidding war on the #65 (something going on with that one i don't know about)?

I don't think Baker contributed to the cover of SoR 13.  Missed that CC romance lot.  The Art of Glamour says the "I Met My Love Again" story in MOR 65 is by "Baker and/or Vince Colletta?"