• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

It's funny how this thread has gone from "what are the rarest romance comics?" to "show your romance comics".

Here's one of mine and I hope Bo Hogg doesn't mind.

UntamedLove1_zps7cf251fa.jpg

This thread seems to have become the place to discuss all things romantic. And a place like this is needed. There's the Baker Romance thread... then there's everything else. This is one of the most happening threads on the boards.

:cool:

Thought this one was going cheap, so I picked it up as well.

RAD138B92014411_174115_zpsbef409a2.jpg

Nice book, buddy. :applause: Think about cracking it out. It's got a coveted tiny man story. "The Man I Kept On A String" is a hoot and a half.

And again I ask, and over the years I have yet to get an answer, concerning the sig on the cover. I've got to tell you, whoever she was, she had a substantial collection. Maybe the first, and only, original romance collection that survived.

Who in the world was "Nance"?

Normally, I'm not a big fan of S&K romance, but this one just sings to me. Goofy kind of romance/teen humor cover.

RADDAFBD201464_14121_zpsbde29fce.jpg

Again, great score, Sqeggs! :headbang:

The King can make believers of us all. Sold his vision to our mothers and grandmothers. Created the Romance Rainbow Bridge that helped generate the liquidity to carry the biz from glittery Gold to shiny Silver.

Back in the day, when Marvel collectors were squabbling over who was strongest, Thor or the Hulk, romance collectors were divided over My Date and Young Romance as to which was the first romance title.

The composition (and coloring) of #3 is divine. imho. Here's the #2. Not too shabby, especially if you're into purple (who isn't?), but outdone by #3.

MyDate02fc101_zps971783c0.jpg

mmmmmm...purple :cloud9:

Normally, I'm not a big fan of S&K romance, but this one just sings to me. Goofy kind of romance/teen humor cover.

Again, great score, Sqeggs! :headbang:

The King can make believers of us all. Sold his vision to our mothers and grandmothers. Created the Romance Rainbow Bridge that helped generate the liquidity to carry the biz from glittery Gold to shiny Silver.

Back in the day, when Marvel collectors were squabbling over who was strongest, Thor or the Hulk, romance collectors were divided over My Date and Young Romance as to which was the first romance title.

The composition (and coloring) of #3 is divine. imho. Here's the #2. Not too shabby, especially if you're into purple (who isn't?), but outdone by #3.

MyDate02fc101_zps971783c0.jpg

Tiny man. My wife gets a big kick out of this one. What's up with that?

LoveDiary16fc100_zps2b02827b.jpg

"Classic Tiny Man cover."

:roflmao:

Great photo cover and also like the tiny man on a string in the YR #12. I'll have to read that one some day.

Tiny man. My wife gets a big kick out of this one. What's up with that?

LoveDiary16fc100_zps2b02827b.jpg

"Classic Tiny Man cover."

:roflmao:

Great photo cover and also like the tiny man on a string in the YR #12. I'll have to read that one some day.

I'm trying to figure out the logistics of how they consummate their love... I'll keep my theories to myself though.

For those interested, I've made a Photobucket album which contains all the Alice Kelley covers (the most likely ones) and images we've collected over the past week or so. Any new discoveries will be added faithfully. Enjoy.

Alice Kelley Album

While searching the net, I found about half a dozen more b&w studio photos of Miss Kelley, including a couple of sweet cheesecake shots.

Hey 29dukedog! I think I found a couple more Alice Kelley comics!

Popular Romance #15

Sweetheart Diary #8

Just an FYI, but on the last page of your album, the woman with the high-cut bangs looks more like Bettie Page to me than Ms. Kelley!

For those interested, I've made a Photobucket album which contains all the Alice Kelley covers (the most likely ones) and images we've collected over the past week or so. Any new discoveries will be added faithfully. Enjoy.

Alice Kelley Album

While searching the net, I found about half a dozen more b&w studio photos of Miss Kelley, including a couple of sweet cheesecake shots.

Popular Romance #15

Sweetheart Diary #8

Just an FYI, but on the last page of your album, the woman with the high-cut bangs looks more like Bettie Page to me than Ms. Kelley!

Those two are certainly showing the dimples.

Alice Kelley Album

Popular Romance #15

Sweetheart Diary #8

A few pages back, Dr. Love posted a romance magazine cover with the same Bettie Page lookalike. A few days later, I stumbled upon that issue of Complete Love with the same model on the cover. I, too, have my doubts about that girl being Alice.

Oddly enough, I was recently looking at that same issue of Sweetheart Diary, myself, debating whether or not to add it to the album. I guess I have just a few too many doubts about that one.

But Popular Romance 15 is a slam dunk Alice Kelley cover. Great find. I'm going to go add that one right now...

But Popular Romance 15 is a slam dunk Alice Kelley cover. Great find. I'm going to go add that one right now...

Such a slam-dunk that I just bought a copy.

I sticky-noted it just now in your honor.

The search for other Dimples Dollface covers continues....

P.S. If the Sweetheart Diary #8 comic isn't a slam dunk, then it's at least an alley-oop.

148384.jpg.8e22672474f5be37a0b53f9626f5ca68.jpg

Such a slam-dunk that I just bought a copy.

I sticky-noted it just now in your honor.

The search for other Dimples Dollface covers continues....

P.S. If the Sweetheart Diary #8 comic isn't a slam dunk, then it's at least an alley-oop.

I'm honored by your post-it.

The Sweetheart Diary 8 may in fact be an AK cover... it just looks a little too much like it could be another model, as well. I just feel that something else is needed to tip the scale in her favor. Dimples, alone, aren't going to do it for me in this case.

I thought I'd found a nice copy of Sweet Love 3, but the seller is telling me he can't locate the book. He has no record of selling it... he just doesn't know where he put it. I was all excited about buying it, because it's probably my favorite AK cover. Now I'm forced to "cool my heels" and wonder if it'll still turn up.

DimpleDoll002_zpseeaf296e.jpg

I thought I'd found a nice copy of Sweet Love 3, but the seller is telling me he can't locate the book. He has no record of selling it... he just doesn't know where he put it. I was all excited about buying it, because it's probably my favorite AK cover. Now I'm forced to "cool my heels" and wonder if it'll still turn up.

Cool your ice-skating heels?

I hope it turns up... Maybe he's waiting to find out if Alice Kelley awareness will blossom and make the books more valuable.

Cool your ice-skating heels?

I hope it turns up... Maybe he's waiting to find out if Alice Kelley awareness will blossom and make the books more valuable.

If that ever happens, I predict the one book that may become more valuable than the rest might be Campus Loves 3, since, to date, it's the only known AK book that identifies her by name in the indicia. (And do you realize how lucky we were that it did? If not for that one book, we might still not even know her name.)

Kind of like this one. (Different copy from the one offered recently on the boards.) Has a Lily Renee story. The cover artist looks familiar, but I'm not sure who it might be. hm

59a6919c-4676-404e-9f78-5531dde5a150_zps20894173.jpg

Kind of like this one. (Different copy from the one offered recently on the boards.) Has a Lily Renee story. The cover artist looks familiar, but I'm not sure who it might be. hm

59a6919c-4676-404e-9f78-5531dde5a150_zps20894173.jpg

One of the better GGA/headlights covers, overlooked by many because it's on such an obscure title. The cover art reminds me of the style of art seen on Harvey publications, etc.