• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,494 posts in this topic

I always thought this was cool run.....even when I didn't know anyone who collected romance. I saw it for the first time at the LCS over 20 years ago when a long time Romance collector decided to sell his collection to Dave..... hundreds of them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

FORBIDDEN%20LOVE%2010002.jpg

It's one of the classics. Great pickup!

I always thought this was cool run.....even when I didn't know anyone who collected romance. I saw it for the first time at the LCS over 20 years ago when a long time Romance collector decided to sell his collection to Dave..... hundreds of them. GOD BLESS...

:applause::applause:

:applause::applause:

:applause::applause::applause:

Thanks, Doc....other than the tiny piece out on the spine and a couple of NCB dimples, there's not really anything wrong with it. There can't be a bunch of nice ones...but I confess, I didn't check the census. GOD BLESS...

And they look SupaGood in grade..... what impresses me is the quality of the work inside.... unlike many cover artists, 'ole Vinny didn't skimp on the stories, sometimes doing 2 in one issue. The every so often Pike stories are also superb. Nice pickup ...... yesterday's show ? GOD BLESS....

Yep. That one was from Superworld. Harley also had in a new collection that included some romance books, including the Love Letters I just posted. I'll try to scan a few of the others as well.

and btw in honor of your awesome atlas pickup - and I'm talking about the love book here of course! - here's a Steranko quote on Vinnie C

"You should see Vinnie’s romance books—those he penciled and inked—to judge his artistic abilities. He’d knock me out by drawing the most beautiful women—but directly with an ink pen on blank paper, NO PENCILS underneath! Pact with the devil!"

Seeing Colletta's work on romance covers here gives me new respect for him as an artist. For a long time I didn't like his work based on his inking of Kirby on Thor. But seeing these covers, one can tell that he really loved the romance work, and that he just wasn't wild about cranking out Marvel's superhero product.

Another artist that tried to fit into Marvel's superhero world and didn't was Bob Powell. He was a fantastic artist but his work for Marvel is really uninspired.

Thanks to all for sharing the Colletta covers. The romance inspired him to really bring a flair to his work!

The guy actually looks like a teenager -- and possibly older than the girl. :D

_57_zpsxjonduyh.jpg

:cloud9: Peter Parker....... GOD BLESS....

lol

and btw in honor of your awesome atlas pickup - and I'm talking about the love book here of course! - here's a Steranko quote on Vinnie C

"You should see Vinnie’s romance books—those he penciled and inked—to judge his artistic abilities. He’d knock me out by drawing the most beautiful women—but directly with an ink pen on blank paper, NO PENCILS underneath! Pact with the devil!"

Seeing Colletta's work on romance covers here gives me new respect for him as an artist. For a long time I didn't like his work based on his inking of Kirby on Thor. But seeing these covers, one can tell that he really loved the romance work, and that he just wasn't wild about cranking out Marvel's superhero product.

Another artist that tried to fit into Marvel's superhero world and didn't was Bob Powell. He was a fantastic artist but his work for Marvel is really uninspired.

Thanks to all for sharing the Colletta covers. The romance inspired him to really bring a flair to his work!

..... his work for Atlas in the Action and Horror genres is even better, but it was a much smaller output. I could be wrong, but I don't recall him doing any War. GOD BLESS...