• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
32 32

6,415 posts in this topic

Sorry this reminder wasn't posted at least 12 hours ago, but I just remembered it, myself:

Don't forget to watch Alice (Dollface Dimples) Kelley in "June Bride" (1948) on the TCM network today at 3:15 PM Central.

That's only two hours' notice, from where my time machine sits. Sorry about that. But if you didn't already set your DVR to record it, today, as I did, then you've nobody to blame but yourself. I did make the announcement about a week ago.

:whistle:

12054e57-8fcd-4337-9cc3-dd84a4fb28a4.jpg

Was that a win on CC? I went after a couple of the Spirit GGA sections but by the time I had a chance to check on them, the auctions were over.

Great pick up!

Was that a win on CC? I went after a couple of the Spirit GGA sections but by the time I had a chance to check on them, the auctions were over.

Great pick up!

Yep, I won that and a few other Spirit's last night on CC. Auction fever was running high on these (along with everything else I guess).

This post may be about as OT as it gets around here, but this time of the year is always so bittersweet, to me. I'll tell you why.

First, a personal hero of mine died on May 31st, 1996. Timothy Leary was the reluctant figurehead for the drug counterculture of the '60's. (That's not why he's one of my heroes, though.) The guy also happened to be a *spoon*ing genius. Later in life, he began to focus his attentions on such monumental and far-reaching subjects as the dismal future of man's natural evolution on this "prison planet" (and what we'd need to do about it)... life extension through gene manipulation technologies that were already being developed in the '70's and '80's, doubtless perfected by now (not that you'll ever see a TV commercial or documentary about them)... and space migration; an absolute necessity if mankind ever wants to achieve his greatest genetic potential and true immortality. (Besides, planets don't last forever.)

I'll bet by now I've lost 80% of my readers. No matter. Like Don Martin, I'll Forge a Head.

Then, of course, there's June 1st. Marilyn Monroe's birthday. Did she commit suicide, or was she assassinated by the Kennedy administration for sleeping with both John F. and Robert, and then threatening to go public with some very sensitive info she'd been privy to, if Robert broke off their relationship?

You know, I don't know. I don't care. She's gone, whatever the reason was. It was a big mess at the time, and a lot of things could have happened. I do know this much- earlier, on the day she died, she was given tranquilizers by her personal physician, and also given sedatives by her personal psychiatrist, but there had been no communication between those two doctors! Her death, in actuality, may have just been a stupid mistake, an innocent, lethal drug interaction, and nothing more. (Convenient as hell for the Kennedys, but a simple mistake, nonetheless.)

I kinda like to think that's all it really was... and then just move on to simply adoring her for who she was in life, and for what she left us.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Then, we come to June 3rd, 1992, and the passing of William M. Gaines. Everybody on this forum owes an enormous debt of gratitude to this guy, and I doubt I need to spend much time explaining why. Besides the great EC line, and Bill's numerous battles in defense of comics in general, and of First Amendment rights in particular, it was MAD magazine that almost single-handedly defined for our culture the kind of irreverent satire that is popular today. May Fredric Wertham turn over in his grave every time someone speaks the name of Bill Gaines.

And that's why this time of the year is always bittersweet to me. But June is sure a lovely month, and the scent of lilacs never fails to instantly take me back to my childhood neighborhood...

"Psyche" (1980) by Barry Windsor Smith

MM014_zps8ad835a9.jpg

Nice little write up. Barry Smith captures something magical in that illustration.

Ken

Great pick up!

Yep, I won that and a few other Spirit's last night on CC. Auction fever was running high on these (along with everything else I guess).

Congrats on the Spirit's.

Keeping the theme of your Spirit and Dr. Love's Eisners, here's one with an "Ellen tries to get a prom date with the Spirit" story.

SpiritSection_zps7ec7f70f.jpg

Great pick up!

Congrats on the Spirit's.

Keeping the theme of your Spirit and Dr. Love's Eisners, here's one with an "Ellen tries to get a prom date with the Spirit" story.

SpiritSection_zps7ec7f70f.jpg

Classic! :D

PS45fc100_zpsa0f7936c.jpg

PS52fc100_zps1554ebe5.jpg

How many of these have Eisner covers? Did he do any interiors, too?

Those are great! Eisner did over 200, maybe 300 covers for this magazine - which is not a comic but does have illustrations inside - I don't know how many by Eisner. Connie Rodd, the classic Eisner blonde was prominently featured on maybe 20-25% of the covers.

Dr. Love was kind enough to loan me his copy of the definitive history of PS Magazine. Eisner was responsible for 227 issues. Based on what I've seen and his past history/ability, I suspect he had a hand in every cover. Most likely there was little involvement by other artists with respect to covers but I'm not familiar enough with all of the issues to be certain of that.

:whistle:

12054e57-8fcd-4337-9cc3-dd84a4fb28a4.jpg

Great pick up!

That's a hilarious story. "Am I too stupid to be loved?" lol

News Flash! Four more covers added to the Alice Ann Kelley album... If these aren't all her, too, I'll eat my hat. Notice how in the second and third photos, the male model is the same guy, as well...

DimpleDoll037_zps307ba25c.jpg

DimpleDoll038_zpse1bf3aa4.jpg

DimpleDoll039_zps3485f88a.jpg

DimpleDoll040_zps3b8cdca9.jpg

News Flash! Four more covers added to the Alice Ann Kelley album... If these aren't all her, too, I'll eat my hat. Notice how in the second and third photos, the male model is the same guy, as well...

DimpleDoll037_zps307ba25c.jpg

DimpleDoll038_zpse1bf3aa4.jpg

DimpleDoll039_zps3485f88a.jpg

DimpleDoll040_zps3b8cdca9.jpg

Good work! All four get my vote.

BTW, if you didn't catch "June Bride" yesterday... Alice had exactly two lines of dialogue, during about twenty seconds of screen time in the entire film.

But seeing her in motion really helps to know what she looks like, from various angles...which helps in identifying her still photos.

More photos being added to the Alice Kelley album...

(Here's that same male model again. There are at least three others with Alice and this guy.)

DimpleDoll041_zps79ffc6a1.jpg

Another good catch!